Fucking bridges

ok so i tipped my box in leicester after a couple of hrs i get told to reload in buxton at a firm called lehoist a limestone quarry place
anyhow as soon as i get the address i punch it in the my sat nav and the works one the check out the best route and with it being out in the sticks i get the map out and find a low bridge on the rd (14.3) im 14.6 so i double checked the route n worked out how to get around it after about 12 mile of very tight s bends single lanes and sliding between cars n pubs i finally arrive on the weigh bridge to be told id ■■■■ the bridge everything goes that way
sure enough he was right i slid right under without a problem so why state a bridge is lower than the proper height especially out on the country and the other was was clearly not suitible for trucks boils my ■■■■ it does

where is the low bridge, the quarry is only about 8 miles up the road from me!

The low bridge just outside Salisbury (14") tells me with a 13" 3 trailer I’m overheight and to turn around immediately and I got loads to spare why :confused:

It’s probably better to carry a tape measure and measure your height yourself, in my experience trailers are normally about six inches lower than the height marked on the headboard. In the last hour I went under a bridge marked at 14’ 3" with a trailer marked at 14’ 9".

was on buxton rd b5053 just of the a515
harry i was pulling a container so only have 2 hights to remember unless you have an opentop

Personally i’d have took the round trip over the risk of believing someone who operates a weigh bridge but that’s just me.

redbob:
Personally i’d have took the round trip over the risk of believing someone who operates a weigh bridge but that’s just me.

sorry should hav said i also made a few phone calls and askd a couple of drivers there too

cliffton 27:
harry i was pulling a container so only have 2 hights to remember unless you have an opentop

Them printed heights on a container, although you won’t go far wrong by taking notice of them, are for standard height rail carriage. There is no way every container is the same height on every unit,by that i mean the containers are the same height but every units fifth wheel height is different.

i once went under a 13.6 with a 13.6 trailer.
i got to the customer to be told the load aint ready so i pulled out back under the bridge to get some food from a nearby t-bar.
i then went back under said bridge got loaded then hit the bridge whilst leaving.
figure that 1 out if you can!

Arch span bridge?

if you noticed , the bridge at lhoist has been reinforced with thick steel plates welded to the girders as it has been walloped a few times in the past , most notably by a former employer going "under " it flat out with his tipper fully raised . it is actually well over the stated height

cliffton 27:
ok so i tipped my box in leicester after a couple of hrs i get told to reload in buxton at a firm called lehoist a limestone quarry place
anyhow as soon as i get the address i punch it in the my sat nav and the works one the check out the best route and with it being out in the sticks i get the map out and find a low bridge on the rd (14.3) im 14.6 so i double checked the route n worked out how to get around it after about 12 mile of very tight s bends single lanes and sliding between cars n pubs i finally arrive on the weigh bridge to be told id ■■■■ the bridge everything goes that way
sure enough he was right i slid right under without a problem so why state a bridge is lower than the proper height especially out on the country and the other was was clearly not suitible for trucks boils my ■■■■ it does

Everything DOES go under that bridge, but that’s because the things that normally go in there are tankers or standard containers, not high cubes.
You sure you had a high cube on? I’ve never known a high cube to be sent there.

But, I’ve done what you’ve done, 1st time I went, didn’t change my sat nav and went for the tourist route, didn’t find it bad though.

That job is the 1 that cost me my job at Turners … well, kinda. I was sent there for an 8am collection, back to freightliner in T. Park to swap box for a 10am delivery in halifax :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

cliffton 27:
was on buxton rd b5053 just of the a515

Oh, watch out for 10’3 boxes, they exist but are rare, usually refers I think. Took 1 to the old Fowler Welch place in Edgeley / Cheadle (Bird Hall Lane), didn’t even notice it was bigger until I was chattin’ to 1 of their workers. There’s a bridge on the way in too - luckily it’s a high bridge.

Years ago a mate used to take his 11ft 6 under a 11ft 3in every morning no problem. One Saturday he was asked to drop a few items as a second delivery and instead of taking van took the truck. Yup you guessed it, he went under same bridge and wrecked the body on the bridge.

bald bloke:
The low bridge just outside Salisbury (14") tells me with a 13" 3 trailer I’m overheight and to turn around immediately and I got loads to spare why :confused:

:laughing: No idea, used to do that to me when I was on the Milk tankers on the way to frome…As in most humans these days, it might be a tad sensitive :laughing:

Is this on a flat road or one that dips under the bridge ? Reason I ask is, that the limit on a bridge I go under regularly at Harrietsham on the A20 in Kent, was lowered from 15’6 to 15’3 some months ago, because of longer than the norm containers using the road getting stuck. Had it been a flat road there would’ve been no problems, but as the front rises exiting the bridge , the rear is still on the upper height before the bridge span, so the middle catches the under side of the bridge.
In the past a standard 15’6 trailer would go under without any problems and was the normal route to the M20, but it now triggers off the height warning since the limit has been lowered, so it’s a long detour south to the junction at Ashford.

GasGas:
Arch span bridge?

no it was a standard railway girder bridge.
it was a suprise when i heard the thud.
thankfully i was only doing about 10 mph in heavy traffic.

We had a driver fly under a 13.3" bridge with a 15’6" trailer :open_mouth:

OK so he didn’t actually manage to get all the way thru, about 2 foot at 50mph :unamused:

youtu.be/fgreeUKQOts

Check your height lol

:open_mouth: woah! That’s pretty sobering! I hope he was wearing a seat belt. :open_mouth: