Shunter Work

Hi all.

I am sorry to do this to you all, but I have some questions (hides to avoid rotten tomatoes).

As you all know I am going for my Cat C as soon as I can (well as soon as I pass the [zb] hazard perception test). But what I wanted to know is:

Can you do yard shunting (artics) on only a Cat C if you don’t go onto a public road?

What is the money like shunting?

I only ask, not because of a job, but I thought it might be a good idea to have a go at shunting and get some experience with artics before going for my C+E.

Cheers

New Blood

You do not need a driving licence to shunt trailers on private premises, but you do need training and the resulting certificate.

Chas Malthouse:
You do not need a driving licence to shunt trailers on private premises, but you do need training and the resulting certificate.

H&S considerations these days :frowning: :frowning:

Fair enough, but say I had that certificate, would you say it was a good idea before going for my C+E, and are the wages any good?

Cheers

New Blood

NewBlood:
Fair enough, but say I had that certificate, would you say it was a good idea before going for my C+E, and are the wages any good?

Cheers

New Blood

Yes it is a good idea and my mate Steve did yard shunting through an agency for a firm in Leicester and he was VERY happy with the money - I think he did the 2 to 10 shift mon to fri

Thanks ROG.

As long as I am earning around £15-20K a year (what I am on now) I am happy.

Cheers

New Blood

Caterpillar at Desford might be worth a phone call

good idea. Do you think they would take me on before I have taken my Cat C?

Cheers

New Blood

Good luck for the flippin HPT tomorrow NB

NewBlood:
good idea. Do you think they would take me on before I have taken my Cat C?

Cheers

New Blood

:bulb: RING, RING - RING, RING - RING, RING :bulb: :question: :question:

ROG:
:bulb: RING, RING - RING, RING - RING, RING :bulb: :question: :question:

One sec, the phone is ringing… be right back…

LOL…

I am going out on wed around all the local firms see if they want a shunter.

Cheers ROG

New Blood

give eddie stobart a try, i know they were after shunters at crick a couple of months back

Chas Malthouse:

Didnt know there was a certificate company I once worked for had a 11 year old lad shutning for them, bloody good he was as well!

By the way the company who shall be namelless werent big on H+S either!

i started as a shunter driver about a year ago now have my c+e licence if you see some of the states some of the drivers get into when reversing shunting is a good place to start spend most of the time going backwards lol, but watch you dont pick up bad habits like i did lol

Cheers guys,

I will be popping around a few depots on Wednesday to see whats on offer. I will add ES Crick to my list.

Thanks

New Blood