reversing

I’m still terrible. Any advise? Should the cab always be straight with the trailer before reversing onto a dock with limited space infront or on a near side reverse have the cab and trailer at a banana angle. Should I always be close to the docks as possible or further away, omg so many questions

As a class 2 driver, I watch the Artic drivers reverse, and they generally set themselves up going forward with a bit of the correct angle to start reversing, and turn the trailer in the correct direction. As for distance, I’d guess that the more the better, as you get longer to align and straighten things up. (Or possibly ■■■■ it up! :laughing: )

I’m sure you will get there pal, now I just hope that i’m not crap when i get there! :open_mouth:

As a general rule, most newbies don’t give themselves enough room before they start going backwards. IME always best to give too much room and this gives you the opportunity to get assimilated to going backwards. Also gives more chance of keeping any bend to a minimum.

Above all, persevere, take your time, get out and check. Don’t be intimidated by a machine.

Pete :laughing: :laughing:

The trick to reversing is getting the start position correct. If you get that right most times everything else falls into place. Don’t be afraid to get out and check, as little steering as possible is also a must, It is easier to put a bit more steering on than take it off, take your time and don’t feel rushed, if you need to take a few shunts so what. I can go to really difficult stores and get it on bay first time and then get back to the RDC with empty bays and take a few shunts to get it on if I’m having a bad day. But the biggest things I’ve learnt are get the starting position right, don’t push a bad position and if you have any doubt what so ever get out and look.

pepsifarr:
The trick to reversing is getting the start position correct. If you get that right most times everything else falls into place. Don’t be afraid to get out and check, as little steering as possible is also a must, It is easier to put a bit more steering on than take it off, take your time and don’t feel rushed, if you need to take a few shunts so what. I can go to really difficult stores and get it on bay first time and then get back to the RDC with empty bays and take a few shunts to get it on if I’m having a bad day. But the biggest things I’ve learnt are get the starting position right, don’t push a bad position and if you have any doubt what so ever get out and look.

Pretty spot on, the only thing I’ll add if you take a shunt, don’t ponce about with a few few feet, use the space you have to make it work for you.
Saying that sometimes a couple of feet is all that’s needed to get the cab straight which means the trailer stops moving over.

Keep practicing. Backwards is the way forward.

As been said set yourself up right in the first place,don’t be afraid to get out and look,other drivers should help if they see you struggling tell them your knew to it everyone has to learn

An old guy came out when I was struggling to get on a bay not long after I had passed my class 1 and said “imagine the line you would take driving out from the bay and try and follow it backwards onto the bay”.
And use all the room you need try and get the trailer nearly straight half way down the white lines on the bay gives you the last few feet to get it straight.

Jeff.