Right turn clide?

i have recently noticed how many more roundabouts now have 2 right turn lanes. fine if they are well signed but more often they are not. many times i have gone up the off slip in the right hand lane only to discover when i get to the top i could of stayed left ! but by now its too late i have 20 cars all coming round with me up the near side and its all going into one lane when i get off ! oh dear. shal i go round again or try to fit in that 3ft gap? well time is money so here goes… any body else been in this situation or just me? :blush:

Like this…

:slight_smile:

I’ve seen the same and agree it’s not a nice feeling.

It’s nearly as bad with a straight forward one exit left, one exit right no straight on. Both lanes go right left lane’s for left but there’s no signs apart from one about 50yds from the roundabout.

archie79:
‘…any body else been in this situation or just me…?’

I know the feeling - and whilst it is dodgy to generalise on r/a’s (because they’re different, etc) I half recall that the 2009 Highway Code has subtly changed to sort-of endorse behaviour with r/a lane ‘discipline’, etc.

I suppose that if your nearside carriageway aint clear or is gagging full of F1 wannabees, then maybe slow/brake/creep/indicate intent to come off left. If a muppet then whacks your nearside & you are doing 3 mph then they’ll surely cop the fault? Sure it aint the coolest of manoeuvres - but neither is going round twice.

There are a few very ambiguous ones as well - the A43 northbound into Brackley has the right hand lane marked as ‘A43 north’, but the left lane is marked ‘All routes’ with a single arrow pointing straight on (couldn’t figure out how to get street-view into this post) - a couple of times I’ve had close shaves where the person in the right lane has tried to go straight on & nearly got an artic impaled in their passenger side.

think that’s the one I was thinking of, every bloody time I go there I get caught out - still haven’t learnt :laughing: :blush:

tallyman:

• the A43 northbound into Brackley has the right hand lane marked as ‘A43 north’, but the left lane is marked ‘All routes’ with a single arrow pointing straight on

Coming out of Brackley to turn south aint a pleasure either - not least because it’s a beautiful downhill, swooping jolly for all tailgaters going north - but my edging out routine spoils their fun.

Anyone else out there a Harry Enfield ‘Old Git’ too?

there’s one down M20 snodland turn off, if your heading to join the motorway the road markings are different to the signs so no one knows what to do for the best, I agree with above go about 3 mph with the indicators on, I do wonder though if the insurance companys would take the bad markings into account when there is a bump

ebabes:
I do wonder though if the insurance companys would take the bad markings into account when there is a bump

Not a chance they will, I had a knob hit me on a roundabout whilst I was stationary, he drove across chevrons to get into a lane which opened up just after the lights, I photographed the positions of the two of us (me completely in the right place, him performing an illegal manouvere) & still they wanted knock for knock, which coincidentally would’ve ruined my umblemished history & increased my premiums :unamused: If you have a whack in a lorry, it’s going to be partly/all your fault no matter what happened :imp:

tallyman:
There are a few very ambiguous ones as well - the A43 northbound into Brackley has the right hand lane marked as ‘A43 north’, but the left lane is marked ‘All routes’ with a single arrow pointing straight on (couldn’t figure out how to get street-view into this post) - a couple of times I’ve had close shaves where the person in the right lane has tried to go straight on & nearly got an artic impaled in their passenger side.

Satellite view showing arrows + signs :slight_smile:

i already had the feeling like that was going to be the answer you’ve just confirmed it!!!

just goes to show you can have all these licences and be the safest person on the road and all it takes is one (put it nice) ‘willy’ and your instantly branded, I do sometimes wonder if I made a right carrier choice in this day and age

nice to no its not just me then :smiley: . wot with dodgy lane markings trees in the middle of roundabouts, narrow lanes and suicidle cars we dont stand much of a chance do we lol. suppose it keeps us on our toes :unamused: .

The one that gets me at the minute is coming off the M1 North at J21 for Leicester. There are signs saying use left lane for A563, then a lane markings sign that shows the right lane is the A5460 only and the left is for A563/A5460, and when you look at the lane markings on road and roundabout they reiterate the point, and in fact the centre lane on the roundabout starts right where you would be when if following the correct line from the left lane of the slip. This still doesn’t stop the car muppets coming down the outside of you and cutting you up when they realise they are in the wrong lane… ■■■■■!

They’ve got the same BS going on at the M18/M180 junction. You come from the south to go east on the M180 and there are 3 lanes at the top of the slip. Left is marked for services, middle and right are marked for M180. This is all well and good, but as you get half way round the roundabout, the middle lane (which has now become the left lane) just ends, forcing you to barge into the right hand lane. :unamused:

The stupid thing is that there are actually 2 lanes coming off the roundabout onto the M180, but because they made the divider 18 miles wide on the M18(s) slip, they don’t have enough room to squeeze the 2 lanes in coming off the r/bout. The obvious and easy solution is to remove the 18 mile wide chevrons on the M18(s) slip, replace it with a double white line restricting lane changing and then they could easily continue the 2 lanes all the way round the r/bout. But that’s too simple innit. :unamused:

maps.google.co.uk/maps?f=q&sourc … 1&t=k&z=18