Road Tax

Howya lads?
Newbie here from ireland. I’ve just received my road tax renewal form, from the council. I drive an 8x4 tipper/grab and the road tax for the year comes to a whopping 3198euro. :open_mouth: I’m just wondering if it’s as expensive over in England as it is here. I’m a one man show and feel like we’re just being constantly told to bend over and smile, be it by the government or by the law. I’ve been a trucker for the past 16yrs and an owner driver for the past 9yrs and due to the lack of work at the moment, i’m seriously considering leaving the industry altogether. I mean, tell me of another occupation where you’re forever looking over your shoulder, wondering if the police/vosa are going to pull you over and screw you. We must have the most persecuted of proffesions. I feel that we’re treated like criminals. Anyway, just felt like having a good moan. Take care lads. :smiling_imp:

busyboy:
Howya lads?
Newbie here from ireland. I’ve just received my road tax renewal form, from the council. I drive an 8x4 tipper/grab and the road tax for the year comes to a whopping 3198euro.

how much :exclamation: :open_mouth: :open_mouth: 3,198 euros for a years tax :exclamation: :exclamation: :exclamation: :exclamation: :exclamation: :exclamation: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: bloody hell the highways agency could pave the M25 in gold if we payed that for a years road tax :exclamation: :laughing: :laughing:

It doesn’t leave me with much for my yorkies and mars bars. :cry:

busyboy:
tell me of another occupation where you’re forever looking over your shoulder, wondering if the police/vosa are going to pull you over and screw you. We must have the most persecuted of proffesions. I feel that we’re treated like criminals. Anyway, just felt like having a good moan. Take care lads. :smiling_imp:

I’ve never felt like that. Perhaps you should try not running bent, overloaded or driving a shed - any combination of which seems to be the norm over there.

I’ll bet that it’s the EU after a return from the the money that til now has seemingly paid for Ireland’s lovely new roads - but is now required to pave other, er, EU countries.

Welcome to the unwitting reality and (non) membership rights of the EU’s invasive beaurocracy.

Swap you Gordon Brown for a leprechaun pencil?

Swap you Gordon Brown for a leprechaun pencil?

How about we just give him?

Conor, just for the record, I don’t drive bent or drive a shed. We’re not all cowboy operators over here. fair dues, there are some dodgy characters flouting the law whenever they go to England, but the very same can be said for a number of English/N.I. trucks that tear up and down the highways and byways of ireland with blatant disregard for speed limits etc.

register it in the south.
run it over here.
no tax at all. :wink:

Maybe i should take all my boxes of yorkies out of the cab and have it reweighed. Would probably reduce it by 1k. I am registered in the south Limey, so are you saying that if i head over to the UK i won’t have to pay any road tax at all, at all■■? Wahey! :smiley: Happy days :smiley: . Will i need insurance?

busyboy:
Maybe i should take all my boxes of yorkies out of the cab and have it reweighed. Would probably reduce it by 1k. I am registered in the south Limey, so are you saying that if i head over to the UK i won’t have to pay any road tax at all, at all■■? Wahey! :smiley: Happy days :smiley: . Will i need insurance?

that’s it mate, but you will need a bit of insurance. every other [zb]er is up to no good, so why not join them. :laughing:

how’s the lisburn treaty vote going? what do you reckon?

if they vote yes. the tax and insurance will be fortunes through brussels. we could all be [zb]ed.

I think the lisbon treaty will get pushed through because its what Brian Cowen and his cronies want. We voted against it the first time round and that should have been the end of it, but Cowen wasn’t the least bit happy , so he spat out his dummy and well… here we are again. Personally i don’t think its a good thing because down the road we’re going to have less say in Europe and we’ll end up with the Eu dictating our tax rates and we’ll eventually end up with just one big police state. I’m falling asleep writing this drivel. What’s the work situation like over there now. I used to work around London, Leeds and Bradford (from Leeds). May go back yet if things don’t pick up over here soon.

busyboy:
‘…we’ll end up with the EU dictating our tax rates and … one big police state…’

And President Bliar undemocratically grinning at you when his fizzog gets put on your money.

Maybe the place would have been better off sticking with the previous ‘Rule from Rome’ arrangement?

busyboy:
I think the lisbon treaty will get pushed through because its what Brian Cowen and his cronies want. We voted against it the first time round and that should have been the end of it, but Cowen wasn’t the least bit happy , so he spat out his dummy and well… here we are again. Personally i don’t think its a good thing because down the road we’re going to have less say in Europe and we’ll end up with the Eu dictating our tax rates and we’ll eventually end up with just one big police state. I’m falling asleep writing this drivel. What’s the work situation like over there now. I used to work around London, Leeds and Bradford (from Leeds). May go back yet if things don’t pick up over here soon.

we are very busy mate. we are subbing so much out, it’s mad.