Running on white and red diesel?

Hopefully someone can help me please?

We have been asked to build a vehicle that while it is running on the road runs on white diesel. But when the vehicle is “on site” a switch can be flicked to change it over to run on red diesel to power the jetting and vacuum pumps?

Of course there are two seperate fuel tanks, linked with a series of change over valves etc.

I am being told that there is a French company that makes exactly what we are looking for. Can anyone throw some more light on the subject please?

Plus, how legal do you consider it to be?

Thanks in advance

BTBR

perfectly legal so long as the tank with the cherry in it is clearly marked “rebated fuel not for road use” although i would check with hmce as the rules on use of cherry will change next year.

let us know if u manage it

i know a few lads might be interested in gettin one

lol

vernonbish777:
let us know if u manage it

i know a few lads might be interested in gettin one

lol

We have been told that it is a common practise to have this type of fuel system, for this type of vehicle in France & Spain?

I would guess that it would also require 2 seperate engines. 1 for the prime mover running on “white”, the 2nd for the ancillery equipment running on “red”
same as youd run a refridgerated artic otherwise how could you justify or prove to VOSA that you hadnt been running the prime mover on the highway fuelled by “red” diesel, as the system would be contaminated and checks would show the prime mover HAD been run at somepoint on red

most airport airside/landside scissor trucks and food wagons have this type of sysem. may well be worth contacting one of the airside providors.

peirre:
I would guess that it would also require 2 seperate engines. 1 for the prime mover running on “white”, the 2nd for the ancillery equipment running on “red”
same as youd run a refridgerated artic otherwise how could you justify or prove to VOSA that you hadnt been running the prime mover on the highway fuelled by “red” diesel, as the system would be contaminated and checks would show the prime mover HAD been run at somepoint on red

We do normally do this, the last vehicle that we built had its own Volvo FL engine mounted behind the cab just to drive all the aux equipment :open_mouth:

But we have been asked by the customer for this very specific system, hence my question.

Snippet taken from HMRC website:-

Dual fuel supply systems
6.9 A number of respondents proposed that vehicles with permanently attached machinery, driven by power take off from the engine used for propelling the vehicle, should be allowed to operate dual fuel supply systems. The proposal was that such vehicles should use white diesel on road, but that the engine should be supplied with a red diesel from a separate tank whilst stationary.
Comment
6.10 There are obvious attractions to a solution that would permit vehicles to use white diesel for travelling between jobs and red diesel for performing work whilst stationary. However, the benefits of such an approach are outweighed by the practical considerations. Permitting the engine of a road vehicle to be connected to a red diesel tank would be a temptation to fraud. Ultimately no system is tamper proof, and we believe that the cost to industry and to Customs of ensuring compliance would be disproportional to the benefits. There are also concerns as to the implications for road safety, in the event that tampering does occur. It would be inappropriate at a time when HMRC is achieving success in bringing road fuel fraud under control, to introduce a concession that could undermine these efforts.

It would appear that they are not to keen on the idea then :confused:

BTBR:
Snippet taken from HMRC website:-

Dual fuel supply systems
6.9 A number of respondents proposed that vehicles with permanently attached machinery, driven by power take off from the engine used for propelling the vehicle, should be allowed to operate dual fuel supply systems. The proposal was that such vehicles should use white diesel on road, but that the engine should be supplied with a red diesel from a separate tank whilst stationary.
Comment
6.10 There are obvious attractions to a solution that would permit vehicles to use white diesel for travelling between jobs and red diesel for performing work whilst stationary. However, the benefits of such an approach are outweighed by the practical considerations. Permitting the engine of a road vehicle to be connected to a red diesel tank would be a temptation to fraud. Ultimately no system is tamper proof, and we believe that the cost to industry and to Customs of ensuring compliance would be disproportional to the benefits. There are also concerns as to the implications for road safety, in the event that tampering does occur. It would be inappropriate at a time when HMRC is achieving success in bringing road fuel fraud under control, to introduce a concession that could undermine these efforts.

It would appear that they are not to keen on the idea then :confused:

Well yes and no - they’ve said that they don’t intend doing anything about it so if you get away with running on cherry by having dual tanks, well done.

they still dontlike it. i remember a while ago they objected to menzies aviation having this device fited to their airside trucks. took it to court menzies won

As far as I’m aware this is completely illegal.

See this link.

Point 4.3 very specifically says:

Dual fuel systems are not permitted

So there ya go - it seems it is a non starter.

Paul

On a slightly related subject, what is the legal position on belly tanks now? Are they totally illegal?

I had a generator on my chassis and was not allowed to fill it with red in Germany or Holland and was dipped regular. I saw somewhere that even fridge trailers will need to run on derv next year.

The French seem to have stopped using pick axes to dip your belly tank now Harry :stuck_out_tongue: