Reversing. ..Please help me!

Passed my test a week ago (C+E)and of course, you’re only taught to reverse around a couple of cones. How different is it in the real world !! Was lucky until yesterday as I only had to be side tipped. Well yesterday I had two drops which required reversing onto bays. First drop I got to nice and early and was told to stick it on a bay. 28 bays and no other vehicles, just me, no one watching, no pressure I thought. Christ, could I get the angles right. …nope, did I get it on a bay after about 10 shunts. …nope. The forkie came out and asked if I’d like to be tipped from the side which although was disappointing, it was actually a relief. I explained that I’d only just passed my test and he was very understanding which was nice

Second drop was to a RDC. I pulled in there with about 20 drivers all watching my every move. I looked at the spaces for the bays and started to sweat. I parked over to the side and went in with my paperwork. I explained that my back doors were jammed and that I’d need to be side tipped, this of course was a lie but I couldn’t even consider trying to get onto a very busy, very tight bay with the pressure of everyone watching.

I’m really disappointed that I’m struggling so much. I know practice is the only way. But I just can’t get into my head the angle required, I can’t imagine it. As soon as there is a kink on the trailer and I can’t see one side, I panic, I’d hate to stuff the corner of my trailer into someones wagon.

Even parking in our yard between two yellow lines takes a few shunts to get it square.

Any tips guys and girls ?

practice - seems you might be able to that in your own yard ?

Our yard is really tight, I’d be getting in the way mate.

The only way you get better is practise. Next time instead of throwing in the towel, go ask a driver if he could watch you in. Explain that you are new to this and he should if he’s worth his salt help you out. Take things nice and slow, its not a race. It doesn’t matter if it takes 1 or 100 shunts to get it sorted, the aim is to get it in without damaging anything.

Adam27:

Even on the weekend?

ROG:

Adam27:

Even on the weekend?

Would need to check with my boss but it’s a possibility I suppose. Would be even tighter as everything is parked up.

Adam27:

ROG:

Adam27:

Even on the weekend?

Would need to check with my boss but it’s a possibility I suppose. Would be even tighter as everything is parked up.

No harm in asking and if it is a go then take a friend with you - preferably one who has done it before so they know where to stand to watch and yell STOP

I was the same mate, first couple of weeks just couldn’t get. Now I’m ok its just practice, try not to turn the wheel so much and take it slow it will come.

wally22:
I was the same mate, first couple of weeks just couldn’t get. Now I’m ok its just practice, try not to turn the wheel so much and take it slow it will come.

That’s one of my problems, I’m either turning too much or not enough, then by the time if finished trying to correct it all, I’m in completely the wrong position and have to start again !!

I still turn the wheel a lot - probably too much - but I move at the speed of a slug so I don’t get into too much bother. Quick wheel turns and slow moving tends to do the trick for me at the stage I’m at. The real professionals end up with slow gentle wheel turns and ‘finesse’ the truck into position…it’s a beautiful sight to watch.

As everyone has said, practice is the key. If you don’t actually do the manoeuvring then you’re never going to learn how to get better at it. There are few drivers who will judge, be critical or ridicule you (and those who do aren’t worth worrying about - clearly they have the memory of a goldfish and can’t remember their early weeks/months behind the wheel of an artic). Pretty much everyone you encounter will be willing to help you out, and we all understand how hard it is because we all started out in the same place.

Furthermore, if you ask someone to help then that’ll probably make their day because most of us like the feeling that we’ve been able to help. They’ll be able to share some of their wisdom and will probably give you some tips and pointers.

So go on punk, make someone’s day… :slight_smile:

Don’t worry about them judging and watching you attempting to reverse , they will assume you are experienced, I have found it is only foreign drivers that get out their cabs to assist as a banks man, UK drivers sit there laughing and gesticulating to the yard monkeys and mock the reverser.
It will come with practice, it took me three times to pass my test, and I drove tractors and trailers on a farm as a child.
Blind side reverse is another issue.

a couple of newbies had ‘reversing training’ one saturday morning at our depot…perhaps your assessor/driver trainer would be able to do that?

Adam27:
Even parking in our yard between two yellow lines takes a few shunts to get it square.

ROG:

Adam27:

It seems you’ve got an ideal yard, now all you need is a friendly driver to watch you and give you tips where you’re going wrong. :smiley:

It’s years since I passed my test and had to go out in the big wide world, but I remember struggling with reversing, and still have my moments but these days with years of experience I don’t panic when it starts going a bit ■■■■ eyed, just re-set or correct, but that comes with experience.

The mistakes that new drivers seem to make are:

1. Expecting to reverse like the seasoned old hand parked next to them straight away. (it takes time and practice)
  2. Getting stressed and going to pieces when they can’t and then it gets worse.
  3. Not starting in the right place, (Get your start position right and its far easier. mainly get the back end of the trailer in the right place and then try and get the cab straight or at least in a place where you can see down the side of the trailer.
  4. being afraid of taking shunts.
  5. If they take a shunt not going far enough forward to make it useful, and not making it useful such as to re-position your trailer.
  6. Probably should be number one, not getting out to have a look, if they’re unsure of what happening behind, (if you need to keep getting out don’t worry it’s better than hitting something.)
  7. Worrying about loads of other drivers watching. (we were all newbies at one point, most of us aren’t taking any notice of you, some of us are and might go and offer some advice, some will take the ■■■■, but they’re are [zb])
  8. Snaking the cab from lock to lock, small steering inputs are quicker to correct and easier to control.

I have only completed 25 x C+E shifts myself so I know exactly where you are coming from!

The first place that I delivered to was a RDC in Sheffield which was super quiet and had acres of space, however regardless of this I was absolutely hopeless, couldn’t even get it close and after 20 minutes (or more) of frustration and embarrassment I accepted the offer of help from the onsite shunter, concluding that in order to get anywhere I needed to start at the very beginning and watch someone else demonstrate how it should be done. I am not usually one to give in and it did feel like I was letting myself down by ‘bottling it’ but I was only getting worse under my own steam so swallowed my pride and let him do it for me - Although I was annoyed with myself this proved to be a good decision, I watched and listened to the advise given and it gave me a renewed determination to get to grips with it.

The second shift was a slight improvement, I managed to get it going in the right direction and onto the bay, took about 2 million shunts but it did at least feel like I was progressing in the right direction. Now after completing 25 shifts I still feel like I have a long way to go before I can feel relaxed about it but my reversing is coming on slowly but surely, still mess a few up and I find the slightest thing can put me off, for instance I was asked to reverse onto a bay which had pallets of goods stacked along side it, it was a straight forward reverse with loads of space but it took me ages to get onto the bay as I was distracted by thoughts of hitting the pallets of goods. :unamused:

I also took to the forum to seek help and advice, my posts which you may find useful as they contain many great tips can be viewed via the links below.

A few tips that really helped me along are, slow down, don’t go nuts with the steering wheel, relax and don’t worry about the audience, give yourself plenty of space, try to imagine how it drives out forwards and reverse that procedure and get into a good start position - more helpful tips can be found by following the links to my posts.

Another tip that sounded daft but helped me was buying a cheap articulated toy truck (Morrisons £6) and using that to get a better idea of the angles and positioning.

Love the “My back doors are stuck” excuse and if I was bright enough to think of that I would of used it myself. :laughing: but still might yet :laughing:

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=130741

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=131546

There is nothing worse than driving 4 hours to a RDC, depot or delivery place worrying about what you will find when you get there but stick with it - it will get easy!

Sooooooo glad it’s not just me !!, thanks for all of your help :slight_smile:

toby1234abc:
…I have found it is only foreign drivers that get out their cabs to assist as a banks man.

I have also found that to be true, on most occasions if I get an offer of help it is from a person with a foreign accent - Very Sad! Knowing how much it can help I have determined that I will forever assist anyone that I see struggling!!!

muckles:

Adam27:

ROG:

Adam27:

It seems you’ve got an ideal yard, now all you need is a friendly driver to watch you and give you tips where you’re going wrong. :smiley:

It’s years since I passed my test and had to go out in the big wide world, but I remember struggling with reversing, and still have my moments but these days with years of experience I don’t panic when it starts going a bit ■■■■ eyed, just re-set or correct, but that comes with experience.

1. Expecting to reverse like the seasoned old hand parked next to them straight away. (it takes time and practice)
  3. Not starting in the right place, (Get your start position right and its far easier. mainly get the back end of the trailer in the right place and then try and get the cab straight or at least in a place where you can see down the side of the trailer.
  5. If they take a shunt not going far enough forward to make it useful, and not making it useful such as to re-position your trailer.
  6. Probably should be number one, not getting out to have a look, if they’re unsure of what happening behind, (if you need to keep getting out don’t worry it’s better than hitting something.)
  7. Worrying about loads of other drivers watching. (we were all newbies at one point, most of us aren’t taking any notice of you, some of us are and might go and offer some advice, some will take the ■■■■, but they’re are [zb])
  8. Snaking the cab from lock to lock, small steering inputs are quicker to correct and easier to control.

Sounds like you’ve watched me try and reverse !!

Adam27:

muckles:

Adam27:

ROG:

Adam27:

Sounds like you’ve watched me try and reverse !!

Either that or you’re making the same mistakes most of us made when we started. :smiley: Reversing does get easier, but don’t expect to be a dab hand at it over night. :wink:

Just wondered if it would be worth doing training as a shunter or would it probably cost more than doing some extra reverse training.

Why don’t shunters become LGV drivers? Or do they?

Edit:

Just dawned on me that I don’t know if the process of shunting is same as reversing from the drivers perspective or if shunting is easier if driver is sitting facing towards the trailer or if trailer is hooked up in such a way that makes it go in the same way a rigid would go.

JS8576:
Just wondered if it would be worth doing training as a shunter or would it probably cost more than doing some extra reverse training.

Why don’t shunters become LGV drivers? Or do they?

I think a lot of shunters are ex drivers who either can’t, loss of licence for medical reasons or don’t want to drive trucks on the road.

I know it seems like you’ve never get the hang of reversing, but it does come with practice, but it also will take time, just keep driving and keep learning, whenever you get a chance practice, reverse in at services, have an extra go when you park your truck.