Any advice on Truck Sat Nav?

Doe’s anybody out there have any advive or opinions on truck sat nav, whats out there and are they any good?

yes advice
No no good
Advice Get a MAP more reliable :grimacing: :grimacing: :grimacing: :grimacing: :grimacing:

I’ve got the VDO Dayton Truck One ( won it in a comp)

it’s gone back under warranty at the moment, touch screen died !!

On main roads it’s fine, some of the routing is a bit odd, lane guidance is good, speed cams are fairly accurate but not updatable, but once you get on small roads in devon/somerset it’s a total waste of time - I have heard there will be an update to the truck data this year!

You can’t add your own POIs

works ok as a DAB tv :wink:

dizzyfizzy:
Doe’s anybody out there have any advive or opinions on truck sat nav, whats out there and are they any good?

Use a car one, just pay extra attention to signs and you’ll be fine. :grimacing:

type in a search engine truckers sat nav. although ive never used one. ive got a garmin and its fine for main roads but causes lots of stress elsewhere :frowning:

Ive never used a truck one but will definately agree with above poster who said watch where you’re going! The amount of times we’ve gone so close to being stuck or hit a bridge because of relying on technology is too many to mention and caused some very very squeaky bum moments :smiley: I ignored the signs in Enfield north london once and drove through the town with about an inch each side of my trailer as I went through some lights that were not made for artics, then I managed to end up going over a rail crossing with about an inch either side and thought I was gonna ground the trailer cause the height of the bump was so great but I couldnt turn round so I just sweated through the whole 10 minute ordeal :laughing:
Best thing is a map but seeing as us modern folk are lazy just make sure you keep your eyes open or you may get stuck :stuck_out_tongue:

Hi all
I’m new to this site and this is my first post ever. I’m a Class 2 Agency driver in Brum since May 08.
Re Truck sat Navs, I’ve been thinking quite a bit about this myself, although it’s not quite so imperative for me as the lorries I drive are normally no more than 13’ 6’'. You class 1’s must have some fun from time to time though!
I’ve been using a Garmin 205w and I installed low bridges from HGV Solutions. I find they are quite accurate, but not 100%. You get a beep at a mile and another at say 40 feet or so (you set distance at install) and a message pops up with the bridge height (quite small print though). Then depending on the lorry you are driving means you can stop and have a closer look at your route or proceed carefully untill you have gone under the bridge. I’m glad I installed them!
I’m now thinking about the Procab+ that they do now, (but can’t find any feedback on the net, which puts me off spending the £50 as if it is that good surely there would be somebody saying something!

hgvsolutions.com/proCAB-landing.htm

Anybody know anything about this?

I have found a Snooper Proline S2000 TRUCKMATE on a Google search that sounds OK, has anybody used one of these or no anyone that uses one?

I use a TomTom Go520, an AA truckers Atlas, my eyes and common sense. Just use a car one, set it to fastest route and then before you set off, CHECK the route in your Atlas and make sure there are no low bridges.

i have used my tomtom 520 go for the last year or so got it set to 50mph loaded all the low bridges from low bridges .com also have downloaded loadx from the same site not to expensive but invaluable but as someone said earlier get yourself a good atlas to just to check

I’ve got the low bridges POI on there but it won’t warn when they are on the route or such, it just puts a low bridge icon on the map to show where they are. Then again I’m on urban distribution so I go the same places over and over again and I’m generally only in a 12ft 6in truck.

dizzyfizzy:
I have found a Snooper Proline S2000 TRUCKMATE on a Google search that sounds OK, has anybody used one of these or no anyone that uses one?

Hi dizzyfizzy.

Wife & kids chipped in to get me the Syrius Proline 2000 truckmate for birthday. Definetly recomend it. You put your vehicle lenght/width/height in and it calculates route accordingly.Also got camera alerts with free internet updates. But as with all SATNAVS keep your eyes open and brain engaged

Thanks for the info Jed, I will now be definately getting one, just needed to know if they are worth the £330 but you have just answered that for me, all the best. :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

Wife & kids chipped in to get me the Syrius Proline 2000 truckmate for birthday. Definetly recomend it. You put your vehicle lenght/width/height in and it calculates route accordingly.Also got camera alerts with free internet updates. But as with all SATNAVS keep your eyes open and brain engaged
[/quote]

If you have a tomtom click here http://www.trucknetuk.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=42502 If you find it complicated I can sort out a cd with it all ready to transfer onto your tomtom for a couple of quid.