Seat belts

Do all trucks have to be fitted with seat belts now or is it only a legal requirement to wear them if fitted? I ask because I drove a V reg Daf 7.5 tonner on Friday that wasn’t fitted with any seat belts which I was quite surprised about, given that a V reg isn’t exactly ancient.

THey were only made compulsory on vehicles manufactured in the last few years. I forget the year but 2002/3 rings a bell.

As the law stands, if they’re fitted they must be worn regardless of the vehicle being registered prior to the mandatory fitment date.

They became compulsory in goods vehicles over 3500kgs on 1/10/2001.

V reg is pretty ancient for a 7.5 Tonner (big van)
V reg would be considered ‘old’ for a larger truck

Most fleets i’ve seen seem to dump vehicles after about 5 years at most.

robinhood_1984:
Do all trucks have to be fitted with seat belts now or is it only a legal requirement to wear them if fitted? I ask because I drove a V reg Daf 7.5 tonner on Friday that wasn’t fitted with any seat belts which I was quite surprised about, given that a V reg isn’t exactly ancient.

I once remember someone on here stating if your vehicle ain’t got any then you can’t wear one.Now who was that again :question:

dennisw1:
V reg is pretty ancient for a 7.5 Tonner (big van)
V reg would be considered ‘old’ for a larger truck

Most fleets i’ve seen seem to dump vehicles after about 5 years at most.

It might be old but it pulled a ■■■■ sight better than the 52 reg 7.5 tonner I had today.

Our X Reg, 18t, Daf 55 doesn’t have seatbelts.

Thankfully I don’t have to drive it too often.