sat nav

I’ve still got one of the original tomtom’s (pre go,1 etc) It has been a very good tool both in the truck and the car if used with the mk1 eyeball. I still uses the truckers atlas as well.

The only thing with mine (because of its age) is that I cannot adjust the average speed for the truck.

hiya,
recently took the old caravan to peebles for a couple of weeks have a tom tom 1 europe bought as a present last christmas so used it to keep the wife happy, you know the score (i bought you that and you never use it blah blah) anyway i set it up on the home to postcode idea double checked all ok hadn’t been to this park before so let it do the work anyway just outside peebles on the galashiels road the voice piped up 300 yards turn right turns right voice again 400 yards you have reached your destination youv’e guessed it i was in a farmyard where a barn was being transformed scaffolding everywhere the old class 1 experience came into use i had to back a quarter of a mile back to the main rd it can stay in the drawer now and i’ll settle for can you tell where this is mate, thanks harry long retired .

Now then me old sludge pump …

Get yerself down to Halfords and pick up a Garmin nuvi 200 for about 80 quid its got UK maps sCAMERA database as well////////////// Unless your going to Euro land you don’t need the maps …

IGNORE any salesman telling you the latest one makes yer tea cleans yer teeth and wipes your ■■■■ cos YOU DO NOT need it and they will want another 150 Squids for it .

Get yourself a Truckers Atas and off yer go matey…and dont forget to ask yer mates on trucknet for advice when yer get stuck :wink: :wink:

harry_gill:
hiya,
recently took the old caravan to peebles for a couple of weeks have a tom tom 1 europe bought as a present last christmas so used it to keep the wife happy, you know the score (i bought you that and you never use it blah blah) anyway i set it up on the home to postcode idea double checked all ok hadn’t been to this park before so let it do the work anyway just outside peebles on the galashiels road the voice piped up 300 yards turn right turns right voice again 400 yards you have reached your destination youv’e guessed it i was in a farmyard where a barn was being transformed scaffolding everywhere the old class 1 experience came into use i had to back a quarter of a mile back to the main rd it can stay in the drawer now and i’ll settle for can you tell where this is mate, thanks harry long retired .

This is a perfect example of how not to use satnav. just because the voice tells you to turn this way or that its your choice whether to turn or not!
Satnavs are good.
stupid people are dangerous.

Mr B:

harry_gill:
hiya,

This is a perfect example of how not to use satnav. just because the voice tells you to turn this way or that its your choice whether to turn or not!
Satnavs are good.
stupid people are dangerous.

PMSL MR B

thecoder0:
Get yerself down to Halfords and pick up a Garmin nuvi 200 for about 80 quid its got UK maps sCAMERA database as well//////////////

I got one of these a couple of weeks ago. It’s very good and does a great job.

It doesn’t come with common sense software though so I had to update my own common sense and apply that. They’re just about compatible, I think. :wink: :grimacing:

hiya,
so mr b i place my trust in a piece of modern technology it ■■■■■ up and i’m an idiot i followed a system accepted by the manufacturers whats the point of not taking notice of what it tells you, a fool,i don’t think so thanks harry long retired.ps the turning i took was an obvious country lane lots of caravan sites are placed in similiar locations had i been driving big stuff i would have stopped and had a look see but just followed instructions like i think anyone would have done,thanks again.

harry_gill:
hiya,
so mr b i place my trust in a piece of modern technology it ■■■■■ up and i’m an idiot i followed a system accepted by the manufacturers whats the point of not taking notice of what it tells you, a fool,i don’t think so thanks harry long retired.ps the turning i took was an obvious country lane lots of caravan sites are placed in similiar locations had i been driving big stuff i would have stopped and had a look see but just followed instructions like i think anyone would have done,thanks again.[/quote

No serious offense intended. You made the classic mistake of leaving your common sense at home. Your machine didn’t cockup it directed you to where the post code is centered which in rural areas can be a distance from your intended destination.
Its the same mistake that gets people stuck in villages. drive straight ahead; off the docks or turn left onto railway tracks. In all these “the voice told me to do it” horror stories the blame is always with the driver.
The satnav is only an electronic map how you read it is your responsibility.

harry_gill:
hiya,

I,ll give you a crispy £20 for it :bulb:

hiya,
wouldn’t dare part with it sorry, macka packa the old lady would kill me i live in hope that the daughter might borrow it one day and that would guarantee being the last time i ever saw it and no recriminations thanks harry long retired

I use Garmin C310. Had it a couple years now and wouldn’t swap it for anything else, occasionally tries to send me down country lanes but re-routes a decent route eventually. Never totally rely on it though, example, was in Winton, Bournemouth, wanted to get to branksome, Poole, about two miles on map, sat nav routed me to A338 upto A31, then down A31 past Ferndown and Wimbourne into Poole via top end, total distance 13 miles and 40 minutes driving. The route I took did all of 3.5 miles and about 15 minutes driving. Whatever Satnav is decided upon, common sense is priceless.