Driving backwards :(

I’ve been doing class 2 caged, stored deliveries for a year or so now - it’s a doddle. I’ve come off ten+ years coach driving so can do this job with my eyes closed.

I passed my C+E nearly two years ago but just can’t get past a driving assessment due to the old reversing problem :frowning:

I’ve had three assessments with local outfits - all have gone brilliantly until it comes to getting a trailer on a bay - which I f$#k up completely and they say ‘thanks but no thanks’.

Last summer I paid for a day’s training with a local provider and did get a bit better but I’ve just lost my confidence completely now to the point where I pulled out of an assessment yesterday as I didn’t think it was even worth bothering with.

The class 2 work is drying up locally and there’s stacks of class 1 stuff which I’m missing out on.

Any tips?!

Get a day yard shunting

ROG:
Get a day yard shunting

Yeah one place did say they could arrange that for me but then changed their mind - maybe wrong time of year??

Somebody else mentioned that’s a good way to go!

Who’s going to pay a shunter who can’t back onto a bay, I suppose you might get lucky but…

I would think your best options are to do a day with a trainer or try to pick up a few days agency work on C+E in your holidays.

tachograph:
Who’s going to pay a shunter who can’t back onto a bay :confused:

Should have made it clearer - get a day yard shunting with the on site shunter and do it for free if the company are ok with that

Yeah I’d be absolutely up for doing a day (or two or whatever!) for free if it means I come away with the confidence I need.

Will ask around and see if anyone will take pity on me :wink:

ROG:

tachograph:
Who’s going to pay a shunter who can’t back onto a bay :confused:

Should have made it clearer - get a day yard shunting with the on site shunter and do it for free if the company are ok with that

Yes I thought afterwards that was probably what was meant but wasn’t sure.

@ simonp
Whereabouts are you located, someone on this board may be able to help or give you some pointers

I suggest you persevere with applications and assessments. Just be honest and say you’re rather rusty on reversing, you might need a little help getting back to grips with it again.

Some haulage companies are feeling the pinch with driver availability so are more likely to be desperate and may take on rusty and inexperienced drivers who show they are fundamentally sound.

Been there, done that, and I know exactly how you feel.

I passed in a W&D and had exactly the same problem you have. This is what I did:

I registered with a couple of agencies and told them I didn’t feel my reversing was good enough for Class 1 work. I said I would take Class 2 jobs but, if they were stuck for a Class 1 driver, I would ‘have a go’.

After doing about 6 Class 2 jobs they asked me to do a Class 1, Essex to Warrington on a Friday night (probably why they couldn’t cover the job). My reverse and trailer swap at Warrington must have taken me best part of an hour but so what? At 1am I had the yard to myself. My return trip was to a trailer park where I had enough space to do a straight reverse into my slot.

Within a week they were ‘stuck’ again for a Class 1 driver. I began by dropping a trailer at a trailer park where there was a choice of spaces, so I picked an ‘easy’ one. Next was a delivery to a garden centre where I could drive in and reverse out (with someone watching me back), then another trailer park drop. The last one was a bit tricky but I asked another driver to watch me in. I told him I had only driven W&Ds and he laughed and said, "You are a better man than me if you can drive one of them ****s. Three attempts and I was in.

Since then I have continued to improve, but still have to do shunts quite often. As I said earlier, “So what?” I still will not do Class 1 multi-drop but that doesn’t bother me a bit, because I don’t want to do it anyway.

Nobody was born able to reverse an artic. It comes with practice. I just put myself in a position where I could practice AND get paid for it.

Hope that helps.

Alan

Thanks Alan. It’s good to hear I’m not alone!

It just bugs me that I can drive a rigid with my eyes closed (I don’t of course!) but I look such a tool in an artic :frowning: My worst nightmare is holding up half-a-dozen drivers whilst I ■■■■ about trying to shunt onto a bay.

I’d say If you have a car with tow bar try rent or borrow a trailer and practice on your own somewhere quiet. I know it’s a lot smaller than a class 1 but it gives you the idea.

simonp:
My worst nightmare is holding up half-a-dozen drivers whilst I ■■■■ about trying to shunt onto a bay.

I used to think that too. I now just think that I’d rather be laughed at for being slow, or getting out and looking, than being laughed at for ramming into something. Also, if you are on your own somewhere you are not familiar then getting out and looking is usually the right thing to do. Twice or more if required!

That’s a shame they’re not more forgiving on your reversing - I’m still pretty crap after 15 shifts at work - well sometimes it’s absolutely fine, but like last night I took 3 shunts into a tight doorway then the warehouse bloke saved me by directing me in. I do find it a bit embarrassing but I just laugh at myself, explain I’m new & a bit crap at backing in and leave people to make of me what they will. Yes we put pressure on ourselves if people are waiting, but if you can shift out their way a bit and let them past, that’s what I do… otherwise, bugger 'em - our job is to deliver stuff safely & legally, I’d rather put a couple of people out for ten minutes than damage a vehicle or trailer :slight_smile:
Could you not just pay for a few hours of reversing lessons?

Face:
That’s a shame they’re not more forgiving on your reversing - I’m still pretty crap after 15 shifts at work - well sometimes it’s absolutely fine, but like last night I took 3 shunts into a tight doorway then the warehouse bloke saved me by directing me in. I do find it a bit embarrassing but I just laugh at myself, explain I’m new & a bit crap at backing in and leave people to make of me what they will. Yes we put pressure on ourselves if people are waiting, but if you can shift out their way a bit and let them past, that’s what I do… otherwise, bugger 'em - our job is to deliver stuff safely & legally, I’d rather put a couple of people out for ten minutes than damage a vehicle or trailer :slight_smile:
Could you not just pay for a few hours of reversing lessons?

When I ask someone to guide me in most will be happy to help. I’ve had some that moan but I just tell them. “You help me back in as I’m new at this or you may have to deal with a damaged door if I miss it.”

Best bet I think is to get a Class 2 job with a company that also runs artics. Let it be known you have a class 1 license, bide your time then start mithering them to let you have a go with the bendy’s. If your already a trusted employee they are more likely to support you & be patient as you learn the craft, you just need the opportunity to practice in a real world environment. This is what I did and got a morning with a trainer reversing on bays and a few shifts out with an experienced driver guiding me onto bays at shops, haven’t looked back… wouldn’t have got that treatment if I wasn’t already on the books.

watch top gear caravan challenge,and you may find out that your not so bad after all… :wink:

For those of you worried about making a fool of yourselves in a tight spot and screwing up a reverse: who cares, even those of us with 30 years behind the wheel dont get it perfect every time. And if you feel you are being laughed at say if you can do a better job you do it, or go forth, either they leave you alone or they help you out. Most ecperienjced drivers will give some assistance if they know you are new and struggling. ASK. DO NOT LET LACK OF PRACTICE PUT YOU OFF!!!

That is very sound advice…

Last week I was sent to a tight yard known to often be a nightmare. I arrived and was told to park up around the corner to avoid blocking the road, and they called me when there was room - so the yard was chock full then… :frowning:

When I drove in I spoke to one of the yard supervisors and warned him I was a rookie. I asked if he could get me on the end bay which had a bit more room, and he immediately radioed down the yard and told them to stop the driver who was just about to go on the end and send him to another bay instead. I was then sent down the yard, and when I arrived at the end they had already arranged for another driver to be on hand to help guide me in.

It was incredible. Everyone was really nice about it and several drivers were happy to share advice and tips with me. One told me I had overcooked the initial turn which is a common error, and that was why I struggled with a bit of shuffling around to straighten myself out. It wasn’t said in a judgmental or rude way, just an honest assessment and advice on how to do it better next time.

Seriously, most of the drivers I have encountered are civilised and willing to help out. Almost always their response is that they’ve been there and everyone has to start somewhere. I expect that, for many people, the knowledge that they are helping out a fellow driver actually makes them feel good.

Be polite, make sure you say thanks to everyone who helps you out, and become part of the driver community. There is a lot of camaraderie out there and it is great to be a little part of it. I take my rightful place at the bottom of the pile, and I’m okay if they want to rib me about how rubbish I am at reversing. I can laugh at myself too, just as long as they are willing to step in and help me out when I get in a tight spot.

Great post ORC - cheers :wink:

Watch as many as you can reversing in yards,on youtube and visualise in your minds eye how it’s done.
FWIW,I still c0ck it up every now and again,after years of driving. :wink: