roping and sheeting

Here`s a couple of my attempts at the fine art

Nice job on them 2 Chap, not much fun with them plastic things BFS give ya either!!!

A handfull of sheets to cover this lot, lost around a stone I’d say!

fly sheet:
Nice job on them 2 Chap, not much fun with them plastic things BFS give ya either!!!

Thanks fly sheet i only take pics of the good loads :laughing:
i know what you mean about the sheets (sorry tarps) a little bit of investment on there tarps would make the job so much better
Are you still on for them?

nianiamh:

fly sheet:

i know what you mean about the sheets (sorry tarps) a little bit of investment on there tarps would make the job so much better

why did you have to sheet that load of steel beams ■■?

fly sheet:

Another fully sheeted load by myself a full hit of insulation board from down Chicago way to Winnipeg

Come on, thats not roping and sheeting is it ? looks more like a tailor made suit with a pair af braces :laughing:

gonzothejaffa1:

Trust me its not my choice to sheet em :laughing: they wont let you go unless its sheeted

gonzothejaffa1:

nianiamh:

fly sheet:

Err, he didn’t, I did :laughing:

As Nianiamh says, because BFS tell you to, to be honest I was going to run without them, but another driver turned up as I was about to leave & mentioned the fact, that’s normally followed by them grassing to the firm, so it got tarped. Just for info the tarps they use are the same material as a tilt & because you have to tarp loads of GALVANISED :unamused: steel they end up ripped to shreds no matter how much padding you use, with the end result being patches everywhere making them evil things that are almost solid lumps.

Wait until it gets cold Neal, then try & roll one up, you’ll invent new swear words, or maybe leave them on the ground & get new ones from the tarp store while you’re in the wash bay on your own one Saturday :wink: :laughing:

newmercman:

gonzothejaffa1:

nianiamh:

fly sheet:

Err, he didn’t, I did :laughing:

As Nianiamh says, because BFS tell you to, to be honest I was going to run without them, but another driver turned up as I was about to leave & mentioned the fact, that’s normally followed by them grassing to the firm, so it got tarped. Just for info the tarps they use are the same material as a tilt & because you have to tarp loads of GALVANISED :unamused: steel they end up ripped to shreds no matter how much padding you use, with the end result being patches everywhere making them evil things that are almost solid lumps.

Wait until it gets cold Neal, then try & roll one up, you’ll invent new swear words, or maybe leave them on the ground & get new ones from the tarp store while you’re in the wash bay on your own one Saturday :wink: :laughing:

oops my bad

an thats nuts :unamused:

newmercman:

Been to see a fortune teller Mark she says she see`s a van is the future for me :smiley: she only told me this after asking who i worked for at the moment :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

THE DRIVERS THAT MOAN ABOUT SHEETING ARE THE ONES THAT CANT DO IT PROPERLY !

I remember my first attempt at sheeting up, It was in bowaters at northfleet in the early 60s. being new when I had loaded {loose toilet rolls} I pulled outside. first mistake. it was raining and a wind was blowing up the river,every time I rolled the sheet out it buggered off down the yard.after about 4 attemots I sat down in a puddle and said sod it.There was a londoner in there loading, a guy called Mick Crook, If he is still alive he will be in his 70s now.he reversed me back into the shed and helped me to sheet up properly. he showed me how to double dolly, and put a scotch cross on the back,after that I took pride in my sheetin up. always having my dolly,s on a level, and my flysheet drum tight. and no you never rope over a flysheet.Modern equipment as taken the art out of driving.They were hard days but they were good days in the 60s/70s.

hiya,
My old fella gave me an insight into the noble art of R and S using two of mothers best sheets and her clothes line, the kitchen table became the loaded motor the clothes line fastened to the banister to get the idea of dolly tying, we both got a thick ear but i got the idea, although a bit different when the weather was wet and windy, yes the old school was best, i would feel sorry for someone being thrown in at the deep end though.
thanks harry long retired.

I,m past retirenent age but still working, but arthritis stops me from R+S these daysBut I reckon i still could if needs must theres always the loop and pull down with your foot.

hiya,
rocky 7, my involvement these days would be from terra firma shouting instructions to the apprentice up above, doubt if i could get onto an empty trailer these days, but i don’t think i need to prove myself anymore happily chucked it and HGV licence expired and that’s a relief to my old lady.

This is how thick i am the first time I had a curtain sider I didnt realise you could open it from either end, I asked for a pump truck to bring a pallet forward hahaha

hiya,
Rocky 7 you would have done better than me i would’nt have known where to begin, just have to hope the FL man was in a good mood to show me the ropes.

harry_gill:
hiya,
Rocky 7 you would have done better than me i would’nt have known where to begin, just have to hope the FL man was in a good mood to show me the ropes.

Same as me Harry,never used one in my life,not around when I was on general,didn’t need 'em on tankers or box trailers either:lol:

Better than the old R and S though. :wink:

nianiamh:

fly sheet:

Not there anymore Fella been back in the UK 2 years last week. Was supposed to go back but got a good shafting & a wallet emptying session but thats a long story. I ponced a set of what they call steel tarps off the guy in the tarp shed it meant I carried 6 tarps with the smoke tarp but could cover every eventuallity.
I longed for some cotton sheets & real ropes but you just gotta get on with it in the Narf American way have’nt you? They are’nt gonna change for us lot are they!!!

10 10

nianiamh:

newmercman:

Been to see a fortune teller Mark she says she see`s a van is the future for me :smiley: she only told me this after asking who i worked for at the moment :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

I knew it wouldn’t be long :laughing: Just in time to miss out on a winter too, now that’s good timing :wink: