Turning Right at a roundabout

What is this new fashion of using the left lane when you are turning right at a roundabout all about ?

I used to see foreign lorries doing this ( presumed they were just a little lost ), but now loads of people seem to do it.

Now I find that when I use the correct lane, and am just about to start moving over for my exit I have to watch out I don’t side swipe the person that was to my left when I joined the roundabout.

Yes it is frustrating. But that’s what marks you out as a pro driver, you know the rules of the road you’re on.

But you also know where lesser mere mortal drivers can get confused and avoid an accident.

It’s usually because the left lane moves faster, so ‘sneaky’ people use the left lane, other people see them and think it’s normal so they follow like sheep

Doesn’t usually bother me as it just makes the queue in the right lane smaller, but inevitably you get the fannies that fly past you on the left, overtaking you on the roundabout. This is ok on bigger roundabouts and if you can see them but it can cause problems/accidents on smaller roundabouts where you dont expect people in the left lane to be going right round the roundabout!

If it’s a tight or tight-ish roundabout, I’ll take both lanes, not because I necessarily need it, but to stop some Charlie from putting themselves where they shouldn’t be. I really think some of these idiots think that we can make our motors narrower so we don’t add an extra few seconds to their journey.

The roundabout in uddingston where the old Glasgow zoo was is really bad for this. I’ve seen a fair few cars pinned against the railings when they haven’t quite managed to pull off their stunt. Had a lot of near misses there myself. Makes me smile when I see a car with its side ripped open. Alot of impatient drivers just seem to make up their own rules as they go along now. It’s turning into a free for all on the roads these days. Do wat they like and ■■■■ everyone else.

The problem is compounded by lots of dual lane roundabouts now being marked as use both lanes for right turn… There are 4 within a mile of my yard that have been repainted like this, and it’s stupid.

is that the one just off the M74?
the one where the A1 joins the A720 bypass in Edinburgh is bad for it too, just after Queen Margaret University - but its big enough, can still cause problems tho!

Yes. J3A on the M74. It’s even worse just now with the major roadworks at j5. Everyone comes off at uddingston to miss the works so even more idiots go right in the left lane to skip the queue.

109LWB:
The problem is compounded by lots of dual lane roundabouts now being marked as use both lanes for right turn… There are 4 within a mile of my yard that have been repainted like this, and it’s stupid.

If the roundabout is big enough, I don’t see the problem really. Just keep in your lane.

I only find it annoying if it’s people using a non-right turn lane to try & skip a queue.

Had a guy use some yellowy flashy lights on one today. Mind they didn’t work all that well as it was hit and miss where he was going :open_mouth:

Couple that with no bloody indicator for turning right and these bloody stupid white lens indicators. Back in the day I had a Sweeney style Ford Granada. The indicator bulbs used to get so hot it made the lens fade. Got warned no end by the police about it. Now it’s legal

A34/A420 is a good example. Come off Southbound A34 it’s two lanes around the roundabout and two lanes off for Swindon up the dc way. I’ve seen loads of lorries do it yet I don’t get around that area very often. When I do however I use the left lane as it actually lets more traffic off the A34 slip road onto the roundabout before the lights change. Wouldn’t be ok if the lanes were marked otherwise but they aren’t so I say crack on.
I’m sure Boredwivdrivin will be along soon to correct our errant ways. :unamused:

109LWB:

This. If you don’t know the area then its pot luck if you get the right lane as sometimes both lanes can go right while anothers are left turn or straight on only. Doesn’t help that a lot of the time they don’t tell you what lane to be in till you’re right on top it. I’ve had plenty of roundabouts where I’ve been in the furthest lane to turn right only to find I could of stayed in the left lane. Doesn’t help that idiots like to try and slice my nose off all the time. Having to watch my rear so I don’t clip the curb, where I’m going and the idiot on the left of me trying to scoot round gets old real fast.

I’ve just had the same problem on a round out in London. I was in the right lane turning right and there was a truck beside me doing the Same so I let him go first then I set off. The next thing I know another truck is beside me blowing his horn as if I’ve cut him up he pushed me into the middle of the grass roundabout where I stopped to let him past. He got past me then stopped in front of me and started shouting abuse. Because I’m a new driver and also it’s my third time in London. The traffic was busy and both his and my truck was blocking everyone I just waved and apologised. I know I’m new to this but I’m pretty sure I was in the right. He’s lucky we where in London and I have just started my new job and don’t want to lose it.

Eddi:
I’ve just had the same problem on a round out in London. I was in the right lane turning right and there was a truck beside me doing the Same so I let him go first then I set off. The next thing I know another truck is beside me blowing his horn as if I’ve cut him up he pushed me into the middle of the grass roundabout where I stopped to let him past. He got past me then stopped in front of me and started shouting abuse. Because I’m a new driver and also it’s my third time in London. The traffic was busy and both his and my truck was blocking everyone I just waved and apologised. I know I’m new to this but I’m pretty sure I was in the right. He’s lucky we where in London and I have just started my new job and don’t want to lose it.

Don’t worry about it, thats just usual London crap. If you drive in London then you need a London “head”. Basiclly, zb everyone else. That is the only way to get around that hell hole.

I don’t have a problem when the road is marked with 2 right turn lanes ( sometimes with dual carriageways ), more an issue when there is no markings… therefore should be highway code : left lane for left or straight on and right lane for right.

And yes, I don’t have a problem with people half in 2 lanes if the roundabout is a little tight, same at junctions.

I always use the left lane to turn right where it’s marked up to do so ,also M5 M50 strensham left lane there too .

rob22888:

109LWB:

If the roundabout is big enough, I don’t see the problem really. Just keep in your lane.

The problem is if you’re following the highway code and everyone else isn’t then it’s a recipe for a collision sooner or later.The result being that even those who ‘would’ be doing it right then have to follow the stupid idea of left lane/s to go right to avoid all the aggro.While if you stay in the correct lane of many marked lane roundabouts you’ll have to keep going around the roundabout.Because there’s no way of exiting it without crossing one or more lanes and the chance of a collision. :unamused:

Punchy Dan:
I always use the left lane to turn right where it’s marked up to do so ,also M5 M50 strensham left lane there too .

If you’re using the left lane to go right what is the right lane there for and what happens to the traffic using it to turn right. :unamused:

Carryfast:

Punchy Dan:

If you’re using the left lane to go right what is the right lane there for and what happens to the traffic using it to turn right. :unamused:

Read again CF here’s a clue ,WHERE ITS MARKED UP TO DO SO ,also the right lane traffic turns right in this situation too .