What sat-nav should I go for?

Evening all. I’ve plucked up the courage to venture in here fromy my usual haunt, the newbie truckers forum!

I could do with your experience and wisdom on this one. I tried to fix my ancient sat-nav today but ended up making it worse. It’s about time I got a new one.

I only use the thing once I’m in an urban area and I need to know specific addresses as more often than not I’m doing class 2 multidrop work (only 22 and that’s the only work people trust me with!). Once outside town I’m planning from an atlas with height/weight restrictions etc.

I was wondering if there are any sat-navs on the market which have restrictions for LGV’s programmed into them? Not because I’m too crap to avoid the hazards myself, but just so that it takes the most sensible route around them in the first place rather than having to turn around. If there aren’t, can anyone here recommend (or warn me against) their sat-nav model for urban use?

Cheers.

Depends how much cash you want to part with…

If your minted try one of these:-

nav-now.co.uk/index.php?search_terms=truck

If not, get a TomTom and download/Install the low bridge, width restriction etc etc data onto a memory card then load it onto your sat nav… Failing that buy a map with your required details (AA Truckers map - £20 from WHSmith)

there is the snooper truckmate but costs around £300. or get a tomtom and put the bridge heights etc on it. the truckmate automatically routes avoiding the bridges etc the tomtom does not it just shows where they are

Snooper i think, it’s for hgv drivers it take’s you the best route avoiding bridge’s that are lower than your gross height and bridges that cant take your gross weight.
Lot’s more features it was in T&D couple of months back the one with the black FH16 660 on the front

edit: nav-now.co.uk/product.php?fdProductId=283

i’d buy according to the price you can afford.
In my experience when people start to trust their sat-nav completely a major problem is around the next corner.
I use tomtom 520 with low bridge warnings if there’s a bridge on my route i get the map out.

Cheers guys, very much appreciated.

Mr B:
i’d buy according to the price you can afford.
In my experience when people start to trust their sat-nav completely a major problem is around the next corner.
I use tomtom 520 with low bridge warnings if there’s a bridge on my route i get the map out.

i agree but my garmin nuvi 250 bloody sent me through carlisle city centre yesterday of M6 j43 when the delivery i wanted was just of kingstown ind est j44. i was not at all impressed. :imp: it did the same in cardiff sent me all the way round cardiff city centre when really the steel works was 2 mins from the previous junction.

oh and yes the other day going to olympic containers in manchester it wanted me to go through manchester city centre when i was already on the m60. :imp: :imp: i wasnt falling for that trick again after i went manchester city centre with it last time.

jessicas dad:
i agree but my garmin nuvi 250 bloody sent me through carlisle city centre yesterday of M6 j43 when the delivery i wanted was just of kingstown ind est j44. i was not at all impressed. :imp: it did the same in cardiff sent me all the way round cardiff city centre when really the steel works was 2 mins from the previous junction.

oh and yes the other day going to olympic containers in manchester it wanted me to go through manchester city centre when i was already on the m60. :imp: :imp: i wasnt falling for that trick again after i went manchester city centre with it last time.

Yep they do that :slight_smile: I’ve found the best way of using them is to plan your route using a good paper map, or the internet, first then stick to it. Ignore the satnav if it tries to send you off your planned route.
You will find that they will re-route you very quickly when you miss a turn & will end up with the same route you have planned :wink:
Sometimes it’s a case of “you guiding it” instead of the other way round!

I tend to only use mine when I am pretty close to my drop… finding a road on an Ind estate etc