Run of bad luck

I seem to be on an extreme run of bad luck, it all started about the end of August, I was working for an owner driver on powder tanks doing “4 on 4 off”, I was getting paid monthly but at the end August my boss said he was having cash flow problems and would have to pay me in a couple of weeks, I was going on holiday to Spain that day but he promised I would be paid when I got home. So off we went to Spain, three days into the holiday my wife got mugged and most of our holiday money got nicked, then our 1 year old daughter got bit on the foot and ended up in hospital and just for good measure it rained for the last three days. When I returned home I rang my boss to see if he had my money, and guess what he didn’t have it, but said I would get it in a day or 2, so like an idiot I did my next four shifts expecting to get paid very soon. Anyway to cut a long story short I told him to stick it and I still haven’t been paid, so I started job hunting but there wasn’t much about but eventually I got a tipper job, that was a disaster and only lasted a few hours because I had an accident ( see previous post). It took me about 3 weeks to recover from the accident and I have been looking for a job ever since, there just isn’t any jobs about at the moment, it must be the time of year or something, I have signed on with 2 agencies but they are slack at the moment and it seems a lot of the firms round here have taken on Polish drivers, so no jobs left for poor old me. The last time i had any money go in the bank was at the end of July so things are getting a bit desperate now. The final bit of bad look is some thieving so and so stole my car yesterday, which will make getting a job a lot harder.

Paul

sorry to hear about your run of bad luck.
regarding your ex boos that owes you that money take a few of the boys round or do some more work for him but hide the truck till you get paid.

Jeeze PaulGy, I am so sorry to hear about the time you are having. What’s the agency situation like round your way it’s usually pretty good at this time of year and many companies like to see how you work then offer you a permanant posision. Try to find out which companies are on which contracts ie: Manpower have a lot to do with Royal Mail. Have your injuries healed ok?
Good luck bud!

Ladytrucker679, I’m healing quite well, got a nice scar across my lip and had my upper gum pulled together with steel wire at the hospital, thats still a bit sore but the wire comes out next week , I’ve only a 1 call from the agency, 11pm on Sunday night and can I start at 4am Monday morning, I know I am in need of work but I aint putting up with that.

neil46, the bloke who owes me the money is out working in the truck most days so I never know where he is.

Paul

Paul, I hope the rug-rat’s fully recovered. What a bummer. On holiday I rarely carry large amounts of cash. Use mainly credit cards (split between the two of us), and cash points for everyday needs. (The transaction charges are higher, but I think it’s worth it).

In the next week or two, Fridge work will start to become Manic in the lead up to Xmas. I’ve already been offered ‘fixed’ bookings throughout December.

If the agencies you are using are not producing results, go elsewhere! (within reason).

Keep on top of the compensation claim.

Best of luck.

a letter to your boss from a lawyer might do the trick,if an owner driver takes on a driver they should ensure they have the funs to meet the wages.not your fault that he is a crap owner driver is it.

Keep yer pecker up Paul, ive been through a bit of a run meself M8, it’s pants i know, but we have to keep on keeping on eh! :smiley: Good Luck.

are you HGV1 or 2 ■■

I ask cos the scunny local rag has a few ads for work for class 1 including out of immingham docks.

paulGY:
the bloke who owes me the money is out working in the truck most days so I never know where he is.

Paul

Do what my mate did when a guy owed him money… he took his truck round there and parked across his drive till the guy paid up!!!

I did a similar thing when a car rental firm owed my wifey money ( her deposit ). I went down there in the unit, parked across their gate. At this point, a spotty yoof ( the car washer??) told me I couldn’t park there. to which I replied I just had and glared at him. Three minutes later, I walked out with the cash in my paw :o))))

Paul have you not tried Protemp (opposite Grimsby library).

Dean or Claire are the contacts there and I was getting plenty of work off them up until I left a few weeks ago.

Paul, go and join a union. Their solicitors will hopefully sort the bloke out. Hope the good lucks as good as the er bad :confused: .

Liberace:
Paul, go and join a union. Their solicitors will hopefully sort the bloke out. Hope the good lucks as good as the er bad :confused: .

They won’t help with an problem that occured before joining. Try the Citizens Advice Bureau they may be able to help. Another option is dig out your home insurance policy 'cause some of them will give you legal advice. What ever path you choose good luck.

Thanks for all the replies, tezza I tried protemp they said I will have to wait till next Wednesday to register; they have had a lot of drivers sign with them recently. I have found out the guy I worked for hasn’t been paying my Tax and NI to the Inland Revenue , I rang his accountant who thought I was self employed , I was paye and he has been deducting tax and ni out my wages. There is a lot of van courier work about at the moment so I might be forced to do that until the New Year, this would solve 2 problems, firstly I would have an income and secondly you get to use the van in your spare time, which would help seeing I don’t have a car till my insurance pays up. I made a claim for dole money for the first time in my life, they said because I left my job I wasn’t entitled to it, I made a claim on my mortgage protection policy they wont pay out because they didn’t think I had a valid reason to quit my job. I’ve been paying tax since 1980 and I’ve been paying mortgage insurance for over10 years, but I cant get a penny when I need them. :imp:

Paul

The accountant thought you were self employed? But you were having Tax & Ni deducted?

Fill out a small claims court form, acting as if it’s a self employed (firm) versus another firm.

Win the case, then take on the mortgage protection insurance lot. Add in your injury, and they should reconsider.

that mortgage peyment protection that you have been paying for 10years i’d give them a call back and tell them to cancel it as you have got protection else where. :wink: