Seatbelts

Can one of the “trucking lawyers” :laughing: on here tell me the law on fitted belts in trucks, I know its compulsory to wear them, but what is the year of manufacture where belts have to be fitted. Reason is I just started using them when I changed jobs from left hookers back to rhd it felt strange ( :unamused: yeh I know don,t take the ■■■■ :laughing: ) anyway I have been put on a 52reg motor with a non standard fitted seat with no belt, but belts on passenger side,( tried sitting there but difficult to reach pedals :laughing: :laughing: ) anyway, with me now getting used to them feel a bit vulnerable not wearing one, TM reckons the age of motor means it,s legal, but I aint convinced, anybody clarify??

Seat belts must be fitted to goods vehicles with a gross weight exceeding 3500kg which are first used on or after 1 October 2001 (except those manufactured 6 months before that date). The compulsory wearing thing came in during 2006 I think. 52 plates makes it a 2002/03 motor so they should be fitted.

It may be helpful if I begin by summarising the current requirements for the fitting of seat belts in heavy goods vehicles on the road. They are set out in full in the Road Vehicles (Construction and Use) Regulations 1986, as amended. Regulation 47 is key to the context of today’s debate. It states that every heavy goods vehicle first used on or after 1 October 2001, and having a maximum gross weight exceeding 3.5 tonnes, shall be fitted as respects the driver’s seat belt with a three-point “lap and diagonal” belt or two-point lap belt, and as respects every other forward-facing front seat with a three-point “lap and diagonal” belt or two-point lap belt. Vehicles first registered between 1 October 1988 and October 2001 were required to be equipped with the mounting points for two-point lap belts only. This may help found it by searching google

That seems to answer my question, Thanks a lot.