Self fixing daf cf

i got a problem on my daf last week.out of the blue(or black as it was),i started to emit dense black smoke whenever i was under load,or pulling away.my tail pipe was full of heavy black soot,and my turbo boost gauge was erratic even at tick over,as well as intermittently losing power.i informed our garage who sent me into a backstreet place near doncaster,by the time i arrived my turbo was very reluctant to work at all.these guys spent all afternoon scratching their nether regions,swapping bits off another daf,changing the fuel filter and air filter,even dropping the exhaust off and telling me to give it a blast round the block to make sure the system wasnt blocked.they eventually borrowed a computer,which threw up a few faults,which still had the guys scratching down below.
as it was closing time they told me to park up in their yard and they would see me the next morning,however i opted to go to doncaster services so i could get food and a shower,and return the next morning.when i fired her up the next day,there was no smoke,the turbo was working properly and it drove like new.they couldnt believe their luck when i pulled into the garage and informed them of the mystery.it has since been spot on,i think they must have disturbed something,or the fairy mechanics have been at it through the night??.anyone had anything similiar?.

had a similar problem on my CF 75 a few weeks back loads of smoke and no power, ended up at the daf agent in bristol where they said the exhaust brake was coming on by itself for some odd reason

Andydisco:
had a similar problem on my CF 75 a few weeks back loads of smoke and no power, ended up at the daf agent in bristol where they said the exhaust brake was coming on by itself for some odd reason

i had that on a Volvo FL7, the exhaust brake kept coming on, it turned out that one of the wires for it had chaffed on the chassis rail and was shorting out, every time it touched the chassis, it applied the exhaust brake :cry:

buck rogers:
i got a problem on my daf last week .anyone had anything similiar?.

Give a DAF a dirty look and it will throw you a warning light :laughing:

B1 GGK:

buck rogers:
i got a problem on my daf last week .anyone had anything similiar?.

Give a DAF a dirty look and it will throw you a warning light :laughing:

I’ve got one, and Love it…

but can’t argue with that statement at all :smiley:

I’ve had two DAF CF recently lost power, and black smoke coming from the ehaust, where the exhaust brake stuck on. Mechanic said it was a common fault, just disconected the exhaust brake, and I drove back to base with no problem.

One of the guys at work was at j25 M1 in the week in a contraflow only hard shoulder open, and his cf went erratic on the revs and just cut out, he slowed to a stop thought what the [zb] am I going to do, fired it up again and off it went. He defected it when he got in next morning. That night I had the unit, and was doing some shunting it cut out on me twice while driving, luckily whilst in the trailer park, and kept switching itself between manual and auto without me knowing, was told I’d be fine to go on my run with it, but I had other ideas! VOR’d it then, next morning when dropping my trailer saw a fitter looking bemused at said unit, stupid [zb]ing things!!!

i daren’t take my motor out in the rain! it likes to take the accelerator off me and leave me on tickover! luckily it’s only happened when i’m empty so i can creep over to the side of the road. after about five minutes it seems to reset and i’m off again. the best way to fix a Daf is to go and have a cuppa :smiley:

timmo:
i daren’t take my motor out in the rain! it likes to take the accelerator off me and leave me on tickover! luckily it’s only happened when i’m empty so i can creep over to the side of the road. after about five minutes it seems to reset and i’m off again. the best way to fix a Daf is to go and have a cuppa :smiley:

Mine did that for years. Got gradually worse., strange thing is, once it was out of Maintenance contract, they suddenly discovered the fault. (It was the wiring between the throttle and the ECU) They also decided the head gasket was leaking, the 1st inspection after she became mine. Even though it had been leaking for about 6 months previously, and everytime it was defected, they gave some BS excuse. DAF’s name is brought down more my the quality, or lack of it, of their dealer network, than the quality of the vehicles themselves.