Sat Nav-The lost generation

dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/ … arrow.html

I listen to my sat nav like i listen to my wife…I sort of vaguley know where i am going as i keep a atlas and sat nav.sat nav is handy for town centres but the main roads its ok as a eta

I keep my sat nav on silent just a shame can’t do that with the missus :smiley: :smiley:

My other half passed her car test about a month ago and, despite my protests, has bought herself a satnav this morning - she didn’t seem to like my suggestion of buy a map book first and learn to use it (said I’d teach her) so when theres a problem with the satnav she won’t be buggered - too bloody lazy.

darkseeker:
My other half passed her car test about a month ago and, despite my protests, has bought herself a satnav this morning - she didn’t seem to like my suggestion of buy a map book first and learn to use it (said I’d teach her) so when theres a problem with the satnav she won’t be buggered - too bloody lazy.

take the fuse out the car charger and send her on a long trip on her own.

lol, would be pretty funny. Some people just dont want to learn though.

She makes some good points but in typical daily mail scare story style.
Like all labour saving tools satnavs are there to make life easier and so the user naturally become a little lazier or devotes the saved time to more important tasks.
What’s needed is education on how to use them properly and safely.

Soon as I saw the dailywail bit of the link I nearly exited the thread, but something made me read it to see what BS they were spouting this time. And it was a reasonable article for a change. :open_mouth: I think there’s a lot of truth in it - never mind the future, there are people that can’t even get around now without one. I think it’s quite sad tbh.

I have a very good photographic memory for places I’ve been before and put me on virtually any road in the UK and I’ll tell you if I’ve been there in the past. For the most part I don’t need a map to find my way about but if I’m going to somewhere new then I’ll print off the local area from google and just work from that when I go the outskirts. I still don’t possess a satnav and I can’t see that changing for the foreseeable future either.

I’ve got one but it’s done harm, I can read a map fine and had already travelled well before getting into driving for a living but took to using it a fair bit in my class 2 days because it saved time BUT that’s three years of valuable “orientation” that I’ve missed out on.

Saying that though, in the job I’m doing at the moment, I’ve yet to use my book of maps! let alone my satnav - that’s only in my bag for if something goes very wrong.