Rip off or what

Sorry mod if this is in the wrong forum !!!

Was watching tv last night when this advert came on for World of Leather, so the advert said theres a sale on Thursday, one day only…so they start showing some sofas…the first one said you could save £700…the second one said save £1000, the third one said save £900.
Now on 3 sofas alone, they have reduced the price by £2600, that is one hell of a loss to any company…so if at the end of the day they lose approx 100 times this amount, thats £260.000…two hundred and sixty grand…who can seriously afford to lose this amount of cash in one day…NO ONE…so we are being conned, into thinking the actual reductions are real !!!
I would love to know.

1. What is the average profit on each sofa (for real)
  2. Why are shops allowed to advertise in this way, and fool the public
    I certainly wouldnt do business with them after the last fiasco, where they took deposits, and even the full amount off of customers, and never delivered the goods, and people lost a lot of money, because their holding company went bust.

Lets put it this way, they’re not making a loss. Its all cheap tat. I got one of these £600 leather sofas. 18 months on , the leather on the seats is stretched to hell and the colour has rubbed off big style. No chance of it having any colour at all after 15-20 years like the big old leather sofas of old.

My mate used to drive for Carpets International. He once asked a bloke at a delivery how he could afford to have what seemed to be a permanent 50% off sale. The bloke replied that even with that, he was still doubling his money and would break even at a 75% off sale.

I agree. It’s just cheap rubbish.
If the company buys a product for £100.00. then advertises it for sale for £1000.00. Then that is their price.
There is no law that puts a limit on markup.
With a 50% discount they would be making a few quid.
If the country wasn’t full of gullible people then they would give an honest price in the first place.

Don’t forget that for each day of the sale there have been months with people buying them at the full price - by law they have to have been on sale at that price for (I think) at least 1 month prior to the sale. The profit they make will more than cover any loss made in the sale.

I dare you to go into one of these places and tell them you want to buy a sofa that is not reduced.

What they do is offer the sofas at full price on paper only for a month (to comply with the law), then actually start selling them in the one day (all year round) sale. You think your getting a bargain, when your just a victim of marketing. BUT I sspect you already knew this.

A friend from Hull owned a big warehouse, that he converted into a furniture showroom and sold 3 piece suites to gullible cod heads.

Billy Whizz was buying them in at about 40 quid each and then retailing them at 4 / 500 quid plus.

This time next year Rodders :smiley:

Wheel Nut:
A friend from Hull owned a big warehouse, that he converted into a furniture showroom and sold 3 piece suites to gullible cod heads.

Billy Whizz was buying them in at about 40 quid each and then retailing them at 4 / 500 quid plus.

This time next year Rodders :smiley:

This applies across the board, even to the so-called up-market retailers. All the expensive furniture I have ever delivered was made in either China or Romania … and the retail prices are high enough to give one a nose bleed.

Okay they use solid wood, which I know from having humped enough of it up plenty of staircases, but I wonder how much each piece costs to knock up in these developing countries, where people earn peanuts and work like pit ponies?