what was wrong

foreign bloke in front of me couldnt reverse back[ he could reverse back i think ] but every time he tried to go back the brakes on the trailer locked on, hed go forward 30 ft or so and have another go but same thing, the brakes on the trailer i assume were locking on but why :question: :question: :question: . truck[merc] seemed fine going forward. ta

reversing sensors on the trailer applying the brakes maybe

Id say the same reversing sensors,some on my firm have em

■■■■■■■ annoying

Did he have an underun bar on the back of the trailer that moved?

I seem to recall that you can get a trailer,( Not sure who makes them.) that when you reverse and it moves,it’s linked somehow to the trailer brakes,and if so,then there could have been too much play in it,and while reversing,it locked the brakes on.

Ken.

Quinny:
Did he have an underun bar on the back of the trailer that moved?

I seem to recall that you can get a trailer,( Not sure who makes them.) that when you reverse and it moves,it’s linked somehow to the trailer brakes,and if so,then there could have been too much play in it,and while reversing,it locked the brakes on.

Ken.

not sure which is why i asked, couldnt figure out why he could go forward no problem but you could see the trailer lift right up on the axles when he tried to reverse.
dont know why he left, whether hed rang someone and they told him to go back to base or just try going round block, but he took the 20 odd pallets with him he was meant to drop off according to forkie.
just wondered as ive never seen or had it happen to me so just wondered if it was a silly thing that took secs to fix.

:smiley: It probably is one of those reversing sensor things. Met a bloke in Morrisons months ago with the same problem Ady.
Soon solved it for him by telling him to pull the electric line so the trailer reverse lights didn’t come on and make the system live :wink:

They’re brilliant when they work and can save all sorts of embarrassing/expensive mishaps but a bit of a pain when they start playing up. If it was one of these the simple answer is to take the electrical suzies out during the reversing move and pop them back in when done. The link shows the bar being couple to a sounder although I have worked with trailers where the bar worked the brakes and stopped you if you touched something.

hope-tecdev.com/safe-t-bar-hgv.html

When i used to run my own car repair workshop, i’ve come accross it on cars several times. A brake shoe lining comes unbonded from the shoe. Going forwards it just sits there, but try to reverse and it tries to go round and jams the drum.

Could have been the same thing.