Safed training

Just completed a 1 day course on safe and fuel efficent driving with wincanton on somerfield contract , it was well worth doing ,ok i know its to benefit the company but it was enjoyable from my point of view .Fuel returns improved by 1-2 % and you are encouraged to use the engine brake more often to slow and look that little furfer ahead to judge traffic movement and changeing lights to keep the vehichle moving sounds a load of balls but didnt cost me anything and i lernt from it

Ah, yes! I happen to know of a training company that provides said SAFED training coughcough :wink:

lol It is a one day course - 2 drivers to one truck - and it is funded too! Woo! The amount of funding depend on the size of your company and whose truck you do it in. Its better to do it in the truck you normally drive as opposed to the training company’s truck. Makes sense to do it that way anyway!

I’m glad you thought it was worthwhile RS.

There’s an official SAFED website:

safed.org.uk/index.htm

TELL YOUR BOSS!

FUNDED TRAINING! OMG! :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth:

Will you get a pay rise now that you’re saving the company loads of money?

What do you think :frowning: :frowning: but i now have a certificate and if i apply for another job in the future and they know that am safed trained it should work in my favor thats how i look at it

If I was employing a driver and it was down to a choice between two, if one produced a certificate to say they had done the course that could well be the clincher in offering them the job. And before anyone says anything, yes I would have some kind of bonus scheme for good fuel figures so both myself and the guy driving would benefit.

The other way to look at it is that if the company fuel bill is reduced because of this kind of training, I am thinking of the large companies where the saving could be a considerable sum, it could well mean there is more money to play with come pay rise time. So although in some cases there may not be an immediate benefit, in the long term it could pay off.

I went out the following day and tried the methods that they had taught me and sure enough a good fuel return ,another thing was and i know this is contravercial but they hounded on about speed limits on single carrage way A roads stick to 40 set c/control if safe to do so same on motorways and duelcarrage ways set c/control a little under limit it works maybe ohers were aware of this but it taught me a thing or two :slight_smile:

dapper
does your lot do the nvq / svq for lorry driving…there was athing in T&D about it the new CPC nvq…but i cant find anything useful onm the web and the article though interesting didnt have any urls to go to

i have long advocated setting cruise below max but only so i have got something to overtake with

hitch:
dapper
does your lot do the nvq / svq for lorry driving…there was athing in T&D about it the new CPC nvq…but i cant find anything useful onm the web and the article though interesting didnt have any urls to go to

Yes, we do the VQ :slight_smile: I have it myself and I have to say t realy isn’t that difficult for an experienced driver to get. You just have to have a bit of common sense.

The reason noone knows anything about the new ‘drivers cpc’ is that the exact format hasn’t been decided on yet. Here is the latest on it so far:

dsa.gov.uk/Consultation.asp? … 73&cat=328

It is looking like people who already have their license will get a kind of ‘grandfather rights’ thing happening. We’ll not have to take the initial cpc training but we will have to do the refresher training.

There area couple of options as to how the traning should actually be carried out. Right now that document is in the hands of various official bodies, companies, training organisations, etc, who all get a chance to put their say in. Then we’ll see!

Dapper Scavenger:
Right now that document is in the hands of various official bodies, companies, training organisations, etc, who all get a chance to put their say in. Then we’ll see!

OH DEAR :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth:

RS005D1136:
I went out the following day and tried the methods that they had taught me and sure enough a good fuel return ,another thing was and i know this is contravercial but they hounded on about speed limits on single carrage way A roads stick to 40 set c/control if safe to do so same on motorways and duelcarrage ways set c/control a little under limit it works maybe ohers were aware of this but it taught me a thing or two :slight_smile:

The basic reason for this is most vehicles are geared to the speed limits.

For example if you do 60 on a motorway chances are you’ll find the rev needle sitting just on the top edge of green on most vehicles.

The Government funding for the SAFED Programme is no longer available

Quoted from the SAFED website

dennisw1:

Well it lies! lol

What it probably means is that there are a certain number of places which get distributed among training providers. All of the places have been distributed now, so if you are a traning provider then you can’t get any now.

However, that does not mean the providers have actually filled all the places yet :slight_smile:

I base this on the fact that I know companies that still have places available.

dennisw1:

Only says that if you click the SAFED For England link, the SAFED For Scotland link reports differently. :wink: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: