which sat nav?

i’ve been considering buying a sat nav for a while but figured now i’ve passed my class 1 I should treat myself …

what do you use? can anyone recommend one, I do a lot of car travelling in the UK anyway but it might be a good idea to get the European mapping just in case the driving career heads that way in the future rather than just the holidays!!

the 3 i’ve been looking at are Garmin Streetpilot C340 - Garmin nuvi 350 and TomTom Go 700 …am i on the right tracks or barking up the wrong tree? any advice would be appreciated. :smiley:

Scott

I use the TT700 and its the mutts nutts, i also use it on my bike which is great cos it has seamless european maps.

you can get the tt700 now for just over 300 quid if you search around whereas i paid 550 but still worth every penny in my book. :wink:

sounds great, but do you mean £400, i can’t find them anywhere for less than £399…thanks for the reply :smiley:

No i meant 300, here is a site that searches for one of the lowest prices for tomtom satnavs

http://www.find-tomtom-deals.co.uk/?gclid=CNXHk5TjjoMCFSFQEgodlx12og

:wink:

I use the TomTom Navigator 5 which is the same software as TomTom 700 and would certainly recommend it…

I delivered 4 pallets of Garmin Nuvi 300 and 350’s today so Motorworld certainly have stock now! Been reading a review on the 300 which looks good. My TomTom does everything I require of it and is very quick at recalculating the route if you dont fancy the chosen road, or its now a one-way street :frowning: There are a few errors in the maps and new roads which aren’t known yet.

Good luck in your quest

Calv

Tomtom are now selling maps for all cities so you can upgrade, also there is a site to make your TT500 or 700 into an MP3 player also it has a altitude and Gforce meter on it to so you can see what G’s your pulling in your car an such… :smiley:

thanks for the info the 700 seems like an excellent unit for the price though i still cant find one under £399 ish…does it speak the road names or just announce “turn left” for example? :unamused:

Turn left and across the roundabout take the first exit (repeated)

and if you get the software disc in most celeb voices too.

ozzy osborne is funny. :laughing:

what you thinking of is text to speech I have used it ad I don’t rate it as the voice is very robotic and usually says the street name so fast you miss it if you tinking of goning for the 300 then personally I’d go for ther tomtom one the unit is better as it has a better gps receiver than the go 3 5 700 or you could hang on and get the latest go when there released I no info on them or the next version I’m afraid but totmotm usually in the past release update and new models round this time of year

I’m using the Acer N35 Pocket PC with the Destinator 3 software. Its easy to use and you can install Gatso and bridge height warnings on it in a few minutes.

With it being a PPC there’s a few more things you can use it for.
It has a couple of MS Office programs on it, Internet Explorer and Windows media player for my mp3s.
I’ve got a few games on it, Chess and Tetris are the ones I tend to play but you can download others.

Go here to see the specs for it
global.acer.com/products/pda/n35.htm

Comet have them for under £200

You have to bear in mind that you are following the destructions of a divvy cow who cant read a map :stuck_out_tongue:

Im a non believer :smiley:

thanks for all the advice everyone, the more i read about them the more difficult it is to decide. :confused: the go 700 still seems a good deal at £359 (the cheapest i can find) but i read that the maps can be as much as 3 years out of date and the units are prone to losing the signal…anyone else experience this? I’m still interested in the garmin nuvi 350 (apart from the price), but i’m told maps are more up to date, the unit is very small and portable…is the garmin worth the extra price tag :unamused: more confused than ever but really want a new gaget to play with!!! :smiley:

Have a look here tomtom Go for more info.

If you want something to play about with have another look at the N35 or similar
It seems a lot of beer tokens for something that will do the same job as something £150 quid cheaper.

Any of the Navmans are pretty good for the money.They start at around £160 for one with just the UK Map.

just remember if you go with a pna (personal navigation device) and dont like the system you stuck with it if you go for a pocket pc then you can change the software fairly cheeply

Ive been using a TT 700 for a while now (£324 currys online). It is the dogs.
Had some teething problems when I first started out, it sending me down backstreets in my artic, but now I have got the hang of the "Avoid part of route " feature and the “Itinery planning” it is fantasic. POIs (points of interest are freely available online , so you can easily add supermarkets, KFC, Mc Ds Key fuels locations easily and then search for the nearest - my missus loves the Tescos one, whenever we are out and about… I also enjoy Austin powers telling me “That was groovy driving baby, yeah” when I reach my destinaton.
Overall a neat and extreemly easy gadet to use.

Hi Mate,

I bought the NAVMAN 520 when I started tramping and believe me its worth its weight in gold…just dont get lulled in to a false sense of security every now and then a bit of info maybe dodgy…good luck