Sick pay schemes

i went for an interview last week,but the company doesn’t provide any sick pay,just the statutory £80 or whatever a week.slightly worrying as i’m the only earner.is there any decent sick/illness pay schemes out there?

SSP works out at about £103 in your bank per week as its £88.■■ per week and the rest is to do with TAX (As your not earning enough) i think.

Im off work right now on SSP but luckly for me i have been saving money over the last year to do a supercharger conversion on one of my cars, which i will now do next year. So im chilling, even bought a new PS4 at the weekend as i have plenty of spare time for FIFA 16 sessions.

cheers mate…you still off work then :astonished: how long before you go back driving?

Very unusual nowadays to find such perks in low skilled jobs. Trick is never be ill even if your job sometimes causes it.

Business can’t survive these days if they have to treat staff properly and be responsible for their well being.

carryfast-yeti:
cheers mate…you still off work then :astonished: how long before you go back driving?

Well my current sick note keeps me home till something like the 20th of next month. Also got more surgery next year to make it look a little nicer as i still have a hole in my forearm.

Movement wise it get better every day and holding things with some weight to them. So im assuming i wont be given another sick note so can crack on driving the end of next month.

I have to go on a ‘Driver Alertness’ training day at a local fire station to keep the Police happy at the end of next month as well.

We use these for an income protection policy that covers Accident,sickness and unemployment.
helpucover.co.uk/product/in … ion-cover/
For me and the wife it’s cost £19 a month which pays out £750 a month if either of us have a accident,are off sick or get made redundant.
When my wife got made redundant 3 years ago they were great and paid out £750 per month for 10 months without any issues,finally after 10 months my wife got a job that could work around our son who attends primary school.
The service was great and as stated about they paid us out £7.5k which covered her not earning,not all of what she earned but enough.

Yes some good companies still offer full sick pay, unfortunately brain donors can’t help themselves taking the ■■■■ out of it, hence why such perks are vanishing.

Nothing more frustrating than seeing working class people shooting themselves in the foot but too stupid to realise what they are doing.

Juddian:
Yes some good companies still offer full sick pay, unfortunately brain donors can’t help themselves taking the ■■■■ out of it, hence why such perks are vanishing.

Nothing more frustrating than seeing working class people shooting themselves in the foot but too stupid to realise what they are doing.

Exactly that Juddian. Our place offers full sick pay for x amount of weeks depending on the illness. It’s at their discretion. The are really good with it, if your honest they will always honour it. But as you say, we have morons ruining it for everyone, they use 2 weeks every year, it’s gotten that bad that you can set your watch by it.

Our place pays a decent wedge with decent perks, they must be a sandwich short of a picnic to abuse it. There are rumblings of it changing for the worse, I wonder who will be the first to kick off that it’s changed…

fredthered:
Very unusual nowadays to find such perks in low skilled jobs. Trick is never be ill even if your job sometimes causes it.

Business can’t survive these days if they have to treat staff properly and be responsible for their well being.

Not unusual at all - certainly among the bigger employers.

thanks for the info lads…the company in question is Maritime.

Roymondo:

fredthered:

Not unusual at all - certainly among the bigger employers.

Not in my personal experience & including the bigger companies. SSP only and after the qualifying period in most cases.

Other comments above show that there is always some nuggets that abuse it hence most lose it.

Personally, I have had no need to use any so far in 40 years of employer abuse!

Juddian:

You mean like…“i’ve got 10 days sick left to take this year and i wanna try and get away for a week in December” ? :smiley: :smiley:

Mike-C:
[quote=“Juddian”.

You mean like…“i’ve got 10 days sick left to take this year and i wanna try and get away for a week in December” ? :smiley: :smiley:
[/quote]
I could write a book on it, makes me bloody sick, they’ll be crying like little girls when it’s taken away, sooner the better.

I’m currently off (2 months And counting) I was paid full pay from day one the only thing I loose is my shift pay about a tenner a day. This will continue for up to 6 months then half pay for six months. This is working for one of the big boys.

Is there anyone on here currently claiming on a “income guarnatee insurance” thingy?

I heard they are strongly encouraged (ie you pay your premiums) but when it’s time to claim it’s “you get paid from the 6th night in hospital” - which means never when you consider that you can have an organ removed - and be out of hospital in 4 days tops these days…

No money for “recuperating at home” then…? THAT would be the insurance I’d like to pay into - if only it existed!

I paid into one of these from 1991 when I first got my HGV licence right upto the time I made my first claim in 2003 (I paid the “family” premium, so my wife was covered too…)

The claim? - She lost her job after going into labour (in hospital, not the party. :unamused: )

That was when I found out that the thing is designed never to be paid out upon… She was out in 3 days, and I got my claim refused. “5 day excess” they said. I’d paid in a four-figure sum over the 12 years I had the policy. :angry:

Bloody fiddle! :imp:

mrginge:

carryfast-yeti:

Well my current sick note keeps me home till something like the 20th of next month. Also got more surgery next year to make it look a little nicer as i still have a hole in my forearm.

Movement wise it get better every day and holding things with some weight to them. So im assuming i wont be given another sick note so can crack on driving the end of next month.

I have to go on a ‘Driver Alertness’ training day at a local fire station to keep the Police happy at the end of next month as well.

Was wondering how you were think you had accident similar time to me hope next year goes well

ATM I am on SSP made calls to everyone explained situation dropped payments till I am back see surgeon 19th oct hope to know more then

Yeah I think we were injuring ourselves at the same time. Regarding what was mentioned above, I was in hospital for 12 days having my arms meat and skin re-attached. They have not got everything down to 3 days.

I was in 7 days had op on fracture ankle a chilies tendon & ligaments was in plaster for 3 weeks now in a non weight bering leg track which is build up on the inside have to take some out each week to bring foot back will have to have physio have ben out at times not easy with 2 crutches although have been able to get an led scooter at some shops so I can do some shopping so not all bad

Starting to get board now though

That sounds alot more inconvenient an injury then mine - As in for me i just couldn’t use my right arm for a while, but it gets better each day.

I have had to get myself a PS4 and Netflix to help me get through the boredom. My Paypal account has taken a battering as well with the amount of new stuff i have been buying for my cars but i can’t do most of the jobs right now so have left 2 of them at local garages for them to do the work. I don’t think i could even swap a wheel right now one handed :laughing:

I used to collect from the Manchester depot of a large London chemical company every day back in the 70s. The dispatch dept. had about 10 men, one of whom was the foreman and shop steward. I used to have my break with them most afternoons in their rest room ( shed ). One day, the foreman comes in and puts a piece of paper up on the wall and says to the rest of the men " put your names and preferred dates up on here by the end of the week so I can plan this years sick leave " It turned out they got up to 56 days paid sick leave every year and the foreman drew up a rota. He told me he made sure everyone took all their days and him doing the rota was helping the company, because he made sure there weren’t too many men off at any one time !! In other words the men " booked " their sick days off with the foreman/ shop steward, in just the same way they would book their holidays with their manager !! It had a sort of logic to it I suppose.
As has been said many times, the working man fights for a descent deal then some just abuse it and then quite often lose it.
Regards. John.