I have problems with my Daf cf auto!

norb:
will add most of your faults are related to speed signals ,so get the tacho checked…

had a similar problem on me low mega Volvo, where it’d been calibrated back of gearbox area it was corroded bad! :sunglasses: on my way back from Madrid and overtaking everyone at 70 mph plus on the dial, :laughing: but registering 90 clicks on the anologue! :grimacing: :grimacing: £1200 for an ecu? Seen your gaffer coming! :smiley:

Dafproblems:

norb:
will add most of your faults are related to speed signals ,so get the tacho checked…

Im pretty sure the tacho was checked as it hasn’t been put back in right its sitting out about 10mm.

Been looking at this thread sxoc.com/vbb/showthread.php? … lt-finding

And someone mentions the loom stretching, i thought i heard a rumour if you applied to daf with consistent evidence of wire faults they would as a good will gesture replace the loom to stop the stretching. I also see them talking about hard test drive but it needs around 20-30 miles from a cold start for it to happen and a dealer will never give it that much of a test drive.

dave55 the dealer told us it was a ecu problem from the diagnostics but obviously it isn’t as it is still on going.

Problem is i have no gaffer and it took me 3 months of nipping peoples heads over the phone for it to be sent to daf, do you think if i got the warnings on dash i could just call into the nearest daf without it being booked in?

To be honest i’ll pay 500 quid for someone to torch it whilst am on holiday. Serious offer.

has anybody sent a pm offering to do it ? :laughing:

Quick update. Its been in daf for a continuous 2 weeks which personally i think is ridiculous!

They requested another sister unit on friday (so 2 units out of commission :unamused: ) to rip out the dash and swap over. Should get it back tomorrow fingers crossed my misery is over and my work mates unit is now ■■■■■■ with me driving off into the sunset while he waits for a new dash :grimacing:

please let us know what the outcome is…i personally ,if the tacho is ok think it may be the dip at fault…but that is only an educated guess…will help me if I ever come across this issue

Problems like this used to drive me round the bend when I ran a handful of trucks, it’s the ones were they haven’t got a clue what’s wrong with it even though it’s been in the garage for days on end, you would have thought replacing the whole wiring loom would have sorted it though. Just chop it in for a different wagon from a DAF dealer, then they can sort it at their leisure. :wink:

Thought id give you an update, sort of cheer you up!

Thats 29 days its been in the daf dealership, bill is currently at 3k which excludes hire of another unit to replace it and the initial costs of our garage looking at it.

‘‘All avenues have been exhausted’’

Possible ‘‘driver error’’ whatever the ■■■■ that means.

So im getting a dafaid laptop fairy out with me tomorrow to see how i drive it as i may be the problem or the nightman or the countless agency thats had it. Don’t really know how a particular driving style could cause electrical faults but hey ho, clutching at straws comes to mind. But one thing is for sure im not just going round the estate, he is getting a right good daytrip weather he likes it or not :exclamation:

Word going around another one of our fleet at another depot has came down with a very similar problem. All i know is our fleet manager paid the dealership a visit as the 3k is obviously raising some eyebrows, what i hear he tore them apart. So maybe daf have upset him and he is the man with a very substantial amount of buying power.

Dafs never really bothered me before this, it was eh ok kinda of truck. Didn’t hate them, didn’t like them. But this has put me off for life. If this was a one man band operation this sort of thing could send a person out of business! 29 downtime days for an electrical fault, ffs :exclamation:

We had 57 plate 8 wheeler roll on off pulling a drag in Cornwall. 410 cf auto. Hatefull thing with a mind of its own as regards which gear to put you in :imp: It was using a gallon of engine oil a day and had numerous electrical problems. New engine loom, gearbox loom, part rewire of chassis loom to adblue tank and god knows what else. Gaffer had enough after 4 years and offloaded it to another depot minus the drag and got a new Volvo which has been very reliable. The poor Daf blew the engine just after, new one fitted, now cats gone and that will cost a bit i think. Put me off the cf for life, will stick with my 07 Globetrotter which i’ve driven from new and is still a cracking motor :wink: :wink:

We’ve had a lot of problems with water getting into the wiring loom. Also our DAF dealer is next to useless, I will not name them but we try to use other dealers out on the road if poss. Good luck

i would of said that it could be a wiring loom somewhere more than likely i would of said it would be where the speedo, rev counter & the ECU for the gearbox all send a signal too - im not 100% sure where that loom is but thats what i would say though

This sounds a lot like what happened to one of our 26t cf’s it turned out to be a faulty tacho head.

Sell it :smiley:

Dafproblems:
Thought id give you an update, sort of cheer you up!

Thats 29 days its been in the daf dealership, bill is currently at 3k which excludes hire of another unit to replace it and the initial costs of our garage looking at it.

‘‘All avenues have been exhausted’’

Possible ‘‘driver error’’ whatever the [zb] that means.

So im getting a dafaid laptop fairy out with me tomorrow to see how i drive it as i may be the problem or the nightman or the countless agency thats had it. Don’t really know how a particular driving style could cause electrical faults but hey ho, clutching at straws comes to mind. But one thing is for sure im not just going round the estate, he is getting a right good daytrip weather he likes it or not :exclamation:

Word going around another one of our fleet at another depot has came down with a very similar problem. All i know is our fleet manager paid the dealership a visit as the 3k is obviously raising some eyebrows, what i hear he tore them apart. So maybe daf have upset him and he is the man with a very substantial amount of buying power.

Dafs never really bothered me before this, it was eh ok kinda of truck. Didn’t hate them, didn’t like them. But this has put me off for life. If this was a one man band operation this sort of thing could send a person out of business! 29 downtime days for an electrical fault, ffs :exclamation:

so what was the outcome ■■? does the silence mean it was driver error ■■? would be nice if we knew the outcome as it may help others

i sorted mine with a gas axe 06 plate as well what a pile of ■■■ :imp:

bradfordlad9999:

Pile of ■■■ ? in what way , could you please explain ?.

shugg:

bradfordlad9999:

Pile of ■■■ ? in what way , could you please explain ?.

I agree with bradfordlad. CF is the worst truck I’ve ever had to drive. My reasons are, most uncomfortable seating position of any truck I’ve driven. For having a low cab, the visibility is the worst in any truck i know of. The quarter windows don’t help this either. Heavy steering and a poor lock. Electrics with a mind of their own. Slowest auto box I’ve used, even though its the same box thats in a Stralis which wasn’t anywhere near as poor as the DAF set up. Poor clutch control. You know you have done a shift in a DAF when you get out of the cab at night. The worst thing is, we have a 12plate on long term hire right now and all of the above complaints relate to this truck. No excuses for these kind of complaints in this day in age IMO. Every driver in our place hate the truck too for the same reasons as me!

Gday Mate, we had almost identical problems with a brand new CF 85 purchased April 2013. we had flashing beacons fitted to the roof , the people who fitted them did a less than satisfactory job (dealer sub contractor) :ie the roof leaked, water came in to the extent that my young son (the driver) had to hold a rag over the interior lights to stop being covered in water when he went around a corner, this water got into the electrics in the over head dash and put up identical warnings and tacho, speedo dramas as in your video. For us out here (South Australia) where it hardly ever rains we were glad to catch this problem and nip it in the bud before it became a major drama like yours. I think they just got brand new electrics from some where and replaced the whole lot, never had a recurrence of the problem. I think you said yours was in the dealership for 29 days, mate I’d be slashing my wrists with a delay like that. Phil Adelaide Sth Aust

norb:

Dafproblems:

so what was the outcome ■■? does the silence mean it was driver error ■■? would be nice if we knew the outcome as it may help others

He probably still has the DAF aid fairy with him :smiley:

Hi note sure if you are still on here regarding your instrument problem did you get to the bottom of it please ? if so what was it ?

Many thanks

Andrew Robbins:
Hi note sure if you are still on here regarding your instrument problem did you get to the bottom of it please ? if so what was it ?

Many thanks

Norb still puts very helpful posts up sometimes, but reviving a post this old might not be as good as starting a new one with your specific problem?
Mechanical queries get best responses from owners and operators in their thread.

We run DAF CF’s at work (royal mail) and they’re in the workshop every other week nearly for some spurious fault, flashing up ABS warning, exhaust malfunction etc
and yet we have hire vehicles from the likes of MAN/Mercedes and they don’t have half the issues.

The DAF truck is underneath like an 80’s truck that they’ve just revamped over the years to keep it current.