It's fine to run on red

dancompression:

Karl86:
Honestly it is. Speaking to a driver today he broke down(ran out off diesel) whilst walking to the nearest SOS phone box(must not off had a mobile then) a copper stopped him, asked if it was his lorry and what the problem was. Told him he was out off fuel when the policeman asked what was in the cans on the back, red diesel for the plant. The officer said to use it it’s fine to get him out off trouble aslong as there’s no more than 1/4 off a tankful it’s ok. So chaps just run on 1/4 tank take a few cans off red with you for the frequent top ups and save yourselfs some money. :slight_smile:

I think the word you were looking for is ‘have’.
Apologies for being a grammar ■■■■.

I think if you check that is completely illegal.

scarboroughpete:
don’t even go there they can find it in tank months later

That’s about as real as the tooth fairy, check your facts, not rumours.

Ross.

bigr250:

scarboroughpete:

Ross.

Never mind months later.They can find it anytime later.There will be traces until the system is properly cleaned and that is not a rumour it is a fact.

red fuel dye also has an enzyme put into it that can’t be cleaned out the same way as the dye can be, this is traceable for a long time, as someone said earlier if you inform HMRC and pay duty on the fuel you have used this is totally acceptable, they will then have a record for which vehicle used it and when, so if checked in the future they will know the vehicle wasn’t run on tax exempt fuel to defraud HMRC :sunglasses: :sunglasses: :sunglasses: :sunglasses: :sunglasses: :sunglasses:

albion1971:

bigr250:

scarboroughpete:

Ross.

Never mind months later.They can find it anytime later.There will be traces until the system is properly cleaned and that is not a rumour it is a fact.

Even if they could, why would they as the law is quite specific about running a commercial on rebated fuel, or carrying it in a chassis mounted tank. We have a yard shunter that’s run only on red & if we ever chose to restore it to a show truck we could empty the red, flush the system with kerosene & chuck in some white & hey presto, fully legal so long as their isn’t any more than 'trace elements in the fuel system.

Remember, fuel tankers that deliver diesel use the same hoses to deliver derv, Kero & gas oil so there will always be a trace of gas oil 'red as well as Kero ‘euro marker’ dye in your derv.

Ross.

I am not saying they would unless they had specific suspicions about a company or a vehicle sometimes running on red. Maybe things have changed but when I drove fuel tankers it was a well known fact that if a vehicle ever ran on red the dye would still be in the system.
I am not sure how it would work with a vehicle that ran on red as a shunter but with the company I worked for they would never let that vehicle on the road without being properly cleaned so there were no traces.
I suppose some companies would be prepared to take the chance hoping they never got caught.

so when you have a bulk delivery of derv ,and the day before it had gas oil in :wink:

albion1971:
I am not saying they would unless they had specific suspicions about a company or a vehicle sometimes running on red. Maybe things have changed but when I drove fuel tankers it was a well known fact that if a vehicle ever ran on red the dye would still be in the system.
I am not sure how it would work with a vehicle that ran on red as a shunter but with the company I worked for they would never let that vehicle on the road without being properly cleaned so there were no traces.
I suppose some companies would be prepared to take the chance hoping they never got caught.

I’ve heard from lots of drivers, most of whom know other drivers that have been fined for not winding their landing legs all the way to the top & were charged £10 for every turn of the handle it took to wind them all the way!!!

It’s what’s known as ‘Chinese whispers’, they get taken as fact by people who hear the horror stories. The traceable red years after is as much propaganda from HMRC as anything, scare the people into not running on it. There is no offence of “having once” run on red unless they have documented proof that it’s been run on the road on rebated fuel.

d4c24a:
so when you have a bulk delivery of derv ,and the day before it had gas oil in :wink:

Unless you getting less than a full tanker load, the delivery 5 mins before your derv could have been gas oil!!

Ross.

bigr250:

albion1971:

I’ve heard from lots of drivers, most of whom know other drivers that have been fined for not winding their landing legs all the way to the top & were charged £10 for every turn of the handle it took to wind them all the way!!!

It’s what’s known as ‘Chinese whispers’, they get taken as fact by people who hear the horror stories. The traceable red years after is as much propaganda from HMRC as anything, scare the people into not running on it. There is no offence of “having once” run on red unless they have documented proof that it’s been run on the road on rebated fuel.

d4c24a:

Fair enough if that is what you think.I have heard differently but I do not want to argue.

A bulk delivery could be 6000 gallons.The amount of red which was between the foot valve and the fawcet valve was minimal and certainly not enough to contaminate any vehicles.
Of course now with bottom loading there would be no red left anywhere.

Unless you getting less than a full tanker load, the delivery 5 mins before your derv could have been gas oil!!

Ross.

irrelevant weather its a bottom load ,footvalve 50 metres of hose or whatever,it would still have a trace and C&E would not care
20% red in your tank would be a different matter

d4c24a:
irrelevant weather its a bottom load ,footvalve 50 metres of hose or whatever,it would still have a trace and C&E would not care
20% red in your tank would be a different matter

Well said that man!!!

Talk about missing the point. :unamused:

I seem to remember the trace could be no more than 3%. At least that is what I worked on when coming into Dover

When we all ran on red and had the tanks sealed by HMCE, there was nothing to stop us coming back into the UK with traces of red in the tank or in the filters.

customs.hmrc.gov.uk/channelsPort … _CL_000164

A lot of people spouting a lot of bollox about a subject they know sfa about.

So what if there’s traces? Whoopie do, big deal.

As an example, a country estate manager might have, amongst a fleet of vehicles at his disposal, a Land Rover Defender which rarely goes out onto the road, but because it does, runs on white all the time.

One year the tax & MOT expire on the now aging Land Rover. Manager decides that because there is now a new modern fairly fast tractor in the fleet, the Land Rover no longer needs to go out onto the road. A SORN declaration is submitted to DVLA. As it is now used solely within the private estate it can be run 100% legally on red.

6 months later there is a change of management policy and it is decided the LR once again needs to be used on the road. Filled up with white, serviced with new fuel filters, MOT’d & taxed and out onto the road legally.

albion1971:
I wonder how many realise once you run on red the dye that is put in the diesel is then in your system and can be traced at anytime.
Maybe that copper said it was ok but it certainly is not!

The dye remains in the filters for ever and if checked it’s a big fine.

Well your fuel filters shouldn’t be on for “ever” so that’s purely academic :open_mouth:

HMC&E often ran checks in the ports, after all they do have officers on the spot. If you had been on a journey outside the EEC, they never bothered to check, as there was no chance of a prosecution as there was legitimate reasons to explain any red if they found any.

Not all trailers had belly tanks (& not everyone went outside the EEC) and some used two tanks, one for red, one for white with hydraulic snap together couplings on the fuel lines.

Fuel goes through a fuel system quite quickly, around 7gals in a mile, so putting the feed on the white tank and leaving the return on red when you got to Calais, Zeebrugge, wherever, would mean that by the time you got on the boat and off the other side, queued to get past customs etc, the return could be snapped on to the white tank without fear of contamination.

If customs did check, they dipped the tank, they never spun fuel filters off. They couldn’t do anything about the red tank as it was not connected to the fuel supply anymore.

This is all real world, not theory and the chemical properties of the dye, the only way you’ll get nicked for running on red st a roadside check is if you’re running on red at the time.

If haulage firms stuck togethet and each firm dyed the colour of their storage tanks in their yards it would make it easier to catch fuel thieves.
Each firm would have a different colour of dye.
At the moment if a fuel thief is caught with stolen diesel he just gives a story as the same white colour.
If caught with purple coloured fuel that Bloggs transport use then he is nicked.

Pat Hasler:
The dye remains in the filters for ever and if checked it’s a big fine.

For what exactly?

newmercman:
This is all real world, not theory and the chemical properties of the dye, the only way you’ll get nicked for running on red at a roadside check is if you’re running on red at the time.

Spot on.

hold on here folks,i’ll like to clear a few things up here…

NO.1 the customs will not take ur lorry of u the 1st 2 times u get caught,u get fined £400 and pay something like 40p a lt thats left in ur tank and u have 24 hours to get it out. 2nd time u get caught u get fined £400 and the price per lt doubles and depeans on the lts thats left in the tanks. 3rd time u get caught they lift ur lorry…but if u have HP on the lorry they HP company can get the lorry back because its their lorry not yous.

NO.2 send all your red fuel over here to monaghan/armagh border and we take the all the dye out of it for yous.easy

now lets here it from the trucknet cops

milkchurns:
NO.2 send all your red fuel over here to monaghan/armagh border and we take the all the dye out of it for yous.easy

now lets here it from the trucknet cops

yes and ■■■■ the pumps right up with all the ■■■■ they use to "clean it " :laughing: