Rollovers.

Two trucks rolled over today in more or less a straight line of each other - allbeit about 50 miles apart. Have i Missed something, or the two roads concerned - the A49 at shrewsbury, and the A449 at Whitchurch/monmouth just unfortunate or were there adverse conditions out there today? I dont know what happened in either case, but neither roads are that bad on cambers and crosswinds.

Sally Traffic reports quite an incredible number of rollovers each day enough to make an investigation long overdue.Driver incompetence can be responsible for some but not all.Today’s modern braking systems are maybe not all they are cracked up to be,perhaps if the annual brake test was based on ‘when’ the brakes came on as opposed to ‘if’ maybe the setting up of the braking system could be greatly improved.I am reminded of a snippet produced by myself featured in Truck years ago revealing a Hoyer Tanker working for Esso pulling into Lymm truckstop with the unit brakes[discs]red hot while the trailer brakes [drums]were cold,don’t think Hoyer were overly pleased but they did I believe sort it.But I do continue to feel wheels and a great many of todays rigs are running in a similar condition ie. the unit doing all the braking,while it takes about a minute to adjust the brake setup with modern electrics.Tomorrow Sally will report even more rollovers…careful or you might be one of them.

Could the AUTO box be partly responsible, lots or rollovers also lots more auto trucks in recent years ?
I personally don’t like auto boxes in a car or truck, If i was to buy my own truck it wouldn’t be an auto,

I suppose many factors come into play when these situations occur and I’m pretty sure that one of those factors is vehicle loading. There are many companies that load overnight or in the absence of the driver and the people doing it have no idea about the distribution of the weight of the load or indeed the security of it. The trailer is then sealed and it could be an accident waiting to happen. Too many amateurs and corner cutters in this game now IMO or is it that drivers are not as well trained as they should or used to be?

Sent from my iPhone using my right index finger!

Well 0955 Sally reports a rollover first I have heard today,Boss head in hands in office no doubt,driver maybe about to start looking for a new job,if no one is injured no one will investigate,I would like every rollover investigated.Perhaps one of our investigatve journalists would like to take on the task.

3 July 2012 Last updated at 08:40

BBC News

Overturned lorry closes two lanes of M5 northboundTwo lanes of the M5 northbound in Worcestershire have been closed after a lorry with a trailer overturned.

A spokesman for the Highways Agency said the accident happened at 07:20 BST just before Strensham services.

He said two lanes were closed between junctions seven and eight and vehicle recovery work was under way.

Speaking on BBC Hereford and Worcester, he added that at 08:20 there were four miles of tailbacks but he hoped the situation would improve after 09:00.

This is fairly staright isn’t it?

That.s two,no she has just reported another on the M18 that’s three.

tommy t:
Could the AUTO box be partly responsible, lots or rollovers also lots more auto trucks in recent years ?
I personally don’t like auto boxes in a car or truck, If i was to buy my own truck it wouldn’t be an auto,

Auto box responsible WTF :unamused: , I would point the finger more at steering wheel nobs losing concentration and ABS/EBS giving a sense of over confidence.
The best way to tip a truck is to make a sudden severe steering manouvre and over it goes, how may times have I seen a truck on a straight stretch of road gradualy drift then suddenly get corrected with the result that the trailer is nearly on its side :open_mouth: And on ye olde worlde no abs trucks it was in a drivers best interests to arrived at a bend at the correct speed, not driving well into the corner still applying the brakes and throwing the center of gravity way over kilter.

Perhaps its time for the industry as a whole to instigate an investigation rather than waiting for a government knee-jerk reaction that may not be appropriate.
Surely a colaboration between hauliers, manufacturers , police, Vosa and the like would come up with a better solution than leaving it to some Quango whos only experience of road transport is being overtaken by a 7.5tonner whilst sitting in the back of a black cab on the way to Westminster.

Big Joe:

tommy t:

Auto box responsible WTF :unamused: , I would point the finger more at steering wheel nobs losing concentration and ABS/EBS giving a sense of over confidence.
The best way to tip a truck is to make a sudden severe steering manouvre and over it goes, how may times have I seen a truck on a straight stretch of road gradualy drift then suddenly get corrected with the result that the trailer is nearly on its side :open_mouth: And on ye olde worlde no abs trucks it was in a drivers best interests to arrived at a bend at the correct speed, not driving well into the corner still applying the brakes and throwing the center of gravity way over kilter.

^ This and not always a sudden correction but changing lock from one side to the other such as at roundabouts without pausing in the straight ahead to let it settle before applying the opposite direction.Although there are always going to be many types of different factors in every different case.In which case it’s possible that some drivers could be involved in a situation for which they aren’t to blame but get blamed anyway because of the mistakes of the licence holders.

• 1 more

Good lord I agree with Carryfast :open_mouth:

Nurse… :laughing: :laughing:

A couple of videos that show how easy a laden truck goes over when it is asked to change direction suddenly

Inertia is king, its why the world is still spinning several million years after the big bang :neutral_face:

Whenever a lorry is found on its side on a motorway embankment it’s always assumed the driver fell asleep but I often wonder how often they were taking evasive action when a car cuts them up only for the car to carry on oblivious.

Quite a few will be evasive but I still reckon most on roundabouts are probably too fast and/or poorly distributed or secured load and probably straightlining/clipping kerb as well.

Could it have been Asbestosis of the clutch? :unamused:

the one on m5 was a dhl 12 plate volvo only second day on the road agency driver fell asleep truck didnt roll aparently but a people carrier following hit the debris and rolled with 4 people in. agency driver was 77 all people involved were ok lucky boy but the crash barrier has killed the volvo ooopppps :slight_smile:

Speedy Duck:
3 July 2012 Last updated at 08:40

BBC News

Overturned lorry closes two lanes of M5 northboundTwo lanes of the M5 northbound in Worcestershire have been closed after a lorry with a trailer overturned.

A spokesman for the Highways Agency said the accident happened at 07:20 BST just before Strensham services.

He said two lanes were closed between junctions seven and eight and vehicle recovery work was under way.

Speaking on BBC Hereford and Worcester, he added that at 08:20 there were four miles of tailbacks but he hoped the situation would improve after 09:00.

This is fairly staright isn’t it?

Yeah it is, was a wagon & drag as well.

After a chat with TonyCBR (who drives a auto Volvo) i decided to conduct a quick test in my Daf auto and i can say with out a shadow of dout that my lorry has not fallen over in any way shape or form.But during said test the auto gearbox did change gear both up and down said gearbox now im worried if this is good or bad or is there a button i have yet to discover.Hope this helps
Yours The Big Un ( with all michelins on terra firma) :smiley:

What happened to driving by the seat of yer pants and using a bit of common bloody sense, AND looking at the road layout and surface you are about to encounter.

Juddian:
What happened to driving by the seat of yer pants and using a bit of common bloody sense, AND looking at the road layout and surface you are about to encounter.

+1

What happened to the presumption of innocence? I know the driver that went over near Monmouth, it wasn’t his load, he was empty, he is a very experienced driver, his truck is the sister one to mine, it wasn’t his speed either, we both know what happened, obviousley it’s not something i’m going to announce on here when investigations are still in progress, please don’t judge fellow drivers when you don’t know what actually happened!