To Strap Or not to Strap

On agency last week I was told there was no need to strap this load except for the last two pallets and double strap these. The load was dog biscuits two pallets high. I refused to take it till i used straps on every pallet ( Internal ones ) Am i gong over the top as far as im aware every pallet should strapped.

quite with in your rights … the only reason they don’t want you to strap it is the damage (pos dam) to the product… if they had cardboard edge boards wrapped onto the top of the pallet this would stop any damage but it all comes down to cost … Stuff em its your licence you do the job your way …

stick to your guns, if more did this drivers might be taken more seriously

You were quite right, The driver is allways responsible for the load, People sat in offices don’t get fined for any offence that the police can saddle you with, Ive just read an article in the Commercial Motor Magazine where Avon Police stopped a driver and fined him £100.00. because he had secured his load with ropes over the sheets, They insisted that he strapped it as well & told him he could also have 3 points for this offence, I would have thought if ropes are no longer accepted as a load securing method it should have been made known to the Hauliers & drivers alike, But having said this that’s the way the job is going more rules & regulations Im glad Im retired, Regards Larry.

what u can do m8 each 2plts put on throw internal strap across to other side plt put that thru corner of pallet at bottom pull out and tighten her up no damage and load safe .whatever u loading u the guvnor once its on don’t take any crap from w.house muppets they just want ya out there .firm but polite always works. :smiley:

At the Moment I’m driving an Double decker and the internal straps are not on the edge of the trailer
but quite a few inches inside the trailer so whenever anything on the top deck is up to the roof which is quite often you can’t get the straps over them so can’t strap half the load. I go to Fortec behind Watford Gap services every night and your not allowed outside the cab when they load so you can’t strap as they load which would make it easier

Strap them, you can earn more money easily by doing it (that’s what I do) & it covers your backside when DVSA come knocking…

Ps-that looks like a JackR trailer to me.

mac2505:
10On agency last week I was told there was no need to strap this load except for the last two pallets and double strap these. The load was dog biscuits two pallets high. I refused to take it till i used straps on every pallet ( Internal ones ) Am i gong over the top as far as im aware every pallet should strapped.

A driver told me last week it a 50 quid fine per strap not used,every pallet must be strapped i will always strap.if you have an accident with load un strapped then your in hot water.

sweeper1gg:

mac2505:
10On agency last week I was told there was no need to strap this load except for the last two pallets and double strap these. The load was dog biscuits two pallets high. I refused to take it till i used straps on every pallet ( Internal ones ) Am i gong over the top as far as im aware every pallet should strapped.

A driver told me last week it a 50 quid fine per strap not used,every pallet must be strapped i will always strap.if you have an accident with load un strapped then your in hot water.

The driver who told you that lied. Guidelines state that a load must be secured by something other than its own weight. Nowhere does it tell you HOW loads should be secured, other than to say ropes should be avoided, and ratchet straps shouldn’t be secured to rope hooks.
read this, if your load and vehicle fall into any of the categories on here, you MIGHT be in trouble
intranet.rha.uk.net/docs/newslet … matrix.pdf

Don’t strap it!!!.. Then drive erratically past my house, hopefully shedding you load, saving me a fortune in pets at home, my wee pooch loves them bonio biscuits lol

Yeah, I’d have strapped them too :smiley:

Idiots like their little health and safety rules. Only an idiot that knew nothing about load security would think you can do so by using a little table like VOSA’s.

Any sensible or experienced person would realise in actual fact strapping that load would make it less not more secure.

Own Account Driver:
Idiots like their little health and safety rules. Only an idiot that knew nothing about load security would think you can do so by using a little table like VOSA’s.

Any sensible or experienced person would realise in actual fact strapping that load would make it less not more secure.

This “idiot” has driven trucks for 25 years, in Europe, Africa, Canada and the USA without losing a load. I’ve probably forgotten more about load security than you’ll ever know. If you looked at the table properly, you’d realise that it doesn’t tell the driver how to secure loads, it tells the enforcement officer how to assess a load. Only if a vehicle and load falls into the prohibit category on the table, should a prosecution be brought. The big problem now is that nobody challenges VOSA in court.

well said ol boy l.o.l

Own Account Driver:

I agree with the above statement. Unfortunately sensible or experienced people aren’t the ones with their grubby little mitts on our wallets.

The term rock and hard place come to mind.

essexandy1963:
At the Moment I’m driving an Double decker and the internal straps are not on the edge of the trailer
but quite a few inches inside the trailer so whenever anything on the top deck is up to the roof which is quite often you can’t get the straps over them so can’t strap half the load. I go to Fortec behind Watford Gap services every night and your not allowed outside the cab when they load so you can’t strap as they load which would make it easier

I second that as I’m in the same boat every single load.

So would you strap the above without damaging the boxes ?

depends on how thick the shrink wrap is, if its the strong stuff ( plastic ) then just a light strapping is required, if not pull down with all your might, just to be safe. :laughing:

Well I would try pulling the straps through the bottom of the top pallet then it could be tightened down without doing any damage, IMO, then the internal straps used for the top ones,Regards Larry.

I just pulled 52 pallets of detol and cillit bang cleaner out of derby, and I strapped each stack, but I am paid by the hour so I take my time doing it.
Sometimes the loaders will thread the straps through the block on every 2nd stack, but on this load they threaded thru the block on the back 2.

G6Bob:
Don’t strap it!!!.. Then drive erratically past my house, hopefully shedding you load, saving me a fortune in pets at home, my wee pooch loves them bonio biscuits lol

Keep spending your cash at PAH, my PAH shares need a boost.

Jack Richards trailer? Company policy that all loads are strapped,

I was told if you were stopped by VOSA with a load secured only by internals you would get a advisory IE: internals are no good either, they want it properly ratcheted and strapped.

Just do what you thinks best at the end of the day :smiley: