Reversing in rdc bays

Hi everyone,

i am new 2 class1 having passing my test last week.

After any helpful tips about certain rdcs when reversing into ?or anything to help me get my reversing better

Just got a job with freshlinc evesham so any help would be great

Cheers

Sorry if this sounds unhelpful mate, but the fact is, that the only person who can make your “reversing better” is YOU.

Congratulations on getting the job - and through your day to day experience of doing the job you should soon become very good at reversing to the point where it becomes second nature.

The best advice at all times for all drivers - regardless of their experience - is simple: If in DOUBT, get OUT and LOOK.

All the best.

Get the whole thing set up as straight as possible before starting to reverse into the gap
Think - where can I put my back wheels so it makes it easier?
As the previous poster said -
Get
Out
And
Look

Watching closely as other more experienced drivers do it can be a big help

l200daddy:
After any helpful tips about certain rdcs when reversing into ?or anything to help me get my reversing better

Use reverse gear, it makes it easier than using one of the forward ones available. :wink:

Don’t rush it to look good and don’t be too proud to admit defeat and shunt forward and have another go…also ignore anyone watching :slight_smile:

Run your unit upto the bay you want to get on and take the top edge of the bay line, the near side one, the one you are looking at when reversing as a marker running the trailer about 5/10 feet passed and turning your unit about 40 degrees just before you stop for the reverse. DONT RUSH ANYTHING mate, keep it slow with little changes on the steering wheel because you can correct yourself if you have put to much lock on or not enough. Everyone has a different method that suits them, you will too. Remember this WE HAVE ALL had to learn at some point and it doesnt always go right the first time, Ive seen guys that have been on the road for 30 year and still get it wrong the odd time coz they are tired etc I know I still do and Ive been driving artics five years. SO DONT BE A *UNT AND TAKE A SHUNT! Thats what I do, two or three if need be!

Some days/night things just go spot on and it goes in straight away, other times it doesnt. Thats life. When I first passed my class one I was always concious of other drivers looking at me which puts you under more pressure. Dont be concerned with smart arses that think they are the cats nuts, theyve cocked up a reverse at some point like every person thats driven one and if they say they havent they are lying.

If all the above is still messing with your head watch a shunter or like the other posts have said watch other drivers, or watch a reverse on utube or the net.

One final bit of info for you. Some ■■■ holes take great pleasure in the misfourtune of other peoples mistakes and like to see drivers ■■■■ up. Now this isnt ALL but some shunters at RDC try and make it hardwork for you placing trailers or units in positions where it can be tricky even for experienced drivers. If you are in ANY DOUBT ask them to move the trailer or unit obstructing you. If they dont and you clip it its on their toes too, so most will. Also most drivers are helpful and if you say Ive just passed can you watch me onto the bay, the pressures off you and your getting some assistance until you get farmilar with it. Month or two you’ll be swingin them trailers in for fun mate!

Hope all goes well for you.

Hi a good tip is to try not to use the clutch - it’ll move quite nice on its own and it’ll be slow and steady - this is very usefull when reversing down slopes as the engine will naturally brake the speed for you - making the whole thing smooth and professional
cheers
Steve

Echo comments with getting it as straight as possible before you go into the gap, use as much space opposite the bay as you can…

Also, if you’re sat at a RDC, watch other drivers, the ones who been doing it years. Look at their positioning etc.

philmots:
Echo comments with getting it as straight as possible before you go into the gap, use as much space opposite the bay as you can…

Also, if you’re sat at a RDC, watch other drivers, the ones who been doing it years. Look at their positioning etc.

If they are regulars that’ll be flat on their backs asleep lol
cheers
Steve

LOL

Don’t forget to open your rear doors before you back onto the bay. Not that I have ever forgot to do that of course… :unamused:

It doesn’t matter how tight a loading bay is because even the tightest bay is far more preferable than having to wrestle with curtains in a howling gale and pouring rain.

Your 100 per cent right there Warren T, I used to drive double deckers for palletforce ( Fradley Park) and in winter if the loaders were being arsy and in a rush they’d ask you to do your curtains up outside the hangers. What a pain in the ■■■, only once. I was there for 30 min trying to do them up! RDC and back door tips stick to those jobs, done steel concrete flat bed, interesting work but no more money on the table. :confused:

Congrats on the job :smiley:
On my Test I failed twice due to reversing, once for flattening the middle cone and next time for going back to far and knocking the barrier down :blush: :blush:
With my first job coming up, I’m a bit apprehensive about reversing but as they say “practice makes perfect”, I can only get better :stuck_out_tongue:

dinosteveus1:
On my Test I failed twice due to reversing, once for flattening the middle cone and next time for going back to far and knocking the barrier down :blush: :blush:
With my first job coming up, I’m a bit apprehensive about reversing but as they say “practice makes perfect”, I can only get better :stuck_out_tongue:

Dont worry, after 5/6 weeks of it, it’ll become second nature… :wink:
Just be careful when you go from an artic to a rigid though… :blush:

DAF95XF:

dinosteveus1:

Dont worry, after 5/6 weeks of it, it’ll become second nature… :wink:
Just be careful when you go from an artic to a rigid though… :blush:

5/6 weeks, that’s 30 odd days :unamused: and goodness knows how many deliveries and how many of those involve reversing :unamused: :open_mouth:
As long as there’s fuel in the wagon and time, I’ll get the job done :stuck_out_tongue: :wink:

Can’t wait.

dinosteveus1:
5/6 weeks, that’s 30 odd days :unamused: and goodness knows how many deliveries and how many of those involve reversing :unamused: :open_mouth:
As long as there’s fuel in the wagon and time, I’ll get the job done :stuck_out_tongue: :wink:

Can’t wait.[/quote

Thats what I was told when I first started, it certainly gets easier and you’ll be reversing without thinking about it… :wink:

It took me a lot longer than 6 weeks to be confident! More like 6 months. :grimacing:

philmots:
It took me a lot longer than 6 weeks to be confident! More like 6 months. :grimacing:

I had to learn sharpish as I was working nights delivering to car and truck garages/dealers in the dead of night often with no yard lighting :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

dinosteveus1:

yea i hit the b cone on my first test aswell lol i thought that was what i was best at aswelll oh welll nerves and guess i wasnt lol

SI_A:

dinosteveus1:

yea i hit the b cone on my first test aswell lol i thought that was what i was best at aswelll oh welll nerves and guess i wasnt lol

That fail cost me a great deal of money, so did the next and the one after that. :blush: 3 fails before I’d even left the test centre :unamused: The drive itself was spot on, only a couple of minors. Nerves got the better of me. :unamused: