Red diesel question

Just a query, today a bloke i know was telling me that he had a phonecall from TM saying that the last fuel delvdry that was made was ■■■■■■ up and red diesel was delivered instead of white… meaning that, when the guy filled up…yup, hes now running with red diesel in the tank :confused: :open_mouth:

obviously, the company has quarentined their fuel pumps and know about the major balls up but as adriver, where would he stand if he got tugged by vosa/HMRC?

I would think in deep do do.
Till the tm/md of his firm get it in writing from the fuel firm that they dropped a bulluck by wrong fuel delivery.
Then they might just be paying for the dvsa xmas bash.
The tank would need draining and washing to get the red dye out aswell.

i tend to agree, customs and excise love pulling in wagons to check for red derv…

However i am willing to only charge a nominal fee for removal of the offensive fuel , no questions asked :wink: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

Won’t be a problem, if I accidentally filled up with red diesel and phoned HMRC to tell them, all they would do is charge me the duty on it. I know people this has happened to.

Stonehouse69:
but as adriver, where would he stand if he got tugged by vosa/HMRC?

He’s fine. The user of the vehicle in this case is the operator, the operator is also responsible for paying to fuel duty. Tell him to relax, its his boss’s problem.

tell ur m8 they will say u have knowledge that its in tank and proof of mistake it should of been drained b4 put on road in other words hes nicked know its not his fault but that’s what they will do m8 trust me I have personal knowledge on this matter l;ol :smiley:

as long as the company contacts hmrc and explains what has happened i.e. the delivering companies fault and they have paid the excise duty on the fuel there will not be a problem, wont be the first or the last time a cockup like this happens.
trucks have run on rebate fuel before when the fuel tanker drivers were on strike, as long as the duty is paid hmrc are happy :sunglasses: :sunglasses: :sunglasses: :sunglasses:

bertiebus:

Just draining no need to wash it, the filter could be drained and lines blown out, if you want to be really thorough. After a couple of tanks, the amount of the dye/chemical marker left would be so minute that it would be virtually undetectable, all the customs do is dip, they have to have their suspicions of fraudulent activity before taking a vehicle/fuel sample to be thoroughly tested.

He could let all the red get used and reorder white when it’s run out… :wink:

i’m really surprised that he told the drivers rather than get all the wagons into the garage to have their tanks drained, and feed the drivers any old bs.

wildfire:
as long as the company contacts hmrc and explains what has happened i.e. the delivering companies fault and they have paid the excise duty on the fuel there will not be a problem, wont be the first or the last time a cockup like this happens.
trucks have run on rebate fuel before when the fuel tanker drivers were on strike, as long as the duty is paid hmrc are happy :sunglasses: :sunglasses: :sunglasses: :sunglasses:

^^^^this^^^^^^ It’s legal to run on red - as long as duty has been paid and can be shown to have been paid.

If he dont get dipped(very ulikely) happy days
And now some numpty is going to come on here and tell me that the “red dye” will exist forever and customs can tell if you ever ever had red in.

They are full o ■■■■■
run red and run the risk.
best of luck to you.

MMTM an engine will never run backwards on red :laughing: :wink:

:wink:

bertiebus:
I would think in deep do do.
Till the tm/md of his firm get it in writing from the fuel firm that they dropped a bulluck by wrong fuel delivery.
Then they might just be paying for the dvsa xmas bash.

I don’t know anyone on this planet who’d bother with something like that.

Since public service stations are unlikely to be taking deliveries of standard white diesel from the same tanker that’s got cherry in it as well, I’d have to say the whole scenario as described could only happen if

(1) Truck yard takes a delivery of both types of diesel.
(2) Someone then decides to fill up their car under cover of night (as some do) only to not realise they’ve just filled their chugga TDI with cherry…
(3) Trucker comes along, starts to fill up, and notices it’s cherry before he’s put 10 litres in. IF he’s awake of course.

…so only someone pilfering stock is going to “come a cropper” going out of the road in “good faith” as it were, with diesel that’s both nicking from the yard, and from HMRC in terms of fuel duty - the only difference (other than the dye) between white and cherry. :wink:

Alternative (b)
Strain the cherry through Na2SO4 (Cat Litter) which takes the dye out. :sunglasses: :wink:

I will try your ‘cat litter’ filter trick then before I fill up next time (out of our boats 8000 ltr tanks) :wink: :wink:

wildfire:

Exactly this! I ran on red a while back(fuel strike1999/2000 was it?) kept records,declared it to HMRC paid the tax due end of story,BTW don’t listen to the old wives/waiting room tale that “red” will damage your engine my main customer has just taken delivery of a new machine 3/4 times the price of a Vol/Scan/Daf 44 ton unit it runs just fine on “red” :wink:

BTW your diesel Pug,Focus,Mondeo,VW etc chuggabug will run on central heating oil(however I’m not condoning illegal use) or dependant on model & year chip oil :wink: :wink:

As long as the boss reports it HMRC then they will be fine, maybe another couple of tanks full of red would not be pushing it too far? :wink:

My old merc 270 loves a bit of “chablais”
And you know it feels good that I am not paying for some ■■■■ of an MP to drop bombs on people like me and you or ■■■■ it up the wall at some very important meeting about poverty that is not held in bangladesh but in the Maldives.
God dont they suffer for their cause

raymundo:
I will try your ‘cat litter’ filter trick then before I fill up next time (out of our boats 8000 ltr tanks) :wink: :wink:

It’s the fullers earth (Na2SO4) in the cat litter that discolours the dye. A good filter is needed to get rid of all the dust particles that would end up otherwise clouding up the fuel.

I was always under the impression you could pay the Tax/Duty on the fuel in cases like this.

The Sarge:

wildfire:

^^^^this^^^^^^ It’s legal to run on red - as long as duty has been paid and can be shown to have been paid.

happend at where i work a couple of months ago, all they did was contact the hrmc informed them of the mix up and paid the duty, all the drivers (26 of us) were running around for a month with a laminated certificate that they recieved from the hrmc too prove that the duty had been paid