Advice on training

Hi guys,

Just got back from a training company so wanted to check what they were offering was a good deal. They seem a good professional setup, have had a guy here compliment them already. Won’t name them as it may be seen as an advert lol

What they have offered is:

Medical
Hazard perception training and test
Theory training and test
Cat C course with test fee
C+E course + test fee
40 hours in vehicle training
ADR course
FLT course
HIAB course
Tachograph course
Dcpc

Total cost £2650

That sounds good to me from what I have seen, looking for comments though.

Also got a nice lecture from the lady there to go and look at competitors prices but under no circumstances go with brokers, she even reeled off a few names of them.

Raz38:
Won’t name them as it may be seen as an advert lol

Hi Raz38,
From the info you’ve given, it wouldn’t be seen as an advert provided that you don’t work for them.

It’s the same as the recommended training schools listed :arrow_right: HERE

Raz38:
Also got a nice lecture from the lady there to go and look at competitors prices but under no circumstances go with brokers, she even reeled off a few names of them.

That’s very good advice indeed. ^^
You can check out some of the competition in your area for free by clicking the link I gave above. :smiley:
Those companies only got on to the TN list after being recommended by TN members who’d received a good and efficient service at a sensible price. :wink:

Excellent, thanks for that. I had seen that list a few days ago but for some reason couldn’t find it earlier. Maybe cos it’s late.

The company was Red Rose in Lancs, on the approved list so should be good. I had a quick look round tonight and seems a lot for the money, and definately a good deal I think, which is why I ws suspicious I guess.

Raz38:
Excellent, thanks for that. I had seen that list a few days ago but for some reason couldn’t find it earlier. Maybe cos it’s late.

The company was Red Rose in Lancs, on the approved list so should be good. I had a quick look round tonight and seems a lot for the money, and definately a good deal I think, which is why I ws suspicious I guess.

Hi Raz38,

Now that you’ve mentioned Red Rose, I can tell you that it’s a well run training school with the correct accreditations for lots of different training courses, cos I’ve been there and seen it for myself.

dieseldave:

Raz38:

Hi Raz38,

Now that you’ve mentioned Red Rose, I can tell you that it’s a well run training school with the correct accreditations for lots of different training courses, cos I’ve been there and seen it for myself.

Small world it seems, your actually from my hometown! Born and raised in the Port!

Good to know its a good firm, seemed like they were pretty sorted!

Raz38:

dieseldave:

Raz38:

Hi Raz38,

Small world it seems, your actually from my hometown! Born and raised in the Port!

Good to know its a good firm, seemed like they were pretty sorted!

Same here mate, all my life here, apart from just over a year that I lived I Italy when I drove for an Italian company.

I’m now an S/E freelance ADR instructor, so I can also tell you that Red Rose are very organised and paid me very promptly when I ran an ADR tanker course one weekend for them when their normal ADR instructor couldn’t run it for some reason.

You’ll not need to look very far to find a cheaper company, but my guess is that a cheaper company wouldn’t have the equipment and resources that Red Rose have. Now that you’ve been to see them, my impartial advice is to stick with them. :wink:

dieseldave:
Now that you’ve been to see them, my impartial advice is to stick with them. :wink:

That was my thought really, everything under one ‘roof’ and only 10 mins from me where I am at the moment.

Thanks

Raz38:

dieseldave:
Now that you’ve been to see them, my impartial advice is to stick with them. :wink:

That was my thought really, everything under one ‘roof’ and only 10 mins from me where I am at the moment.

Thanks

No probs mate, and I’d like to wish you good luck with your training!! :smiley:

Just wanted to say what a nice experience this forum is compared to others.

I am currently faced with a redundancy decision, either apply for a job I don’t really want to stay with my company, or take a payout that should last around 12 months and wander off.

I had a plan, having wanted for years to drive lorrys, and also thought a driving instructor (I have a training background) that a good way to go would be:-

Get HGV licence, look for work, probably agency.

While looking for work (and hopefully find some, even if just odd days to start) train to be a driving instructor.

Eventually hopefully getting 2 trades so surely a hope of work! I don’t ask for a massive wage, only got me to look after, no wife or kids.

You guys here have been helpful, wished me luck etc, and been generally positive.

Some in The ADI community have been the opposite, on a few forums I have visited. To the point that I can’t tell if it’s genuinely that bad, or if it’s people saying ‘it’s our trade, leave it alone’ lol

Not all, I would say, a select few have been ok I do have to admit.

Anyways, my point (long winded as it may be) is that it seems that lorry drivers are nicer, so wanted to say a big thanks for the help and advice! You seem like a great bunch!

Just got to make the decision now :open_mouth:

My wifes an ADI and trust me it is bad, too many instructors and a lack of pupils with money , most people are learning to drive later than the normal 17 years old, high insurance and fuel costs are not helping

Noworries:
My wifes an ADI and trust me it is bad, too many instructors and a lack of pupils with money , most people are learning to drive later than the normal 17 years old, high insurance and fuel costs are not helping

Fair enough, maybe I have been a bit unfair. Was just a little moan though, my real point was to say thanks, I just got a bit waylaid :slight_smile:

Raz38:
Medical
Hazard perception training and test
Theory training and test
Cat C course with test fee
C+E course + test fee
40 hours in vehicle training
ADR course
FLT course
HIAB course
Tachograph course
Dcpc

Total cost £2650

2650 + 115 test fee for CE = 2765
20 hours for C + 20 hours for CE including tests would generally be in the region of 2000
Approved dcpc ADR course seem to be around 550 and get you 21 hours dcpc
medicals around 50
Thats got to 2600 so far …
FLT + HIAB + 7 hour dcpc tacho/drivers hours course got to be a total of 500 at least!!
The initial dcpc if thats what Dcpc is at the bottom would be around 300

That does seem good. After I passed my C+E I totted up what it had cost me- £2045. That includes digi card, medical, theory books, the whole kit and kaboodle to get me on the road, although I was fortunate to pass all the tests first time. To get all that plus ADR, hiab and fork truck is very good, cost me near on £200 for a fork lift refresher a couple of years back.
Extra strings in your bow is only ever a good thing.

My C cost me £1200, CE was £1400, HIAB was £150 or there about’s and the gap between C and CE getting some actual driving in was invaluable. I would whole heartedly recommend that option but most people out there want to go straight for the big stuff.

Good luck, either way :wink: