Road atlas

Just starting out which is the best road atlas to get.

in the UK ther’s a truckers atlas with bridge heights in it, think by the AA but not sure, very handy better than a satnav for bridges anyway

WBIS i think it might be a Collins Atlas for truck drivers, with low bridges and speed camera alerts !

many years ago, i bought a Phillips Navigator road atlas, there are some small villages that are not in the cheaper atlas’s, but are in the Navigator

well worth the money :sunglasses:

as a back up, i also have a truckers atlas with all the bridge heights on it

map.jpgthere you go

welshboyinspain:
0there you go

Get it from one of those “The Works” cheap book shops; I bought it for about £3

Any … just don’t be a pillock and buy a sat nav.

I use a Phillps Navigator which has bridge heights,weight limits etc etc It has great detail down to farms which is very handy for me

shuttlespanker:
many years ago, i bought a Phillips Navigator road atlas, there are some small villages that are not in the cheaper atlas’s, but are in the Navigator

well worth the money :sunglasses:

as a back up, i also have a truckers atlas with all the bridge heights on it

I agree with you about the Phillips, it even had Corby and Peterlee in it. mine was very old :slight_smile:

Whatever anyone thinks of a Sat Nav, unless you have looked at a proper laid out map on the kitchen table, you will be blindly following a dot, although they are very reliable, if it suddenly stops working you are suddenly lost.

ilike2learn.com/ilike2learn/europe.html

Because I got buggered up with the new fangled states of Yugoslavia I only scored 75%

Wheel Nut:
Whatever anyone thinks of a Sat Nav, unless you have looked at a proper laid out map on the kitchen table

I keep my map on the bunk or the dashboard, you must have a big cab to have the kitchen table with you :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Phillips Truckers Navigator is best by far. Bridge heights, weight and width limits, speed camera alerts etc etc.Bargain for 20quid.

And if you go to London I would recommend This http://www.waterstones.com/waterstonesweb/products/freddie+talberg/london+lorry+guide/7369610/

Wheel Nut:
Europe Map Quiz

Because I got buggered up with the new fangled states of Yugoslavia I only scored 75%

86%, stans and jans buggered me up

Coffeeholic:

Wheel Nut:
Europe Map Quiz

I’m a right swot got 97%, Pick one of the wrong Baltic states and former Yugoslavia states,
Well I was a cartographer before I started driving trucks. :laughing:

Which is the smallest thats useful?

I’ve got Phillips Navigator, Truckers Britain but being agency its absolutely huge and far too big to carry round, possibly swapping 2/3 trucks a day.
Something A4 size, no matter how thick, would be ideal.

the big un:
I use a Phillps Navigator which has bridge heights,weight limits etc etc It has great detail down to farms which is very handy for me

i’ve got thr same 1,got it off amazon.cracking atlas.has truck stops in it as well as service areas,loads of info in it

muckles:

Coffeeholic:

Wheel Nut:
Europe Map Quiz

I’m a right swot got 97%, Pick one of the wrong Baltic states and former Yugoslavia states,
Well I was a cartographer before I started driving trucks. :laughing:

Is that Norfolk speak for a barrow boy?

Well done Muckles. I was upset I didn’t get so many, I got 88% on my 2nd attempt

Don’t forget, if you know your drops the day before and have access to the internet, look up adress on google earth and street view.
I find street view brilliant, you can see the entire street from driving level and spot any obstacles/landmarks etc etc.

dont know if your running local ,or nationwide but phillips street atlas takes some beating,for various countys,housing estate names,industrial estates,farms ect,and can be cheap on amazon market place,but make sure you get the spiral bound ones,but as rambo said street view is good if you know where your going next day see how tight junctions are,check for weight restriction signs ,parking restrictions ect,hope this helps,never rely on just mr tom tom,all the best if your just starting out. :smiley:

I just got “Philip’s Navigator Trucker’s Britain 2011” this morning. Its the new edition.

its already saved my ar@e this afternoon with a low bridge.

Its on amazon for £12.50. Its big and heavy but the detail is great. Spot on and yes I do have a sat sh$t aswell.

Jim