Shrinking Bridge!?

Does anyone know the reasaon for the railway bridge on the A37 between Shepton Mallet and the A303 loosing 6" and going from 14-9 to 14-3?Resurfacing?Strengthening RSJ ??Thing is I run this bridge twice daily into and out from Frome all hours and have seen no works going on :question:

where abouts and i find out m8

like i said mate on the A37 on way to a303 from Shepton,just after the signal controlled crossroads-pain in the ar$% as i willm have to go through maiden bradley now

There is a diary by Mr Fibble about this bridge and it was 14*9 then. Probably more likely a metric conversion cockup. Have you got a big stick?

It’s because they measured it in imperial and came up with the correct measurement, Then they measured it in metric and lost a bit during the conversion using EU legislative rules, Done in triplicate. :laughing:

But my usual trailer is 14-9 and used to fit under-just.Been driving a hired 18t since the shrinkage of said bridge.Getting me trailer back mon morn so will have to go and measure it up at.5mph-if it wont go under its not too far to reverse back to the crossroads :wink: Really would to like whats going on though if anyone knows :question: :question: :question:

limeyphil:
It’s because they measured it in imperial and came up with the correct measurement, Then they measured it in metric and lost a bit during the conversion using EU legislative rules, Done in triplicate. :laughing:

Dont understand-we all use the same big sticks or else we would be hitting loads of brdges!!!

Had a couple of bridges re-signed around rugby from 12-6 to 12-3 (one of them used to be 12-9) but nothings changed at either of them so I can only assume it’s to put off higher vehicles from trying them. Our tankers are marked at 12-6 but sail under them with plenty to spare.

Not sure on the legal standing but I assume that providing the signs are triangular warning ones and not round prohibition types you can go under without any issues if you’re higher than what the bridge signs say but know you fit■■?

map-man:
Had a couple of bridges re-signed around rugby from 12-6 to 12-3 (one of them used to be 12-9) but nothings changed at either of them so I can only assume it’s to put off higher vehicles from trying them. Our tankers are marked at 12-6 but sail under them with plenty to spare.

Not sure on the legal standing but I assume that providing the signs are triangular warning ones and not round prohibition types you can go under without any issues if you’re higher than what the bridge signs say but know you fit■■?

How tall is that bridge near dunchurch that is marked at 12’3. as it’s a handy short cut to the M1/tesco RDC’s but my truck is 12’4 and some are 12’6, some drivers say they fit under but i dare not take the chance and have to go all the way back through rugby to join m6 then go s/b on the m1 to tesco RDC’s area. :confused: :neutral_face: :cry:

Thats the one that was 12-9 years back and was recently 12-6, I think in fairness the local authority are trying to put drivers off because they are arch bridges which mean using the centre of the road on blind corners and there have been accidents and the bridge bears many scars from people catching it over the years.

Whether you would get a curtain sider under there I wouldn’t want to say - I probably wouldn’t risk it personally, a case of trying it I guess - but DON’T try it from the M1/crick side as there is nowhere safe to turn around and you’ll have a long reverse. from the rugby side there are a couple of spots to turn if it goes wrong with a short reverse but if you’ve got a few cars behind it will cause problems.

I only go that way if other routes are a problem or if I fancy some chips :laughing:

I had to re route once in heavy snow as I was told that lorries were getting stuck on a hill. Got to a bridge marked 11’9, but height indicator on windscreen says im 12’5. so anway after a bit of debating I pull up to it and jump out, have a look around see if it will fit. Got back in and stuck head out the window to see how close I was and I was amazed to see i had plenty of clearance. took it easy in case the bridge got lower the other side, but got through fine.

When I took my test the instructor told me that when the vehicle is measured up, they always add an extra 6 inches to the height. same with the bridge, they mark it down 6 inches, so that would give you a foot clearance if you were the same marked height as the bridge. Dont know if that is what they still do but thats what i was told. Also went under a fuel station canopy the other day at the same marked height as my vehicle, had at least a foot and a half clearance, maybe more.

I had to re route once in heavy snow as I was told that lorries were getting stuck on a hill. Got to a bridge marked 11’9, but height indicator on windscreen says im 12’5. so anway after a bit of debating I pull up to it and jump out, have a look around see if it will fit. Got back in and stuck head out the window to see how close I was and I was amazed to see i had plenty of clearance. took it easy in case the bridge got lower the other side, but got through fine.

When I took my test the instructor told me that when the vehicle is measured up, they always add an extra 6 inches to the height. same with the bridge, they mark it down 6 inches, so that would give you a foot clearance if you were the same marked height as the bridge. Dont know if that is what they still do but thats what i was told. Also went under a fuel station canopy the other day at the same marked height as my vehicle, had at least a foot and a half clearance, maybe more.