Reversing tips

Hi, first days on class 1, but just need some tips how to reverse onto bay. Usually I did it on my way which is harder and longer, that’s what one driver told me but said that wasn’t that bad. He told me something about positioning but still don’t know exactly on 100% how to do it.
His way, drive in straight line till I’ll see lane next empty bay and then turn 45 degrees, turn right, left. It is easier but I just worry about that I’ll hit something on the left as I can’t see anything on my left mirror and don’t know where back of my trailer is. I’m trying to get in straight line with my bay and trailer, but hadn’t yet any tight place so no idea how it’s gonna work. So, any other tips that I can work out ? Probably on Friday I’ll have to shunt all day on the yard so will have good time to practise, next week probably training on longer trailers with steering axle. Thanks

Circumstances for reversing vary all the time. But one thing that remains constant is the need to get out and check what’s happening. Failure to do so will end badly. Maybe not the first time - but it certainly will at some point.

Another constant is to give yourself as much room as you can (obviously very variable) and try to get as straight as possible at the earliest opportunity. In other words, try to do the steering without obstructions right and left. You’ll be lucky if you get much reversing like this in the real world but the principle stands.

Finally, never rush and never feel pressured. Everyone had to learn and few learned by rushing it.

All the best, Pete :laughing: :laughing:

Thanks Peter for advice, so I’d stay on my way because I think it’s safer for me, at least I’m doing good, not catching anything and gettin in place where I want to I’ll stay on it and will take my time to work out on it :slight_smile:

Try watching some youtube videos on reversing an artic:

youtube.com/watch?v=s-nPTuz3R90

It can take 10 years to become really good, but many new drivers aren’t too shabby after just 2 years practice.

The guys in the videos will often have had 10 years or more of practice, so don’t expect to match their skills just yet.

Some important tips, act like a tortoise and not a hare. As soon as you have realised that you haven’t taken the banana out quick enough, stop and shunt forward a little and when you then reverse again, turn into the banana a little earlier.

Also, if you think that you are within 4 feet of the trailer on your blind side (if there is one parked there), get out and look until you become more experienced and know that you are not going to hit it.

GOAL - Get Out and Look

GajnyH1:
Hi, first days on class 1, but just need some tips how to reverse onto bay. Usually I did it on my way which is harder and longer, that’s what one driver told me but said that wasn’t that bad. He told me something about positioning but still don’t know exactly on 100% how to do it.
His way, drive in straight line till I’ll see lane next empty bay and then turn 45 degrees, turn right, left. It is easier but I just worry about that I’ll hit something on the left as I can’t see anything on my left mirror and don’t know where back of my trailer is. I’m trying to get in straight line with my bay and trailer, but hadn’t yet any tight place so no idea how it’s gonna work. So, any other tips that I can work out ? Probably on Friday I’ll have to shunt all day on the yard so will have good time to practise, next week probably training on longer trailers with steering axle. Thanks

Just keep at it buddy I’m 6 weeks in and I have shown myself up good and proper in that time.

I asked everyone and everybody for advice hoping for that magic secret that would get me the perfect reverse everytime but it doesn’t exist. Some of the advice worked for me some didn’t. But I’ve got it where it needed to be apart from once and I ain’t hit anything yet so in my mind I’m doing ok.

I was rubbish when I started and I still am but I’m less rubbish than I was and I’ll be less rubbish next week.

My penance worth is don’t let anyone rush you or force you into something you don’t feel capable of yet, go around the block and hope someone has moved when you get back or ask for another bay if you have to.

Im still driving into services and driving straight back out again cos I can only see one spot in between 2 chromed up tractors that I don’t fancy denting lol good luck and keep plugging away you will get there…

Always try reversing in on your good side even if it means doing a 180 in a 1 way.
Position is key. What i do is I approach the bay im backing on to a few feet away from trailers… then when im about 2 bays past the one i want i do i hard left then bring it back over to the right so the back end of my trailer is lined up with the bay at an angle… then just aim for the lines or the bump cushion.
If you put too much bend on (your trailer going too far over the the right) full lock to the left pull forward untill straight then pull forward even more adjusting if necessary to get yourself lined up then reverse straight back.
If your say too far over to the right pull to the left then back to the right then left again that should line you up. ( thats when pretty much straight)
Also open your doors before backing up. Some places are too tight to open doors if your in between 2 trailers

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

As said above dont rush or let anyone rush you… they will be the ones laughing when you hit something although a decent driver will get out and help you

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks everyone, I’m getting better with every single day, no stress at all. Today had to reverse on left mirror close to the fence max 1m, did it well and feel much better than driving on rigid especially long ones to tight places :slight_smile: