Self Employed Sickness Insurance

Is their any sort of insurance you can get to guard against being off work sick for a period of time - as I work for an agency as a spot hire driver if I don’t work I don’t get paid. I do get SSP I think, but I wouldn’t like to try living on that. I can cope with being off for about a week or so, but the I’ll start to worry about paying the bills. It might be a worthwhile investment. Spoken to URTU about it and they were very apologetic on the 'phone but, I’m sorry to say, about as much use as a goldfish on a bicycle. If anyone’s got one of these things or can point me in the right direction, then it’d be much appreciated.

Thanks

Ian.

I Have a policy through Lloyds TSB which costs around £8.50 per month if I think rightly, but it only pays £250 pw if I’m on the sick, the normal terms apply, I E must be off work 10 days etc etc before you can claim, they also do another one at £8 pm for hospital cover, again thats £50 per day but you need to have been admitted more than 24 hours.

Pop into any Llloyds TSB Bank and ask to speak to an insurance advisor, the policy I have was taken out 4 yrs ago so the prices may be just a little higher than quoted as all the Bank statements are at the accountants for the last Vat Quarter :frowning:

Thanks Davey, I’ll have a shuftie at it tomorrow. £250 is better than nowt :sunglasses: . URTU have just called me back without being asked and they’re putting something in the post so many apologies about the goldfish comment. Any more suggestions would be welcome :wink: .

Have a look at MoneySavingExpert.com on this link.

It may not be precisely what your after, but may give you some advice.

Most insurance companies do this kind of cover. I had it when I worked in the building trade.
Any good good financial adviser ( independent insurance broker,) should be able to give you advice. & as they are covered by not only a decent code of conduct but also over seen by a watchdog with teeth, this could be a good way of getting some decent advice.