Newly Qualified Cat C Work advice

Hello all

I was a security guard at a distribution centre, one of the decent sort! but got convinced by many drivers to go for HGV (Class 2 so far).

Just started out last week driving 26 tonners for a well known discount alcohol supplying chain, i’ll not shout the name but they are bright red trucks!

Anyway I’m getting on fine, driving is going well and I’m enjoying it so far, except some of the roads around Wales are pretty tight with some scenic but hairy, twisty hilly routes. It’s physically demanding but I like that as I’ve been sat behind a desk annoying drivers for the last 4 years going to lard.

So to my polite request for advice. I’m based in the South West, working for reasonable money a mon-fri job as a newb, more than I was earning before. Fell on my feet to be honest as I walked straight into a job, but after making about a dozen applications a fortnight ago, I’m being flooded with interest and potential offers of work. Do I stick with what I’ve got for a while or should I be looking around at the best possible wage I can get? Obviously I’d like more money but what is the done thing? Stick out an alright job so I’ve got the experience or bounce around where the money is?

Also any experiences of HOVIS? The money is a little higher but I’ve no idea of the shifts or working conditions, will try a search but seeing as I’m already posting I’d thought I’d ask.

Many Thanks

Chris

I’ve done work for Allied Bakeries which is Kingsmill and I hated every minute of it. Its all rush rush rush because places want the bread before they open etc. You will be making up the orders for the smaller stores on route. Plus the early starts are even more stupid than where I am now!

Sounds like you have landed on your feet. I’d stick with what you’re doing. In my opinion, if you get every weekend off, get paid enough to have a little bit of spending money and are happy in your job, I’d stay.

One question!

As Radar says; Do you you fancy starting work at 4am? :open_mouth:

I’ve heard that bread delivery is terrible mate… :cry:

Evil8Beezle:
One question!

4am? Pah, try 1am!

Radar19:

Evil8Beezle:
One question!

4am? Pah, try 1am!

That’s a night shift mate! (I bet that’s not in the advert! :laughing:)
The contract my agency has is a 4am start, and I wouldn’t even consider that for a second!!!
P&H at 5:30 was too early for me! I start where I am at 7am… :smiley:

Earliest start time is 4am, don’t fancy anything earlier!

Cheers all, i’ll soldier through for now and just see how it goes. Woke up in agony after the first shift but my body is adjusting to the graft and it should get easier over the coming weeks.

Training wheels are off on Monday…