no seatbelts

just started my first truck driving job and im in a 7.5t daf that’s 14 years old and has no seatbelts built in, just wondering what would be the story if I was stopped as I has a clean licence and id like to keep it that way.

Not a problem , they didn’t need to be fitted if the truck was manufactured before a certain date … We have a couple of old daf tippers with no belts a ,similar aged Volvo has them fitted . Just depended on the truck spec I guess .
I think driving a truck with no seat belts fitted focuses the mind :wink: :sunglasses:
Cheers mike

jay0:
just started my first truck driving job and im in a 7.5t daf that’s 14 years old and has no seatbelts built in, just wondering what would be the story if I was stopped as I has a clean licence and id like to keep it that way.

if there not fitted, you dont have to wear them! (how can you??) and if the truck was registered before a a certain date, they dont have to have them either!

I spent the last 11 years driving busses, and they don’t have them either!

B…

Anything before 2002 doesn’t require seatbelts. If one is fitted though you have to wear it whatever the age.
I quite like driving without one I find it more comfortable.

If an older motor has seatbelts, would it be ok to unfit them then :question:
Just asking. :confused:

Pretty sure the answer is no, but you’d have to check the construction and use regulations.

axletramp:
If an older motor has seatbelts, would it be ok to unfit them then :question:
Just asking. :confused:

No. The fact that they’d been fitted wouild be traceable to the last MOT certificate, where they would have been tested.

Why, in any case, would you want to remove something that would stop you being thrown through the screen in the event of an accident? For the record, I didn’t much care for them either when they first came about in HGV’s, though I wear one in a car without thinking; however, both the law of the land and my employer insist on them being worn, so I’ve found that I am now so used to wearing one that it’s second nature, and I actually feel less safe without it.

As posted above,many public service buses aren’t fitted with seat belts, even new ones; something that my wife is less than happy about as she drives them for a living but prefers to wear a belt.

Bungle666:
if there not fitted, you dont have to wear them!

:smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

cheers for the replies, that’s one less thing to worry about but id rather have some sort of a belt in it because ive found that a lot of car drivers pull out straight in front of me just so they wont get stuck behind me and id usually have a lot of weight on so it can be tough to get slowed down sometimes.

jay0:
cheers for the replies, that’s one less thing to worry about but id rather have some sort of a belt in it because ive found that a lot of car drivers pull out straight in front of me just so they wont get stuck behind me and id usually have a lot of weight on so it can be tough to get slowed down sometimes.

Don’t worry ,if you do go through the windscreen you are high enough to go over the top and if you remember to tuck and roll on way you will be fine …and look quite cool as well :grimacing:

martyh:

jay0:

Don’t worry ,if you do go through the windscreen you are high enough to go over the top and if you remember to tuck and roll on way you will be fine …and look quite cool as well :grimacing:

Really you’ve got a choice. Do you want to be killed by hitting the steering column or do you want to be killed by it hitting you?
I remember watching one of those police shows and they were saying about and ‘unrestrained male’ in a lorry that had been in a crash. Turned out he skidded of the road (snowy) and hit a tree. If he hadn’t have got out of the drivers seat he’d have been dead.

have a look to see if there are any mounting points, and if so , get your employer to get belts fitted for your own safety.