Safe strapping query

Hi to all out there.
I’ve used this forum in the past and have found the knowledge of its users very helpful.
My question today relates to the safe strapping of loads. I work on a utilities contract and supply cable drums of all sizes to sites. The companies safe strapping policy is the web slings securing the drums are to be crossed over with a ratchet on each side of the vehicle. I do not have a problem with this but have raised concerns about 're securing load when in transit. Having always secured my loads to the near side for safety reasons, should you need to 're secure you load due to a strap slipping or otherwise you would be putting yourself in danger and live traffic on the offside. I would be grateful for any thoughts that members may have on this issue.
Many thanks

Unfortunately its one of the hazards of the job,something that is unavoidable at times.
If at some point you lost your load by knowingly not taking time to securing it properly and it caused a bad accident you could be in serious trouble.

As a utilities contractor you should have those metal framed freestanding men working or keep right/left arrow signs available, keep a couple strapped to the chassis and when you need to access the offside on a busy road put one beside the lorry at the back and another at the front.

Your danger is not from other lorry drivers cos even these days most look out for one another, its from ■■■■■■■■■ in cars who actually aim at you, they won’t want to risk their car on a steel framed sign and having one at each end means they’d have to be travelling fairly slow to actually drive into the gap at you and an accidentally swinging ratchet could easily take their door mirror clean off.

I wish we’d had room on the deck to put a couple of those signs when i was on the transporters, pubic enema number one when stopped outside a car showroom :unamused:

I always strap my loads and have never had a issue

Many thanks for the comments this far. I have always strapped down my load whatever I’ve been transporting. I have always strapped and even in some cases cross strapped to the near side. I understand the opposing forces of one ratchet on each side but in this day and age, as gas been mentioned, it’s the car numpties you have to worry about. Perhaps it’s just me but have always felt that it’s far safer to strap to the near side where ratchets can be got to safely… I thank you for your comments and hope to receive a few more so that I have a good balance when putting my argument forward to my bosses.

Ratchets on the near side also make sense because of the road camber and going round roundabouts.

slowlane:
Ratchets on the near side also make sense because of the road camber and going round roundabouts.

Only if you drive like a ■■■■.

Afraid that my attitude is very simple:

My lorry.

My trailer.

My licence.

I will strap the load down so that I am happy — and you can stick your ‘company policy’ where the sun doesn’t shine.

slowlane:

Depending on the load.As the likes of some of that chipboard loads are like glass.So the straps should be alternated.Ie one ratchet one side one the other and so on down the load

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

daftvader:

slowlane:

Depending on the load.As the likes of some of that chipboard loads are like glass.So the straps should be alternated.Ie one ratchet one side one the other and so on down the load

Good point!

daftvader:

slowlane:

Utter nonsense, chipboard is fine with straps all down one side, doesn’t move even a fraction as much as some people like to make out.

A.

Adonis.:

daftvader:

slowlane:

Utter nonsense, chipboard is fine with straps all down one side, doesn’t move even a fraction as much as some people like to make out.

A.

Always one who knows better i suppose…

Chipboard packs that are metal banded are fine, ones with those crappy plastic bands I “strangle” with the straps…
I don’t think it makes any difference what side the ratchets are on.

groovemachine:
Chipboard packs that are metal banded are fine, ones with those crappy plastic bands I “strangle” with the straps…

I did’nt mean your normal chipboard stuff though.I was talking about the sort of formica covered ones.When double stacked…

daftvader:

groovemachine:

I did’nt mean your normal chipboard stuff though.I was talking about the sort of formica covered ones.When double stacked…

Carried 14 packs of that today, straps on one side, didn’t move at all. Strange that.

A.

Sorry guys. Thanks for all your comments. Didn’t want to start an argument though. O just can’t see how the opposing force theory on the type of load I carry has any relevance, ie cable drums between 1 and 3 metres high. Once the drums have been cross strapped and the appropriate dunnage applied to the drums ( chocks and cradle bearers) i would have thought this would have been more than sufficient to pass any dvsa safety inspection.