It's fine to run on red

Honestly it is. Speaking to a driver today he broke down(ran out off diesel) whilst walking to the nearest SOS phone box(must not off had a mobile then) a copper stopped him, asked if it was his lorry and what the problem was. Told him he was out off fuel when the policeman asked what was in the cans on the back, red diesel for the plant. The officer said to use it it’s fine to get him out off trouble aslong as there’s no more than 1/4 off a tankful it’s ok. So chaps just run on 1/4 tank take a few cans off red with you for the frequent top ups and save yourselfs some money. :slight_smile:

Brilliant…:slight_smile::):slight_smile:

Is it fine to run on red ?

Or did a copper allow somebody to get out of trouble?

Trucknet CSI all leave now revoked!
I expect your investigations within due course!

And the copper didn’t say anything to a professional driver about it being an offence to not have sufficient fuel to complete your journey on a motorway? (Assuming its a motorway as you mentioned SOS phones)

i would guess he got this in writing ,for when customs and excise dip him , but its written with invisible ink that only C&E can read :laughing: :unamused:

I wonder how many realise once you run on red the dye that is put in the diesel is then in your system and can be traced at anytime.
Maybe that copper said it was ok but it certainly is not!

obviously an ELF n SAFFTTY issue
get off the hard shoulder asap

The vehicle gets seized by HMC& E if caught running on red, they sell the truck,end of.

albion1971:
I wonder how many realise once you run on red the dye that is put in the diesel is then in your system and can be traced at anytime.
Maybe that copper said it was ok but it certainly is not!

thats what i was thinking

m1cks:
And the copper didn’t say anything to a professional driver about it being an offence to not have sufficient fuel to complete your journey on a motorway? (Assuming its a motorway as you mentioned SOS phones)

Since there is no such offence, why would he say anything about it?

toby1234abc:
The vehicle gets seized by HMC& E if caught running on red, they sell the truck,end of.

So what happens when the new owner gets dipped and done for running on red when he has not been using red? How does he prove otherwise.

don’t even go there they can find it in tank months later

The red dye stays in the filters after it has been flushed out with white.Then Customs do not need a search warrant and take away the office computers to find how many litres have been used and how many miles covered with rebated fuel then a big bill lands on the door mat.
But you can NOT be arrested or detained if caught using red on the road.They can only take your details but you can refuse to do that too.

years ago when there was a tanker drivers went on strike,we were running on red,because of carrying food ,that would have dyed the system

Surely after a certain amount of time the trace will disappear?

I find it hard to believe that a little bit of red will stand out for the life of the truck after the vast amounts of diesel that will go through the system in the following months/years.

Customs will use cctv and cameras on the road and work out how far on red you went.
Even at the fuel garage and Msa will record the journey.When stopping for the loo or a coffee.
Customs have more powers than the Police.Plain clothed officers can be sat next to you listening to your activities while having a brew up in the transport cafe.

But lads, this driver was told its fine to use it aslong as you only have 1/4 tankful it’s fine do you think maybe he was telling me porkies? :wink:

In a dire situation, ie no duty paid fuel available and journey is absolutely necessary,telephone HMRC road fuel unit ( In my case it was in Dundee ) ask for a dispensation,get a name and the disp ref take fuel get receipt. Then at a later date call them again with the receipt amount ie liters and ££ they will kindly advise you how much vat and duty is payable :frowning: .
Done this twice, and a visit in the following months to make sure youre not taking the pi$$. finally keep the paperwork with the vehicle.

Karl86:
Honestly it is. Speaking to a driver today he broke down(ran out off diesel) whilst walking to the nearest SOS phone box(must not off had a mobile then) a copper stopped him, asked if it was his lorry and what the problem was. Told him he was out off fuel when the policeman asked what was in the cans on the back, red diesel for the plant. The officer said to use it it’s fine to get him out off trouble aslong as there’s no more than 1/4 off a tankful it’s ok. So chaps just run on 1/4 tank take a few cans off red with you for the frequent top ups and save yourselfs some money. :slight_smile:

I think the word you were looking for is ‘have’.
Apologies for being a grammar ■■■■.

LR18-8:
Surely after a certain amount of time the trace will disappear?

I find it hard to believe that a little bit of red will stand out for the life of the truck after the vast amounts of diesel that will go through the system in the following months/years.

The dye they use is very strong.We used to pick it up from Dewsbury.Not sure if factory is still there now.All the workers there were a funny shade of red!
If I remember 1 litre used to dye 45500 litres(10000 gals).There will always be traces of it in the system unless it is stripped and properly cleaned.