Dyed Diesel...

Hi Folks

Found this through another forum.
cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? … 74785&rd=1

Basically this chap is selling a die to convert any diesel to blue, including Red.

What do you think about that… I am sure some of you here can educate whether this is legal please :slight_smile:

Red diesel in my experience is used for shunters but primarily for agricultural use. If the old bill dip your tank and you are sporting red you are nailed because it is not taxed for public highway use. Road legal diesel is blue already so imho a desire to buy this product reveals dubious intentions. :wink:

A couple of years ago a clever chap invented a dye to turn red diesel into blue derv fuel and planned on marketing it. He was basing his theory (correctly) on the fact that it wasn’t illegal to manufacture, sell or own such a product and it would be only the users who would commit the offence by using it. HMC&E had a quiet word in his ear to the effect that they would prosecute him for aiding and abetting tax evasion as there could be no other legitimate use for his product.

Don’t mess with the tax man, his powers are far wider ranging that that of any other law enforcement agency.

i dont careabout the colour of the diesel as long as its not green :smiley:

it’s not just the red dye that is detected by the IR, there is a certain chemical which show up in tests anyway, changing the red to blue will not fool IR :exclamation:

when the fuel strike was on (the last one,cant remember the year cos ive slept since then). i was an owner driver for a concrete company. the transport manager for that company ill call him five knuckle shuffler hear :smiley: told us that we HAD to use red diesel that they used for the plant machinery so we could get the concrete out.
most of us refused and were told our contracts would be terminated by five knuckle shuffler,so i told him i would run on red,but only after i have been to see the customs and excise, giving his name and the memo he sent out and if they agreed i`d do it. :wink:

five knuckle shuffler [zb] himsen and sent another memo via email to the plants ordering the batchers to NOT UNDER ANY SURCUMSTANCE allow drivers to fill up on red :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

oh did i suffer after that :open_mouth: :laughing:

Small one.L. :wink:

We have blue dye in our diesel after a spate of thefts. In order to use this we have to have permission from HM Customs and Excise who send us a letter of authority with each vehicle registration on to show to VOSA if we are stopped. The company will not provide us with the dye without that authority so I am pretty sure anyone selling it any other way is on a sticky wicket!!!

Pat Hasler:
it’s not just the red dye that is detected by the IR, there is a certain chemical which show up in tests anyway, changing the red to blue will not fool IR :exclamation:

This is true.

The Customs men have also been known to remove fuel pipes etc as the chemical that is added to make red diesel leaves deposits in the fuel lines.

Whilst the diesel in the tank may be perfectly legal, they can still tell if red diesel has been used.

Nessa:
We have blue dye in our diesel after a spate of thefts. In order to use this we have to have permission from HM Customs and Excise who send us a letter of authority with each vehicle registration on to show to VOSA if we are stopped. The company will not provide us with the dye without that authority so I am pretty sure anyone selling it any other way is on a sticky wicket!!!

The bloke who is auctioning the dye claims to be the only person selling the product.

Nessa, do you get the dye from this supplier?

I wonder if this eBay seller has been authorized by Customs & Excise to sell it?

From what I gather the southern Irish equivalent of red diesel is coloured with a green die. Allegedly a gallon of green and a gallon of red produce’s a gallon of clear.

Sounds like it contains sulphuric acid, the acid bleaches the red dye, it also knackers up the injection pump and injectors as they are not made of stainless steel. Truck manufactures will not honour warranty claims caused by what they consider to be damage caused contaminated fuel, and no its not legal, by the time C&E have finished calculating how much excise you’ve avoided in their opinion (their calculators are very biased), and billed you for the amount they say you owe them, you are knackered my son.
And just for good measure C&E kindly notify your area traffic office, and the traffic commissioner will then invite you round to her/his office for a little chat to inform you that you are no longer of good repute, and to kiss bye bye to your O/License.

In 1987 i started working for a very large company (no names mentioned) they used fuel bunkering and they supplies were limited during the night. I left our depot near MK one night for Somerset with less than half a tank expecting to fill up at the usual suppliers at Swindon, when I got there it was locked up, two other drivers with me had full tanks and enough to do the round trip, I was now a one quarter full and told by phone to carry on, fuel would be arranged for me in Somerset. On arrival fuel was not supplied and I was told to find some my self or wait for 8 hours for the day shift. Another driver with me noticed a ‘RED’ fuel pump for the fork lift, we half filled the tank and I ran back. The trauck I was driving was a spare from HO as mine was on service, a week later it had gone but a couple of months down the line an inquest was held into how the fuel filter on that truck showed traces of ‘RED’ :question:

The stuff NEVER goes away :exclamation: so it’s just not the risk :exclamation: :exclamation: :exclamation:

smeserver:
Basically this chap is selling a die to convert any diesel to blue, including Red.

:slight_smile:

isn’t it a marker dye so you can tell if anyones helping themself to your diesel ?

marlow:
From what I gather the southern Irish equivalent of red diesel is coloured with a green die. Allegedly a gallon of green and a gallon of red produce’s a gallon of clear.

Or two gallons of clear? :confused:

Pat Hasler:
In 1987 i started working for a very large company (no names mentioned) they used fuel bunkering…

What’s fuel bunkering?

Andyroo:
Or two gallons of clear? :confused:

:blush: Good point Andy

There have been numerous attempts by clever people to remove the markers and turn rebated fuel into white derv. The only successful way which left no trace was to filter the gas oil through fullers earth.

The fullers earth cost more than the savings made.

It is a dye that is there to make it easier for c and e to trace, and they will

Was up in Seaforth Docks the other day in my old hackney carriage and got pulled by HM Customs at the gate on my way out. Dipped my tank and also checked the specific gravity of the fuel. The girl said that dodgy dieso was different. So its not just the colour.

we use Red for the fridge motors - the pump is labelled ‘Gas Oil’ not diesel, so you shouldn’t mix them up