Indicating on roundabouts in France

Switch,you are right,i was confused with my left and rights,i got it wrong. :blush:

toby1234abc:
Switch,you are right,i was confused with my left and rights,i got it wrong. :blush:

No worries, easily done!

The Tobester forgot which side of the channel he was,poor old duffer!

I would love to watch all this on the magic r/bout in hemmel hempstead. :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:
regards dave.

Saw the outcome of the french way yesterday in Laval (France).
A car going around the inside tried to beat a truck who was indicating left to go right around the roundabout,
he did,nt make it and ended up on its side in front of the truck. ouch :confused:
klunk

klunk/■■■■■■■■
A car going around the inside tried to beat a truck who was indicating left to go right around the roundabout,
he did,nt make it and ended up on its side in front of the truck. ouch :confused:
klunk

Yes, but that was because he ignored the indicator, not because it was used - correctly. :wink: :laughing:

Spardo:

klunk/■■■■■■■■
klunk

Yes, but that was because he ignored the indicator, not because it was used - correctly. :wink: :laughing:

Yes but that’s the problem with using left indicator to go straight on. It gives car drivers an excuse to shoot up inside as they think your heading ahead. Left indicator means left turn, not straight on

switchlogic:

Spardo:

klunk/■■■■■■■■
klunk

Yes but that’s the problem with using left indicator to go straight on. It gives car drivers an excuse to shoot up inside as they think your heading ahead. Left indicator means left turn, not straight on

I think you are well named Switchlogic, because that’s exactly what you have done - switched logic. :open_mouth:
If someone overtakes you on your left because you are signalling left, how does that work then? :confused: :laughing:

Because in France it’s become acceptable to indicate left when your not turning left, therefore idiot car drivers have the excuse to zoom up the inside assuming your going straight on. If left meant I’m turning left then this excuse wouldn’t exist. Indicating left to go straight on is a stupid and confusing manoeuvre that’s not needed. Left means left, right means right and no indicators means straight on, in an ideal world that is.

See? Perfectly logical.

Wheel Nut:

switchlogic:
The French pretty much are the worst in Europe at designing roundabouts. It’s one thing that the UK does best, making roundabouts!

I think Dutch and French roundabouts are probably too small, where in the UK they are too large for lorries and therefore too fast

Indeed yes you’ve a point there but in Europe the cambers are all over the place and the entry and exit roads are all sorts of weird angles with a seemingly random assortment of curbs!

switchlogic:
Because in France it’s become acceptable to indicate left when your not turning left, therefore idiot car drivers have the excuse to zoom up the inside assuming your going straight on. If left meant I’m turning left then this excuse wouldn’t exist. Indicating left to go straight on is a stupid and confusing manoeuvre that’s not needed. Left means left, right means right and no indicators means straight on, in an ideal world that is.

See? Perfectly logical.

Only logical at crossroads. There is no straight on at roundabouts. You follow left round the island until you reach your exit and then exit right. Simple. Has worked for me for 47 years without whacking anybody. :wink: :laughing:

As I said before though, defensive driving always to allow for the idiots that you speak of, whether in France or England, they exist everywhere.

Spardo:
There is no straight on at roundabouts. You follow left round the island until you reach your exit and then exit right.

Now your just being pedantic! But technically as you come onto the roundabout you turn right first, should I be indicating right, then left, then right again to come off at the 12 o’clock exit? (there being no straight on of course). Of course not, I’m just being pedantic :wink: :wink:

Also the other habit in France is people turning left from the right lane. Another daft thing. What with this indicating left and people going all the way round the roundabout in the outside land half the time you have no idea what anybody’s doing! Didn’t the accident mentioned involve a truck going all the way round the outside of the roundabout. There’s a mentality of ‘I’ve got my indicator on, I can go anywhere I want, despite being in totally the wrong lane!’

This is not just a moan at the French, they do many things better than us but in terms of roundabouts and driving on them France is a disaster. What works for one man wouldn’t always work if everybody did it. I do agree with your comments about defensive driving, I myself make sure the door is firmly closed on small roundabouts to stop people squeezing into gaps that don’t exist.

Indicating ■■? In France ■■? Good god man never indicate, never give the buggers a clue :imp:

Leave an inch and there’ll be a Peugeot in it :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

switchlogic:
Also the other habit in France is people turning left from the right lane. Another daft thing. What with this indicating left and people going all the way round the roundabout in the outside land half the time you have no idea what anybody’s doing! Didn’t the accident mentioned involve a truck going all the way round the outside of the roundabout. There’s a mentality of ‘I’ve got my indicator on, I can go anywhere I want, despite being in totally the wrong lane!’

The fundamental problem is that the French DO NOT think like us (‘us’ being anyone not French). Our car was nearly run off the road on a well know roundabout here in Agen last week by a young girl who was in the right lane but intended to turn off left (nine o’clock, if you want). After narrowly avoided shunting ma femme off the road she pulled over to the side and let loose a tirade of Gallic insults. When the mrs asked why she so deserved this ze leetle French bimbette replied - “I was on the right, I have priority. YOU HAVE TO GIVE WAY!!!” Bonkers . . .

As switch says when driving a truck it’s best to shut the door on them at every opportunity - much easier than trying to comprehend what goes through their French minds :confused:

~ Craig

I’ve gotten into the habit in france of indicating left to go straight on just so that the cars don’t try to pass me on the inside, which they regularly do, especially the several roundabouts together in dreux :imp:
i agree with switchlogic that it seems wrong but it does give “monsieur battered peugeot” a scare if he thinks i’m going left and that i’ll crush him if he gets too near :laughing:

Craig 111:

switchlogic:

The fundamental problem is that the French DO NOT think like us (‘us’ being anyone not French). Our car was nearly run off the road on a well know roundabout here in Agen last week by a young girl who was in the right lane but intended to turn off left (nine o’clock, if you want). After narrowly avoided shunting ma femme off the road she pulled over to the side and let loose a tirade of Gallic insults. When the mrs asked why she so deserved this ze leetle French bimbette replied - “I was on the right, I have priority. YOU HAVE TO GIVE WAY!!!” Bonkers . . .

As switch says when driving a truck it’s best to shut the door on them at every opportunity - much easier than trying to comprehend what goes through their French minds :confused:

~ Craig

Ah Monsieur, you mean Priorité a droite

This sign means you have to give way to the right, when that ends the sign is a yellow diamond with a white border.

It’s actally the other way round, the diamond with the bar through (pictured above) meaning end of priorité a droite. More commonly you see the red triangle with the black X used to indicate priorité, but either way it’s a daft system and explains in part why there are so many accidents on junctions.
The link here shows the signs:

clgturenne.fr/archiv/0508/tr … /index.htm

The problem with the French girl in the roundabout I mentioned above was that she entered the roundabout on the same entrance as us, she just thought that because she was on our right she automatically had right of way . . . !

Sorry Craig but you’re wrong and Malc is right.

The yellow diamond means you have priority, the diamond with the black line cancels that priority and thus gives priority to the right. The system itself, though flawed, is simple. The trouble is that so many drivers ignore it.

You were obviously correct on the roundabout though. There is no priority to the right in any form on roundabouts, in fact this is clearly stated as you approach each one.

Spardo:

The yellow diamond means you have priority, the diamond with the black line cancels that priority and thus gives priority to the right. The system itself, though flawed, is simple. The trouble is that so many drivers ignore it.

You were obviously correct on the roundabout though. There is no priority to the right in any form on roundabouts, in fact this is clearly stated as you approach each one.
[/quote]

Welll,apart from the Arc de Triomphe-- but I suppose that’s unique anyway. :slight_smile:

Spardo:

Yep, sorry chaps, had indeed mis-read Malc’s post (serve me right for trying to think after the end of a week working nights). Thanks for putting that right David