Scammel couplings

as i mentioned somewhere on the old forum i passed my test in an artic with a scammel coupling. now this wasnt forty years ago but this was in 1989. i took this test with the army at leconfield but shortly afterwards i am led to beleive they scrapped them, but im not completely sure when.

now did anyone else take there test on a truck with this type of coupling :question: and when :question:

maybe i could have been one of the very last to this.

has anyone seen these ex army trucks about anywhere. they where bedfords(of course), small trailers of around 22ft, with concrete blocks permenantly bolted to the bed ( i think this was done to bring the truck upto test weight). i also beleive that these trucks originally belonged to the post office.

Scamells are still in use at the army supply depot at Bicester. I dont know if they are used outside the depot but the last time i delivered there they were still in use internally.

wideload:
Scamells are still in use at the army supply depot at Bicester. I dont know if they are used outside the depot but the last time i delivered there they were still in use internally.

wideload do you mean scammel couplings or scammel trucks.
if couplings are they bedfords??.

These are the Scammels I remember.

I NEVER TOOK MY TEST IN THAT. OHHH THE SHAME.
SAME COUPLING THOUGH.

ah, was’nt the scarab a beautiful creature

biggusdickusgb:
ah, was’nt the scarab a beautiful creature

I’m not sure beatiful is the word I would use, but you could drive those things on a motorbike licence, even with a trailer!!