Robert Wisemans

My dads worked at the Wolverhampton depot on the Artics for nearly 8 years now, got his own regualr run, 4 big tesco shops, peice of ■■■■, he starts at 2 in the morning but is home for 11/12 mid-day, i also work there too :smiley:

Great company to work for but its ■■■■ a christmas at people buy double the amount of milk and cream, so you have to come back tot he depot for a reload or they ring you up and ask you to head to a dairy (usually droitiwich or manchester) and pick up a trunk trailer

James

I’ve applied for a job with Robert Wisemans’ as an LGV C driver. What are they like to work for in general and how lenient are they with regards to previous experience?

The reason I ask is that I took my class 2 back in 2002 but have not really used it much due to mental health issues. I previously was a bus driver andv a taxi driver so driving in general has never been a problem for me, just the health issues.

Any comments would be welcome! :slight_smile:

Welcome MetroRider

From what I know Robert Wiseman take on Newbies so I am guessing they are not too bothered re: experience. Just try not damage the truck on day 1 or you will not be there long.

As I live 6 miles from Robert Wiseman in Bridgwater I try to keep my ear to the ground but have not heard of any Class 2 vacancies. I guess you came up lucky.

Dean

Hi Dean,

Thanks for the welcome!

The vacancies are on Robert Wiseman’s website but the’re in Amesbury, Wiltshire so probably too far away from you. Worth keeping an eye out on website though as these jobs were not advertised in the job centre or in the press.

Hope you quite fit as it is normally involves moving cages but be careful with them

Hi metrorider,

Given that you passed your Cat “C” so long ago, you probably won’t have too many probelms with the 2 year “thing” that a lot of companies insist upon.

You’ve done some Cat “C” driving, so you could s t r e t c h a couple of jobs a little bit to get your foot in the door, especially if one of the firms you drove for no longer exists. :wink:

:bulb: The only difference between Wiseman’s and a bus or taxi company is that on Wiseman’s you probably have to help the passengers to get off your vehicle. :grimacing:

We had another member apply for a job there and when he didn’t get it he went bat crap crazy, very entertaining it was too. Any chance you will be doing the same if you are unlucky as I might need to contact Rob K for some extra popcorn if so? :wink: :stuck_out_tongue:

Hope you get it and from previous posts on here they do take on newbies so experience shouldn’t be an issue.

I won’t be flipping anytime soon hopefully, well not untill the pills wear off! :open_mouth:

Thanks for the input so far…

i too have aplied for this depot so will wait and see what happens

Got a call from Robert Wisemans today and was told that I’d been put through to the next stage. Great I thought. However, I’m on holiday next week when interviews/assessments are taking place. No chance of getting there, even though the closing date was 1st August.

Not meant to be I think even though been told my application will be held on file for any future vacancies. I applied before and was also turned down because I did not have a digi card.

Ah well. :neutral_face:

is that right that the interviews are next week cos i only received my application form yesterday and posted today

If you are refering to the Amesbury depot vacancies then it seems they are next Thursday yes. I did think it odd as the closing date was 1st August but then they could of had alot of applicants.

Good Luck!

Coffeeholic:
We had another member apply for a job there and when he didn’t get it he went bat crap crazy, very entertaining it was too. Any chance you will be doing the same if you are unlucky as I might need to contact Rob K for some extra popcorn if so? :wink: :stuck_out_tongue:

This thread.

I wonder if he’s still refusing to buy Wisemans milk :smiley:

metrorider:
If you are refering to the Amesbury depot vacancies then it seems they are next Thursday yes. I did think it odd as the closing date was 1st August but then they could of had alot of applicants.

Good Luck!

yeah it is amesbury i applied for lol northampton is a bit far for me lol hope my application arrives tommorrow then lol

I drive for them out of Amesbury. They took me on as a noob in Feb (passed cat C in December) As a noob, they were excellent at watching I keep legal with my hours for the 1st few weeks when everything was taking me longer than it should.

I did a couple of weeks with P&H but quit when I got offered Wisemans. The work is a lot easier than P&H. The cages aren’t too unwieldy, the trucks are much better (most are <3yr old Scannia P series) and you get regular run(s).

I do 4x 12hr shifts ( most do 5x10 hr) so I’m relief for two others on their rest days. Both trucks I get to use are '10 platers.

The only downside (& it’s a BIG downside for many) is the hours. I Start at 3:00am but have to get up at 1:30 as it’s a 30 mile commute for me each way. On a Saturday, I rarely get home before 5pm.

They seems well organised, seem to look after their drivers (though most that have been there a while moan much of the time - can’t be that bad though, as they’re still there!!!) but apart from my couple of weeks at P&H I’ve nowt to compare them to.

Nez

Nezza:
I drive for them out of Amesbury. They took me on as a noob in Feb (passed cat C in December) As a noob, they were excellent at watching I keep legal with my hours for the 1st few weeks when everything was taking me longer than it should.

I did a couple of weeks with P&H but quit when I got offered Wisemans. The work is a lot easier than P&H. The cages aren’t too unwieldy, the trucks are much better (most are <3yr old Scannia P series) and you get regular run(s).

I do 4x 12hr shifts ( most do 5x10 hr) so I’m relief for two others on their rest days. Both trucks I get to use are '10 platers.

The only downside (& it’s a BIG downside for many) is the hours. I Start at 3:00am but have to get up at 1:30 as it’s a 30 mile commute for me each way. On a Saturday, I rarely get home before 5pm.

They seems well organised, seem to look after their drivers (though most that have been there a while moan much of the time - can’t be that bad though, as they’re still there!!!) but apart from my couple of weeks at P&H I’ve nowt to compare them to.

Nez

I see what you mean about the hours being a big problem for some. It makes a long shift adding in commuting time too.

What is the basic hourly rate at Amesbury?

Cheers

£8.15 based on a 39hr wk, so anything over is overtime at x1.25. Sats are x1.5, Sun x2 (even if it’s your normal work day) I work Mon, Tue, Fri & Sat.

My Mon & Tues runs on ave take 11hrs (including time at yard) but Fri & Sat ave 13hrs as the delivery area is further. Saturday is longest day as there’s more cages to drop -hence the later return on Mondays, I Start at 3:30am and normally home around 3:30 pm)

IMO It’s good experience for a noob, some of the drops are in tight locations, the turning circle on the Scanias is crap, so you get good practice at manoeuvring. As your doing the same drops each time it allows you to practice until you get good at it!

The only downside from an experience front is that the Scania boxes are all opticruise (essentially autos) and the few Volvos &12t DAFs they have are all straight 6 boxes, so you don’t get any experience on range changers or splitters or even block changing.

Good luck, Nez

cbarnes:
is that right that the interviews are next week cos i only received my application form yesterday and posted today

*Update

I got a call from HR today saying that they are also doing interviews on Tuesday 2nd August. I’m in for that day now so you may be asked to come on that day too!

Cheers

will just have to wait and see if they ring me lol

Good luck to both of you :wink: