Seen a truck roll today

well i couldnt belive my eyes, an artic crossing the roundabout at bardon and all in slowmotion went over onto its side…couldnt say what caused it as the driver wasnt gunning it and he seemed unhurt when he climbed out the smashed screen…went back to the yard a couple of hours later and there wad a crane 3 fire engines and a chemical unit so i presumed he was carring chemicals

Ouch. I hope the driver was ok. Which roundabout was it, out of interest? I could possibly erm, shed some light on it :open_mouth: :blush: for you.

Shaun ,if it was a tanker ,and he was not fully loaded and had no baffles
in his tank or even if he did have baffels it is very easy to do a roll over
as most of our tanker drivers will tell you you have to be extra vigalent
when drivering liquid products, i used ti run into GB with liquid argon
and as the tank was never full you had to drive with care most big firms nowadays do take the time to teach the right way to drive a tank and these
firms have normally a very good safety record as they can not allow the
firms reputation to come in to question,this is why normally a ADR TANKER driver is worth his weight in gold as a good driver saves money
for his employer that is why he gets well paid,

Liberace:
Ouch. I hope the driver was ok. Which roundabout was it, out of interest? I could possibly erm, shed some light on it :open_mouth: :blush: for you.

first 1 after you come of the 50 at stardust nr to dhl/copper cable co

brit pete:
Shaun ,if it was a tanker ,and he was not fully loaded and had no baffles
in his tank or even if he did have baffels it is very easy to do a roll over
as most of our tanker drivers will tell you you have to be extra vigalent
when drivering liquid products, i used ti run into GB with liquid argon
and as the tank was never full you had to drive with care most big firms nowadays do take the time to teach the right way to drive a tank and these
firms have normally a very good safety record as they can not allow the
firms reputation to come in to question,this is why normally a ADR TANKER driver is worth his weight in gold as a good driver saves money
for his employer that is why he gets well paid,

wasnt a tanker but it had them big plastic tanks on inside the curtain i reckon it may have been top heavy■■?

Shaun, you said a curtain sider if these tanks are not full and also
securely loaded and with rachet straps held in place this factors are
possibley a contribution to the roll over if you take a look at the loadsecurity
sites on the useful links forum you will see on one of these site some very good pictures why one should do good load security.

Sounds like a classic case of “slow speed rollover” to me…excuse my laziness if I quote one of my own previous posts… :blush: :wink:

SLOW SPEED ROLLOVERS
I was taught about the dangers of slow-speed rollover when I first did tank work. Tankers, containers full of loose freight, and hanging meat wagons are, as ever, most susceptible… :unamused:

It’s difficult to explain but without using diagrams, but I’ll give it a shot… :open_mouth:

It’s most likely to happen on either roundabouts or a series of s-bends…I’ll take roundabouts for this example, and use a tanker as our hypothetical vehicle, for ease of explanation.

Think about where the liquid in a tanker goes as it takes a roundabout, a step at a time…

• Tank driving straight. Load is fairly stable, err-ing towards the back of the tank due to a combination of inertia (of the load) and forward movement (or the lorry).
  • Tank brakes as it approaches roundabout. Inertia means that the load continues to move forward, ending up at the front of the tank.
  • Tank accelerates onto the roundabout whilst steering left The load heads for the back of the tank again, this time into the right hand corner.
  • Tank steers right around roundabout Load stays at the back of the tank, but goes into the left-hand corner.
  • Tank steers left to exit roundabout The load goes back to the rear right-hand corner again.
  • Tank straightens out after leaving roundabout The load settles centrally at the back of the tank, and all is well.

That, of course, is the ideal. Notice that apart from when he first approached the roundabout, our driver didn’t brake. :wink:

If he had dabbed his brakes a tiny tad too hard…well, let’s take the point where he has finished steering left (onto the island) and has started to steer right again…

If he braked just at the wrong moment, instead of just going from one side to the other of the back of the tank, the load will go diagonally across the tank…so it goes right to left (because of the change of direction) and back to front (because of the braking)…finishing up in the front left hand corner of the tank…

It is this diagonal serge into the “shoulder” of the vehicle which can make it flop, even at very low speeds…I kid you not, a fitter from the firm I was on when this was explained to me took a loaded tank out of the yard and put it on it’s side at less than 20mph as a result of this one…no-one’s fault, just lack of knowledge on his part and unfortunate timing with the brakes! :open_mouth:

How to avoid it? Take all roundabouts slowly, and above all, smoothly if you are pulling a trailer which contains any type of “loose” freight - or a rigid of the same ilk, for that matter…and try and spot the cars cutting 'round which might make you brake early enough to do it gently. :grimacing:

Hope that makes some sort of sense… :question:

Good explanation Lucy.

A part loaded tank is far more susceptible to roll than a fully laden one for obvious reasons, the liquid has room to move and so set up its own momentum within the confines of the tank. You can always feel it on any turn or under braking and sometimes even on the level particularly on an undulating road surface. Tank with baffles are bad enough, tanks without, and there are some about, are lethal. It is even more important than ever to have good anticipation of hazards and brake long, gently and early especially for roundabouts and bends with adverse camber. If you’ve ever had to brake sharp with a part loaded tank and felt everything lurch forward and the truck kink or arch its back at the fifth wheel, that’s when you discover adrenalin is brown.

Do not want to apppear critical of any Driver as I was not there so do not know the circumstances of the incident, could be many factors contributig to the roll that we are not aware of, but any tanker rollover usually involves too much momentum, often induced by too much forward speed. It can very easily catch you out even when you know about it and prepare for it.

Tanks can also be susceptible to side winds, it may appear that all that space underneath would allow the wind to pass under but that is not necessarily the case, the lightweight aluminium tanks CSG used were particularly prone to this, on very windy days with a side wind you could feel the tank weight lift off the suspension as the wing gusted and eventually plonk back down again and when it did that could set up very peculiar undulations in the whole rig, you had to be particularly careful.

I was told many many moons ago by an old BRS driver about how to get through a roundabout safely,

If your going straigh through a roundabout , you are doing a left then a right then a left turn,
Its a bit difficult to explain, but you are setting up a rolling motion which you are accentuating by equal turns by the last turn you could be over,
Dont do smooth equal turns, this is what sets up the rolling motion.
If you have enough room short left in, long right and short left out this should counteract the rolling motion.

This is not with tanks which is a different kettle of fish as an earlier post explained very eloquently.

Hope that makes sense , could have put it better maybe, but just had to come home after dropping a super single on my foot so not thinking straight.

Going on holiday tomorrow, Isle of Skye, 1000ml round trip, just what I need with my foot strapped up.

shame at least the driver was ok if not a bit shamefaced :blush: :blush: :blush: :blush: :blush: :blush: :blush: :blush: :blush:

It was concentrated apple juice being carried - strong stuff indeed! :smiley:

11:16 - 07 April 2005
A road was left covered in a slick of concentrated apple juice after a lorry overturned and shed its load.

Police closed the road at Bardon Hill for most of yesterday afternoon and evening as firefighters and Environment Agency officers tackled the spill.

More than 100 litres of the juice spilled on to the road after the lorry overturned at a roundabout by an industrial estate in Beveridge Lane.

The lorry had been carrying several large drinks containers, each one holding 1,000 litres of juice.

At least two containers began to leak and fire crews had to pump juice into barrels. A heavy crane was called in to pick up the drinks containers still on the lorry.

A Leicestershire Fire and Rescue spokeswoman said: “We washed away the contaminant from the road side with a hose reel.”

Two crews from Coalville fire station were called to the scene shortly after 2.45pm.

The accident prompted police to immediately shut the road at the Stardust nightclub roundabout junction with the A511.

A Leicestershire police spokeswoman said: “We closed the road and contacted the local authorities.”

Source here

shaun:

Liberace:

first 1 after you come of the 50 at stardust nr to dhl/copper cable co

Liquid rolls, and the higer it’s stacked, the more it rolls, if you’ll pardon the expression. One of my transport managers once spouted about the fact he’d had no accidents for ■■■ and asked everyone to do the same. Following day, he hit the kerb at Copper Cable. Step trailer popped the pin and they put it back in with forklifts :laughing:. No one gloated either :grimacing:.

I know this was a curtainsider with IBC’s but anyone driving a tanker has to be aware of the slow rollover which lucy so eloquently copied :stuck_out_tongue:

You also have to be aware when braking and accelerating, the load will move to the back when setting off, then move forward when you brake, you just have to give yourself lots more room and drive with the moving load in mind.

When you are going up the gearbox you can use the momentum of the load to gain speed.

It’s quite good fun driving a tank through town centres in the ice, when you stop at traffic lights with the handbrake on, the truck can still move forward.

Another point which will have all you new drivers screaming Health and Safety is when you pull onto a weighbridge, you leave the brakes off and get out of the cab. otherwise you will be sat 20 minutes till the load stops sloshing around