Sat-Nav

Im looking to buy a sat-nav and want to know is there one sutiable for use in trucks ie not sending you through low bridges width barriers etc. But with a setting to not worry about these things so i can also use it in my car. Any help would be most welcome.

cgi.ebay.co.uk/SNOOPER-S2000-UK- … 7C294%3A50

Check that link, seemingly a good unit and Im sure you could just turn the setting off for height/width when in the car.

kr79:
Im looking to buy a sat-nav and want to know is there one sutiable for use in trucks ie not sending you through low bridges width barriers etc. But with a setting to not worry about these things so i can also use it in my car. Any help would be most welcome.

look into getting tomtom 530 and downloading the truck version, there’s plenty on here if you search tomtom truck

I’d also be interested to know if the “truck-Navs” with height & width settings actually recognise roads which are unsuitable for large vehicles but do not have actual width restriction barriers or low bridges. Like for example the road Mike C got stuck on in Kentmere.

If they don’t, then incidents like this will still occur despite the truck-setting on the device. :blush:

I’ve been using Tomtom truck for a couple of months and it does seem pretty good at avoiding unsuitable roads - it will always prefer motorways and large roads over narrow/residential ones.

A couple of times it has even said “no truck route available, do you want to use a car route instead?”. On one occasion it did that I had to go down a very very steep B road to get to a warehouse and it obviously thought it wasn’t truck friendly enough.

Like any satnav you can’t rely on it 100% but it’s a whole lot better at the job than a normal car system would be.

I use TomTom one and common sense. :sunglasses:

Checking alongside bridge atlas on occasions for unfamiliar routes. I find the quickest route setting keeps me to main roads as opposed to the shortest route. Had it about 2 years now and swear by it :smiley:

Dazza:
I’d also be interested to know if the “truck-Navs” with height & width settings actually recognise roads which are unsuitable for large vehicles but do not have actual width restriction barriers or low bridges. Like for example the road Mike C got stuck on in Kentmere.

If they don’t, then incidents like this will still occur despite the truck-setting on the device. :blush:

some incidents will always occur whether a sat nav is used or a paper map, what people have to realise is a sat nav is only an aid and it’s the numpty sat behind the wheel who makes the final dicision. no offense mike c :smiley:

the map has truck specific data in it and the routing engine will be optimzed to avoid unsuitable roads that is if the data is p[resent for that road

read here for more info

developer.navteq.com/site/global … nsport.jsp

Check out Capitaltrucking.co.uk 's Snooper Syrius truckmate apparantly it has all the answers and at only £344 for UK/Ireland and £378 euro it is a snip or so the would think I personally feel it MAY be cheaper on ebay but I MAY be wrong…It does do height width and unsuitable routes so give it a look contact them on 0800 622 6222 as seen on the rear inside cover of T&D 25th anniversary edition.

Happy dayz thanks to T&D :sunglasses:

scottishcruiser:
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/SNOOPER-S2000-UK-SYRIUS-TRUCKMATE-GPS-TRUCK-HGV-SAT-NAV_W0QQitemZ200342790792QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_AudioTVElectronics_GPSSystems_GPSSystems?hash=item200342790792&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1690|66%3A2|65%3A12|39%3A1|240%3A1318|301%3A1|293%3A1|294%3A50

Check that link, seemingly a good unit and Im sure you could just turn the setting off for height/width when in the car.

Last i heard they still had not fixed the bridge height problem on that one.

Maplin have got the ProNav on sale again.

Don’t know how good they are though.

maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?Mod … 4&source=1

i’ve had a tom tom for years
the thing i would like now is a bigger screen
so as to make browse map easier
so my advice get a wide screen of whatever you choose

If you just want a bigger screen I would get a Tomtom One XL that has an SD Card slot, then download and install the hacked truck maps to a card.

Thanks for all your help chaps.Still a good idea to carry the good old a-z and atlas as a back up though.