I have problems with my Daf cf auto!

Looking for a daf expert or someone who may have experienced this problem and know the cause of it. Background is it first occurred in late January, its been into the garage multiple times and various wire faults have been found in the loom and fixed but it still happened. So finally the company sent it to daf (last resort as they don’t like spending coin). Daf had it for 5 days :unamused: came back said it need a new ECU at £1200! So company coughed up and replaced it, guess what its still happening :unamused: It happens in both the wet and dry. Everyone has run out of ideas so am on here as a last resort! Im desperate.

About the fault. Daf CF Auto

Driving along your mileage disappears(in this video the mileage stays on) and your cruise drops out and goes into manual. It stays in manual and the cruise no longer works. You get engine,suspension,ebs etc amber warnings on the dash screen. You get a reduced engine warning (no adblu) on the rev counter. You also get internal fault 13,14 flashing on your tacho. Now all that is livable until it comes to the speedo and rev counter. The speedo bounces up and down and the rev counter sits at zero so you have no idea of what speed you’re doing and changing gears is all done by listening to the engine as you have no rev counter. Its happens constantly all day im not worried about vosa as it only happens whilst driving soon as you stop switch off the engine it all clears again making it hard to explain to dafaid guys when they don’t actually see it happening.

Ive took a video to show you what happens, it was on a quiet dual carriageway at 7am this morning doing roughly 50mph. I know its dangerous but it was pointed at the dash whilst i kept my eyes on the road so please no priests or nuns telling me how bad i am.

Utter desperation right here. Enjoy the video it will make you say ‘‘yip thats a daf’’

Well that’s a bit different I must say.

When the speedo jumps up, does it peak at what you would consider the correct speed? Does it happen with driving or just the engine turning on? Also does it suddenly all happen through some unknown trigger?

Did it all happen at the same time or slowly deteriorate?

It might help to track down the faulty part, but I know pretty much nothing about maintenance.

Ignition barrel or wires to it.

Wire to alternator.

Mainly looking at places where everything meets, and the most obvious is the ignition barrel - faults do occur in those and they can affect the things you said and also things like wipers etc.

I’m not a DAF expert or anything

I think theres a guy called ‘norb’ on here that seems to know his way around DAFs. PM him and see if he can help.

Have they changed the grey relays in fuse box these were a common fault . Could also be can bus wiring fault and I would take close look at loom near side were it runs from cab down to chassis . Does the taco give any fault codes. Do you have a copy of the log files from daf when plugged into Davie

Dafproblems:
it only happens whilst driving soon as you stop switch off the engine it all clears again making it hard to explain to dafaid guys when they don’t actually see it happening.

So it seems going for a test-ride round the block as a passenger is too much trouble for the daf aid guys then. :unamused:

Anyway , do you call your truck Christine?

sounds and looks like wiring problems too me, my cf (56 plate) was flashing up all sorts on the screen and it turned out too be the loom that crosses from the passenger side too the driver side was chaffing causing the fault messages.

It’s unlikely this is the same problem that I had, but I share it for sheer amusement value.

I had a very similar set or circumstances with a car, it would randomly lose speedo, loads of warning lights came on, wouldn’t lock, and then equally randomly fix itself. It went to dealer time and time again at high expense and was ‘fixed’ and yet the fault kept reappearing. All I could tell them was that a sharp left turn usually started the problem.
One day I noticed that when my wife switched from CD to radio things improved, and further trial and error showed a definite pattern. Got back home, took out radio/cd unit and it behaved perfectly. Then I picked up radio and heard a “clunk”, and it transpired that there was a penny inside causing the entire thing. Most expensive penny I have ever owned.

So my guess is that there is an intermittent short somewhere, and finding it is an absolute nightmare, but disconnecting some non-essential things first (like radio/CD) might be worth a go. Best of luck with it.

Obviously it will be difficult to give an exact diagnosis on here ,as more info would be required …From your description ,of all the faults that occur and the tacho codes.You have a CAN wiring issue …If you knew the fault codes of the other systems it would help ,but it looks like a V .CAN fault

will add most of your faults are related to speed signals ,so get the tacho checked…

Surely,when the Main Dealer plugs in,it’ll show those warnings?
I made a similar video,same sort of warnings - but not as random as yours! - and it was electric connector to trailer (w&d)

Dave55:
I made a similar video,same sort of warnings - but not as random as yours! - and it was electric connector to trailer (w&d)

The problem you get when you first plug in you get that many fault codes is working out what’s going on and if someone else as been play and disconnecting plug you can get false problems .so you delete codes then see what comes back up on road test but sods law it won’t do it for you so intermittent faults are a pain in the arse

norb:
will add most of your faults are related to speed signals ,so get the tacho checked…

Im pretty sure the tacho was checked as it hasn’t been put back in right its sitting out about 10mm.

Been looking at this thread sxoc.com/vbb/showthread.php? … lt-finding

And someone mentions the loom stretching, i thought i heard a rumour if you applied to daf with consistent evidence of wire faults they would as a good will gesture replace the loom to stop the stretching. I also see them talking about hard test drive but it needs around 20-30 miles from a cold start for it to happen and a dealer will never give it that much of a test drive.

dave55 the dealer told us it was a ecu problem from the diagnostics but obviously it isn’t as it is still on going.

Problem is i have no gaffer and it took me 3 months of nipping peoples heads over the phone for it to be sent to daf, do you think if i got the warnings on dash i could just call into the nearest daf without it being booked in?

To be honest i’ll pay 500 quid for someone to torch it whilst am on holiday. Serious offer.

Dave55:

e c
It will show the warnings ,but they will be in the stored section along with any other fault that that system may have had,Not all faults are time date and time coded …With intermittent faults I personally clear all faults ,which are not lost as they will be stored in the DAVIE go for a roadtest ( with the driver if he is present ) generally on the roughest road I can find ( not too difficult nowdays) hopefully the pot holes etc should throw up wiring issues and the appropriate fault code …If the fault won’t occur ,a…If the driver is waiting it is easier to explain the score ,and that all the error have been cleared and any future warnings are the ones to go for ,sometimes the driver can’t wait ,and sometimes if a fault doesn’t want to occur and everything is showing ok .There isn’t much else you can do ,unless the customer is happy to pay for the looms to be removed and checked with no guarantee of finding anything…Personally modern technology is a pain in the ■■■ ,but its here and itisnt going to get any better

Dafproblems:

norb:

Im pretty sure the tacho was checked as it hasn’t been put back in right its sitting out about 10mm.

Been looking at this thread sxoc.com/vbb/showthread.php? … lt-finding

And someone mentions the loom stretching, i thought i heard a rumour if you applied to daf with consistent evidence of wire faults they would as a good will gesture replace the loom to stop the stretching. I also see them talking about hard test drive but it needs around 20-30 miles from a cold start for it to happen and a dealer will never give it that much of a test drive.

dave55 the dealer told us it was a ecu problem from the diagnostics but obviously it isn’t as it is still on going.

Problem is i have no gaffer and it took me 3 months of nipping peoples heads over the phone for it to be sent to daf, do you think if i got the warnings on dash i could just call into the nearest daf without it being booked in?

To be honest i’ll pay 500 quid for someone to torch it whilst am on holiday. Serious offer.

Daf aren’t too bad with wiring loom issues ,obviously it will depend on age of vehicle and if joe blogs has attacked the loom with his Stanley knife …most dealers,obviously I can’t speak for them ,but most will look at a fault if you drive in with the warnings on …but don’t switch of the enigne as they will probably go to the stored …best leave it running if you can so they can see the active faults…

I know this may sound daft (scuse the pun) but it sounds like a fault on the link wires between the ECUs(blue and orange twisted wires) These carry the information between the seperate parts of the computer system that drives the truck.

Main ECU is the dash board (instruments).Dont want to get too technical (been slagged off on here for doing that already eh O.A.D) but if the communication ring gets disrupted it will put up all kinds of spurious faults.

They carry information between the different computers on board the truck eg engine,suspension,instruments,gearbox etc and if one of the nodes (thats what they are called dont blame me) goes off line the others keep trying to find its “signature”

If they cant it sends them into a constant search for their “mate” and they spend more time looking for the lost bit of the “ring” rather than monitor what they are meant too.

You need special digital gear to access this ring and most dealers dont have the equipment.
Merc build a truck called a “vaneo” and if you access its system and ask for info from its immobiliser system your goosed.The computer(s) will keep looking for the immobiliser (which it doesnt have) and go into a locked loop,and wont do anything else eg start the bloody thing till it finds something that isnt there.Stupid but as you know you cannot reason with a machine

Sounds very similar to problems my xf had get your mechanics to check insulation Ian all live feeds on wagon especially in back of fuse box mine was caused by a live feed earthing out and caused all sorts of weird dash and tacho messages especially when heater was on

With all that going on, have you looked at the tacho head to see whether it’s still recording properly. Just to keep yourself legal

Going by the tacho fault codes ,as I said earlier it will be a VCAN fault ,now that I have managed to watch your video, for some reason I couldn’t watch it before ,it may be your DIP at fault .Though without knowing the other fault codes it really is difficult to say Let us know what the outcome is