Indicating on roundabouts in France

I have noticed that Poids Lourds drivers approach the roundabout indicating that they are turning off right,their intention is not to come off on right turn but to continue straight on,this is done for safety,it lets the drivers that are waiting know where you are going,it does not work well in the UK,has anything new,it is a confusion for car drivers,and they can not cope and panic.

You mean left, they indicate left when going straight on and it gets on my ■■■■. Only just started happening. I wonder what genius came up with that stupid idea.

switchlogic:
You mean left, they indicate left when going straight on and it gets on my ■■■■. Only just started happening. I wonder what genius came up with that stupid idea.

I bet its something mentioned in their equivalent to our drivers cpc, on a safed type course :unamused:

I’ve noticed it over here too :frowning:

What was wrong with the OLD UK system ?
Using first exit - indicate left
Using 2nd exit - don’t indicate until passing 1st exit, then indicate left.
Using any exit after 2nd - indicate right until passing the exit before the one you want, then indicate left.
Simple, straightforward and clear.
I still do it that way :open_mouth:

I have asked a couple of my French driver pals on this,and this is the way they are taught,do they have a highway code like us :question:.
On dual cariageway roundabouts if turning right indicate right easy, but if going strait ahead or left,they keep in the right lane and indicate left until the next exit is yours then indicate right keeping in the right lane all the way, even if you are going right around to the left, this rule is for trucks only as it lets the faster vehicles pass.
Also i notice that a lot of the east euro drivers on uk trucks as well as the euro trucks do the same here;causing chaos at times.
Plus if i use our rules in France eg,if turning left using the left lane as its after12 o,clock, i get a lot of abuse from the local truck drivers and cars. :confused:

This has been the recommended form for years, at least it was on the FCOS course that I took.
If you are leaving at the first exit, indicate right.
If you aren’t, indicate left ‘to inform others that you are continueing’.
After you pass the turn before yours, indicate right.

Other interpretations are available. :wink: :unamused:

Well,blow me down with a feather.I never knew or heard of that rule. :blush: Reading klunk/■■■■■■■ & Spardo’s explanations,it does make sense.A first for the French,perhaps? :laughing: I will bear that in mind in the (atm) v.unlikely event that I will desire to drive a lorry over the water again.BTW I know the thread title refers to France specifically,anyone know if it applies anywhere else?

The French are very good with their indicators, they even indicate back in after overtaking you, unlike some of the muppets here who leave their indicator flashing for 17 miles

klunk/■■■■■■■■
Plus if i use our rules in France eg,if turning left using the left lane as its after12 o,clock, i get a lot of abuse from the local truck drivers and cars. :confused:

I guess it depends on which region you drive in . . . in the Marseille area you’ll be lucky to see an indicator at any time! Here in the south west I use the indicators as I would back in the UK and don’t get any problems, however I drive a locally registered truck so that may have something to do with it.

My general attitude is not to pay too much attention to any indication from other vehicles on roundabouts as the French are appalling in this respect - just treat them all as nitwits and take extra care on junctions/roundabouts. There are some excellent truck drivers here, however I think the level of driving instruction is very poor and not consistent in the advice it offers, so until that improves not much will change.

~ Craig

Craig 111:

klunk/■■■■■■■■

I guess it depends on which region you drive in . . . in the Marseille area you’ll be lucky to see an indicator at any time! Here in the south west I use the indicators as I would back in the UK and don’t get any problems, however I drive a locally registered truck so that may have something to do with it.

My general attitude is not to pay too much attention to any indication from other vehicles on roundabouts as the French are appalling in this respect - just treat them all as nitwits and take extra care on junctions/roundabouts. There are some excellent truck drivers here, however I think the level of driving instruction is very poor and not consistent in the advice it offers, so until that improves not much will change.

~ Craig

Re: Indicating on roundabouts in France.

Postby Wheel Nut » Sat Oct 01, 2011 7:45 pm
The French are very good with their indicators, they even indicate back in after overtaking you, unlike some of the muppets here who leave their indicator flashing for 17 miles

We speak as we find I suppose :stuck_out_tongue:

Wheel Nut:
Re: Indicating on roundabouts in France.

Postby Wheel Nut » Sat Oct 01, 2011 7:45 pm

I wouldn’t disagree with you as far as their using indicators elsewhere, it’s simply on roundabouts where confusion reigns. My mrs is constantly commenting on the bad driving through roundabouts (choice of lanes as well as use of those mysterious orange blinking lights) and she’s French! I’ve given up trying to understand what goes through their heads while they’re behind the wheel - give them all a wide berth and enjoy the rest of what the country has to offer :sunglasses:

~ Craig

Spardo is correct,if turning off at the 9 oclock exit,indicate right,if coming off at the 12 0clock or straight on,indicate right then a short indicate left as you arrive at the 12 o`clock exit.Only in France i have seen this.

No offence Toby but do you know your right from your left?!

Switch,for 12 oclock exit,straight on,flasher on right,then a quick left flash when hit the 12 oclock exit,no offence taken,for the 9 o`clock a quick left flash when exit there.

Did you mean if you are behind the lorry that is doing all the flashing,or are you the one waiting at the other end of the roundabout watching to see where he/she wants to go?

Not got on to Portugal yet?? :laughing: :laughing:

We will :laughing: :wink:

toby1234abc:
Switch,for 12 oclock exit,straight on,flasher on right,then a quick left flash when hit the 12 oclock exit,no offence taken,for the 9 o`clock a quick left flash when exit there.

Your talking about the UK then. In France they indicate left to go straight on, since they drive on the other side of the road. 9am would be left, midday straight on, 3pm right. If they indicated right on approach to the roundabout in France they’d be taking the first exit.

Wheel Nut:

I did say other interpretations were available. :wink: :laughing:

If you are waiting to enter, a right flash from one coming round that he is leaving at your road gives you a head start before the next vehicle comes round.

A left flash from him tells you that you can calm down and wait for the next one.

Doesn’t stop you mistrusting, mainly car drivers, and driving defensively still. Just a little helping hand. I have always used the system and was pleased to have it confirmed by the instructor.

One thing that hasn’t been mentioned, especially on smaller roundabouts, is the discouragement it gives to car drivers from trying to squeeze between your trailer and the roundabout. Again, you still have to watch the cheeky buggers, but it helps. :wink: :laughing:

Love it,been here gettin’ on for ten years.Done the FCOS ■■■■■ twice,was once took through a town that had a least five small roundabouts which no artic could get over without either going on the kurb or the pavement.The french ■■■■■■ who sent us that way said we had to go that way(three drivers and the instuctor in the cab) second roundabout I went over the roundabout ,third one I burst out laughing cause there was no way to get round without going over it.The french ■■■■■■ said if I carried on laughing he would fail me because I was no taking the course seriously enough,no mention of indicators at all.

The French pretty much are the worst in Europe at designing roundabouts. It’s one thing that the UK does best, making roundabouts!

switchlogic:
The French pretty much are the worst in Europe at designing roundabouts. It’s one thing that the UK does best, making roundabouts!

I think Dutch and French roundabouts are probably too small, where in the UK they are too large for lorries and therefore too fast