Road Pricing

I would like to ask everybody who has not signed the online petition against road pricing to think about doing so.

The Government say they will reduce Road Tax/Petrol duty, if road pricing comes in, does anybody believe that.

You will have to pay about £200 to have a black box installed (they can kiss my arse).

They will obviously know where you are, where you’ve been, and the times you travel anywhere, your speed!!!(automatic fines?).

The freight industry OUR industry will have to find some way of clawing any costs back, lower wages, more cheaper immigrant workers.

And it is obviously going to put up the price of food, clothing, etc in the shops.

And this is not political I would object to this whoever was in power.

Heard on the radio recently that a govt minister who saw 1,000,000 (yes 1 million) signatures responded that “they don’t matter” :unamused:

Just think, they WILL force you to pay the £200 to fit the box cos they will make it part of the MOT. No box…no pass certificate…unable to get road tax…invalid insurance = we’re screwed :cry:

Could always emigrate, seems that more than just a few are taking that option… :open_mouth:

Only another 4 years to go in this beloved isle then we will be joining the thronging hoardes. :frowning: :frowning:

There is a similar thread in Bully’s but here is possibly more visible.

The link to sign the petition is

petitions.pm.gov.uk/traveltax/

Semtex:
Heard on the radio recently that a govt minister who saw 1,000,000 (yes 1 million) signatures responded that “they don’t matter” :unamused:

don’t worry, the gov’t are going to send everyone who signs an email explaining their plans

so that will be alright then :wink: :unamused: :unamused: :unamused:

THE INSIDER

Im for it actually, If it makes my job as a truck driver easier with less congestion on the roads it cant be all that bad can it?.

jammymutt:
Im for it actually, If it makes my job as a truck driver easier with less congestion on the roads it cant be all that bad can it?.

That’s why I didn’t sign it. There have been countless posts on here about charging foreigners to use the roads, this should make that happen, and suddenly folk aren’t so keen. :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :wink:

anyone heard that advert for the tax disc and the DVLA computer?

That is why this road charging wont work, because the government is incompetent, god knows how much they spent on that DVLA computer, yet there are more cars than ever who dont have a tax disc. :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :wink:

I have signed, but I do feel a pay for use is a good way to go, as long the heavy taxes via road tax and fuel are looked into. In Poland I am taxed when I fill up at the pump only, apart from a few toll roads. It makes the price on fuel quite high for the income of a Pole, but the idea the more you use the more you pay does seem fair.

My time is living in Denmark showed another appoach by really taxing the private motorist to the hilt, 180% tax on the price of a car and so on, but if the govenment trys that appoach here then I guess they do not get back in, but in DK trucks are seen as important to keep moving, not the private motorist.

We all know that the price we all pay to have a car does not really go on road buliding or transport, so I do not feel I do want to help Tony anymore with his daft wars, enough is enough until they do get a plan together to help everyone and not use the green issuse as a money making plan.

Andy

Coffeeholic:
There have been countless posts on here about charging foreigners to use the roads, this should make that happen, and suddenly folk aren’t so keen. :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :wink:

If they make it tax neutral by cutting road tax and fuel duty it will be good, but I doubt the government will let a scheme to raise taxes slip by without dipping their sticky fingers in :wink:

I signed it because I don’t believe they will make substantial cuts elsewhere in taxation to give you some ‘spending money’ for the road pricing. I just think that you’ll end up paying for more.

And as payback TFL have fined me for cutting across the end of a bus lane just before it ends and becomes a filter lane.

Its just another labour stealth tax, only they can’t even be bothered to hide it anymore :imp: , They have no solutions except tax tax and more tax. We already pay through the nose for the worst Health service in Europe and a Civil Servant to Private tax payer ratio that is absolutely ridiculous( Over a 40% rise since labour entered power).

Rant over back to pay as you go!!

Wonderful we have a cart blanche system for taxing per mile, these rates are location and time dependent. Great get the 4 x 4 driver living in Chelsea with London undoubtedly going to be the highest rate in the UK, but also get the guy living in a high rise flat just around the corner trying to earn a living for his family. It is about as unfair as any taxation system can be, and if you believe that the same government that screwed up the CSA/Immigration tracking etc. will get it right think again!! :imp: WOrse still they are going to tender for it as a PFI venture, so a private company will be incontrol making a total mockery of the Data Protection and Civil Liberties Act.

Coffee, you would be right to think that this is an opportunity to level the field between us and our Eastern European friends. But this system will be satelite tracked not toll booths and check points. Vlad will not have a £200 transmitter in his cab so they will impose a fixed fee for using the roads , will it be as much as a UK Driver doing the same mileage with his tracker unit. DEFINATELY NOT!! :angry:

Until an alternative (And Affordable, my wife pays £25 a day to travel to work in London often standing up) means of Public transport is provided the Car remains the only viable method of transport, to tax people out of their freedom to travel is wrong no matter how you look at it. Poll Tax Riots all over Again, watch this space!! :imp:

In all honesty i don’t think it will happen . People won’t be able to afford to get to work , road transport bills will soar and in perfect line with that so will the cost of living .
A stupid idea dreamed up by some overzealous envoiromentalist group that the transport secetary is obviously a big fan of .
I would forget about it .

Time after time they try to prove that public transport is the way to go :unamused: Yeah right ! Recently i entered my home addy and my work addy into some website i stumbled across that works out your journey time and fuel bills and fares etc .
I live 8 miles from work and i start at 7pm , my missus gets home at 6.30pm and i leave the house at 6’45pm .To use public transport i would have to have my 6 year old home alone for an hour so i could catch the bus that would get me into town in time , the journey time for the bus is 1 hour and 8 minutes .(8 miles) Fares were unavailable .
If i finish work at 5am which is more often than not the norm then the journey home by bus will take 2 hours . Already rule out cycling because of the time my missus gets in from work and the time i start .
The quickest and most efficient option was my own vehicle ,admittedly it is a Landrover defender 90 diesel (shorter than any other eurobox, the 90 is chassis inches ) The site worked out my fuel bill for each journey which is £1.50 , £ 3 return .Not surprising as my evil 4x4 returns about 32mpg .
In fact it’s cheaper to run than any other vehicle i have owned , i carry out all the repairs myself .Then they try to convince me public transport is cleaner and cheaper , pffffftttt !

Coffeeholic:

jammymutt:

That’s why I didn’t sign it. There have been countless posts on here about charging foreigners to use the roads, this should make that happen, and suddenly folk aren’t so keen. :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :wink:

And I won’t be signing either.

After taking four hours to get from Pompey to South Mimms (where I ran out of time) Friday evening - I’m all for it!

I’d say 80% of cars on the ‘car park’ had one occupant inside. :frowning:

Maybe this idea might make people think about alternative methods of transport.

I’d like to see the scheme take into account busy stretches of the road network at peak times, and set the prices accordingly.

Road use tax and tolls are another expense forced on manufacturing. Those companies that haven’t yet will pack up and move to eastern europe,india ,china etc. There is a straw that breaks the camels back.

Over here recently Virginia wanted to give up it’s Federal funding for Interstate 81
and turn it into a toll road to make some extra dosh. The manufacturing lobby suggested they would take their factories and jobs to Kentucky ,which caused the state to have a re-think… :smiley:

paul@midway:
I live 8 miles from work and i start at 7pm , my missus gets home at 6.30pm and i leave the house at 6’45pm .To use public transport i would have to have my 6 year old home alone for an hour so i could catch the bus that would get me into town in time , the journey time for the bus is 1 hour and 8 minutes .(8 miles) Fares were unavailable .

a bus from swadlincote to burton costs £2 each way (did it when the car was in for mot) and it really is like a cattle truck that was pre war :open_mouth: . if i start work at 4am the only way i can get there is car or push bike and when its blowing a gale and [zb] down with rain. id be ringing in sick. ok at that time in the morning it will be cheap to get to work but when i coming home during the school kicking out time id be stung heavily just for returning from work :smiling_imp:

its alright jammy saying there will be less traffic on the road so he can drive his truck. but youve got to factor in the fact you also have to get to work and back somehow

jon

In the local paper the council and local bus company have come up with a splendid idea.

They have changed the bus timetable so that, instead of a bus every 20 minutes they will now run at 30 minute intervals and will continue to run through the night :open_mouth:

I am not real sure how this will help global warming and the road pricing bills as the buses will still be empty

I have to start work anywhere between 04:30 & 05:30 and although the buses in this part of Cornwall are very good they don’t start earlier enough for me to be able to catch one to get to work for 04:30. I use 3 A roads to get to work, fine that time of the morning but I finish between 1 & 2 o’clock and in the summer down here that is classed as peak times so I am against this road pricing/tax as there is no way they will cut road tax or fuel tax it means less money in the treasurys coffers. It is just another way to get more money off of a soft target (the motorist) and I can also see the government hitting the haulage industry even harder like they allways seem to do

They can hit the haulage industry has hard as they like , the cost of living will be through the roof and it will push more people onto the poverty line .
All for the sake of another penny pinching tax .
Once people see the price of food and other consumable items steadily rise they will shout a bit louder .
Fuel prices won’t decrease by much , the fuel companies will need to retain high prices to foot the bill for delivering the fuel .
Doing pathetic regional studies isn’t going to bring to light these problems .

If you notice, the schemes they’re talking about now are LOCAL. YOu will NOT get a tax reduction from a local scheme because it’s impossible. I mean, how many of you get a tax reduction because you drove in central London? None.

If and when the Manchester scheme gets going that will be the same. This will not be a revenue neutral scheme. I’m not sure about the claims for cutting congestion either. Are offices suddenly going to stop openning 9-5 ? I doubt that. It’s just more money. Local councillors are looking forward to this because generally their powers are so limited. This will give them something to play with - probably your wallet.