Rigid rear steer accident

today when i was leaving st helens heading towards wigan i was sat at a set of lights and about 4 cars in front i could see a rigid at the set of lights at front. i was on the bend in road and he was straight.

as i he set off i noticed something was not right, he was trying to mount the kerb, so i thought…

no…infact his rear steer was turning asif he was turning right swinging the back end to the n/s, even though he had his front wheels straight, up the kerb the back end went and hit barrier and light(not knocking over) and it got worse as he was driving, really trying to crab the vehicle until he pulled up.

i have never seen this happen before and did not know they could fail like that

They aren’t "meant to fail like that " They should in theory lock out in the straight ahead position ,but I have seen that issue a few times…It won’t always put on a warning …example I had one that had no warning ,but on the roadtest after going round a bend t the speed where it operates ,I found the steering wheel was sitting 45 degrees out from where it was earlier when on a straight road ,the back end then gave a kick as it decided to straighten up…Only experience helped me diagnoise it ,luckily first time …Rear steer is a total nightmare when it goes wrong …Personally I hate it

Well u do now, life just keeps on giving

In my simple world rear steer on a rigid would be linked by rods…now i just know you’re going to tell me that it’s all now bloody electrical impulses to sensors and motors placed in that soft gentle clean protected environment of the underbelly of a lorry.

Stop world i wish to alight :neutral_face:

:blush: :blush: :wink: :wink: …The perfect world would go back to good old mechanical items,that may not have been perfect but was easily fixable …sigh

Juddian:
In my simple world rear steer on a rigid would be linked by rods…now i just know you’re going to tell me that it’s all now bloody electrical impulses to sensors and motors placed in that soft gentle clean protected environment of the underbelly of a lorry.

Stop world i wish to alight :neutral_face:

Certainly hard to see how it’s an improvement on a drag link the length of the vehicle.

A drag link provides a fixed rate of turn, that’s its downside.

That reminds me of a trailer i picked up to go and load at Fords in thurrock, so after i arrived and reported to the office, the guys just said, backer her on bay 4 , so unbeknown to me, i had picked up a rear steer trailer, a first i might add…so after trying for about half an hour, they closed the shutters and said back it on then give us a shout…for the life of me i hadnt a clue, so phoned the office…they didnt know either…but after an hour of twiddling my thumbs walked down to Truckworld, which was a 5 minute walk away, and asked a few drivers, most didnt know…but one driver saved my skin… "just turn your side lights on "…and sure enough…it locked the rear steer so it acted as a normal trailer, and was an aid for tight turns in Italy for which it was designed, and spent most of its life…just goes to show…theres a first time for everything.