Strapping a load on the HS

I’ve seen quite a few drivers parked on the hard shoulder securing their load. Isn’t that dangerous/forbidden? Even curtainsiders, the guy had his os open and was tugging on the internal strap with traffic zipping past him, wtf

Nothing wrong with re-checking the tension of straps etc, but in a layby with no break from the road is plain daft!

noisycarl:
Nothing wrong with re-checking the tension of straps etc, but in a layby with no break from the road is plain daft!

On the hard shoulder on motorways …

If something has become dangerously unsecured,then you have no choice.
Happened to me twice(On flats)…although one of the times I managed to pull up a slip road.

This is why I always make sure ratchets are on the nearside when loading

I preferred to,but some of my loads required ratchets on both sides.

commonrail:
If something has become dangerously unsecured,then you have no choice.
Happened to me twice(On flats)…although one of the times I managed to pull up a slip road.

Same here. Frantic flashing and pointing alerted me to a strap that had come unravelled, bloody thing was ■■■■ near invisible in the nearside mirror. Luckily I was half a mile from slip road, no way in the world was I stopping on a hard shoulder if I could avoid it.

Check the strapping OR lose part or all the load over the carriage and cause mayhem and then get pulled before the beak for insecure load.
That would not be a tough a decision for me.

If you strap it on properly it cannot come undone.

Conor said so only last week!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Uncleskid:

No no!, all the straps ratchets must be on the offside so you can see them, and keep a check on them in your drivers mirror.
I know this is true as it was told to me by a DCPC trainer that this is the correct and legal way, I trust him as he was a driving god having done eighteen months driving a Tosco vehicle !

Twoninety88:

Uncleskid:

No no!, all the straps ratchets must be on the offside so you can see them, and keep a check on them in your drivers mirror.
I know this is true as it was told to me by a DCPC trainer that this is the correct and legal way, I trust him as he was a driving god having done eighteen months driving a Tosco vehicle !

Half the ratchets should be on either side.
That way you halve your chances of being hit by passing traffic on one side, and halve your chances of falling in the brambles on the other.
?

Twoninety88:

Uncleskid:

Ratchets on nearside every time so if they are loose your not stood with your back to traffic.

Sent from my SM-A320FL using Tapatalk

mat79:

Twoninety88:

Uncleskid:

Ratchets on nearside every time so if they are loose your not stood with your back to traffic.

Some loads require ratcheting from both sides so all the forces on large items arn’t only in one direction.

Franglais:

Twoninety88:

Uncleskid:

That way you halve your chances of being hit by passing traffic on one side, and halve your chances of falling in the brambles on the other.
?

This of course I know, just pointing out some of the carp you are told by some of these trainers. I think after more than 45 years I know how to strap a load :slight_smile: and yes, depending on the type of material you are strapping dictates what direction the strap is being pulled in.

nyk473l:

mat79:

Twoninety88:

Uncleskid:

Some loads require ratcheting from both sides so all the forces on large items arn’t only in one direction.

Yep. True. Mesh for example.
I just meant as a general rule of thumb.

Twoninety88:

Franglais:

Twoninety88:

Uncleskid:

?

This of course I know, just pointing out some of the carp you are told by some of these trainers. I think after more than 45 years I know how to strap a load :slight_smile: and yes, depending on the type of material you are strapping dictates what direction the strap is being pulled in.

Actually my tounge was in my cheek:
If access is needed to both sides (on the Hard shoulder) the vehicle will need to be shunted or parked to allow access to both sides, hence you’re at risk from both brambles and passing traffic.
Loads should be treated as individual cases. I’ve just loaded one and put all the straps on the same (passenger) side. Tautliner, but I put as many straps as possible on the chassis, so they can be easily checked without opening the sides.
And DCPC instructors can be good, but those like the one you’re talking about, who apply hard’n’ fast rules to situations they’ve no experience of are a pain, for sure.

I drive a flatbed, and always have rachets on offside so I can see them in drivers mirror.

rambo19:
I drive a flatbed, and always have rachets on offside so I can see them in drivers mirror.

Just out of interest.
What’s wrong with the passenger mirror?

Which side do you strap them if you load in Scotland and tipping in Spain or vice versa?

Wheel Nut:
Which side do you strap them if you load in Scotland and tipping in Spain or vice versa?

Both [emoji1787]