Sat navs -oh dear

tipping my load tonight and truck pulls up and driver jumps out and runs over,
says in broken english would you know where this is showing me a bit of paper, i made out bit about spar so says i think its straight down there mate as you can see the trailers from here and whenever im down here there motors are always comming up from down there. he says can you explain as im polish , so i point straight down road and say go straight down there
he then says but my sat nav says turn right here.
me says i havent got a clue why your sat navs telling you that but all them trailers down there and look this motor comming up nows got spar on the side and also your sat navs telling you to go down a road thats blocked by a jacknifed motor so its no good to you at the moment as its telling you to go down a road thats completely blocked which is why im having to tip mine here.
he then says i show you.
i then lost my rag told him to zb bin it and drive straight down there , he seemed to take the advice and off he went.
if i wasnt there im sure hed have followed the sat nav down there even though it was blocked and from what i saw for a long time.
my 1st real experiance of sat navs and im not too impressed

i have a sat nav u dont always listen to it ady it,sal down to common sense there has been many time,s when i have dinnned it and got me map,s out :wink:

ady1:

That wasn’t a SatNav experience, that was a numpty experience. Just as you wouldn’t take a road that you had planned to take using a map if it turns out to be unsuitable, you do the same with a route you have planned on an electronic map. A SatNav is just a map not some magic box that cures all geographical numptiness, use it in exactly the same way you would use a map and you won’t go wrong. Well no more wrong than it is possible to go with a paper map.

Coffeeholic:

ady1:

A SatNav is just a map not some magic box that cures all geographical numptiness, use it in exactly the same way you would use a map and you won’t go wrong.

Would you describe yourself as a patient man, Neil?? :wink: :wink:

You must be, the number of times i’ve seen you explain this!! :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

This has got to be one of those situations where "If I had a quid for everytime I’ve explained that, i’d . . . . . . . . . . . " :sunglasses: :sunglasses: :sunglasses:

The problem with Sat Navs and many other technological gadgets is that they induce a technological blindness.
Seeing how willing people to let their brain go into neutral and be led by the technology, it’s a bit worring how easy it might be for the Human race to slip into some machine led Sci Fi nightmare. :open_mouth: Not sure if that last bit is a serious point. Must get out more. :laughing:

Muckles, you could always stay in and write a book about it. Didn’t do J K Rowling any harm. :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

knight:
Muckles, you could always stay in and write a book about it. Didn’t do J K Rowling any harm. :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

Great idea, wizard robots riding broom sticks and living in a old school and fighting evil.

Page 1

A long time ago in a galaxy far far away… :smiley:

Great idea, wizard robots riding broom sticks and living in a old school and fighting evil

isnt that the traffic comissioners muckles :laughing:

wirralpete:
Great idea, wizard robots riding broom sticks and living in a old school and fighting evil

isnt that the traffic comissioners muckles :laughing:

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

[quote="muckles.
it’s a bit worring how easy it might be for the Human race to slip into some machine led Sci Fi nightmare. :open_mouth: . ::[/quote]

Oh no, Terminator 3 may come true :open_mouth:

Charles

ady1:

i have and will continue to avoid that ‘first experience’ of them. admittedly i like a car with lots of buttons to play with but i wont have those buttons telling me which way to go. i have a box of maps for that

scanny77:

ady1:

i have and will continue to avoid that ‘first experience’ of them. admittedly i like a car with lots of buttons to play with but i wont have those buttons telling me which way to go. i have a box of maps for that

afraid of modern tech :wink:

more afraid of shelling out another few hundred quid after the 500 odd that i have spent on maps over the years :laughing:

It was the realisation of how out of date my £500 box of maps was that prompted me to get Satnav as it was cheaper than replacing them all.

For example, my Manchester map was so old that Sir Matt Busby Way didn’t exist and neither did much of the redone city centre. My Birmingham map had the dual carriageway under the elevated section of M6 listed as “Estimated date of completion 1995” and that was a relatively new one :open_mouth:

Conor:
It was the realisation of how out of date my £500 box of maps was that prompted me to get Satnav as it was cheaper than replacing them all.

Same here.

I tend to use it as a backup and def look before i turn down any road etc.if you follow it blind you will end up in sreious trouble one day.